Author Topic: Just some pics from this year and a question.  (Read 1801 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just some pics from this year and a question.
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:05:10 PM »
First of all, I received a tuber from Tracey that she wasn't sure about after her husband dumped it on the ground and it sat there all night. Well, here it is. It had new little pads coming out all over it.

Also, the only tropical that I have is doing a blooming marathon.

I'll post a better pic later.

Now, for the question. Can some one tell me what plant this is?

We found this plant sitting in a bucket of water at the last house we lived in. The blooms produce bulbs and not seeds. I saw something similar at Kit and Ben Knots's house in Cocoa Beach. The pics were taken a little late. Any help will be appreciated.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Just some pics from this year and a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »
I don't know but it is a very interesting plant.  I like it!  Though I've never seen a plant that that blooms produce bulbs instead of seeds.  ?)(?
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:09:36 PM »
I have a spider lily that looks like that when it's spent.  It grows new bulbs every year and is easy to divide since it's its own bulb.  If your plant is really tall it could be a Crinum Lily.  Mine has a light fragrance in the evenings.  That's my guess.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:17:20 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »
It needs dividing. The tallest plant in the pot is 3.5-4' tall. I noticed today that some of the bulbs are swelling up really big and some are wilting off.

Thanks for the input.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:08:08 PM »
Annette, I did some Google searches for the two guesses that you made. You guessed right the second time. It is a Crinum  lily. I may have bulbs to give away seeing that I can divide this plant into four and I have a young plant that was started from the first bulb that I got off of it.

Thank you,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 07:47:15 PM »
hey Scott, you can put me on the waiting list for one of those bulbs  8-)~

is it evergreen or do the leaves die back each year?

and i do believe your tuber is going to live despite having suffered spousal abuse!! O0
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi Scott, if it isn't a Crinum Asiaticum then it may be a Spider Liliy (http://www.briartech.com/summer/slily/slily.htm)If there is no webbng between the petals.....then it is probably a Crinum. 

Paul  :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 04:43:08 AM »
Paul, I considered the webbing in my decision. There was no webbing on my blooms. It's a crinum.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »
So do I get a prize?   :D ;D ;)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
So do I get a prize?   :D ;D ;)

Only if you want a Crinum Lily bulb. ;D ;D

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »
The Crinum asiaticum var. procerum, form splendens is one that I have, along with a variegated form that is green with white stripes in the leaf but I hope to find a source for the ones on this page someday.    http://www.crinum.org/crinpics/ch_4.html    ;D

Paul  :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 07:41:04 PM »
One can never have too many!!  But I'll take a rain check and let you spread the good cheer!  Glad you now have a name for "that" plant  ;)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"