Author Topic: What's wrong with my lotus  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What's wrong with my lotus
« on: July 21, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
My lotus looks like something has been chewing on it and some of the edges are crunchy.  I think it is those stupid japanese bettles they are on everything.  Here is a picture of it.

The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with my lotus
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »
Oh, I don't know.  I've seen several japanese beatles around here too, more than normal.  For some reason I keep finding them dead on my swing on the deck.  Don't know what is killing them, but what ever it is I hope it keeps it up.  The only thing I have sprayed is wasp/hornet killer.  I've killed three huge hornets this past week on the deck, must have a nest somewhere in a neighbors tree.

I agree with the others, that don't look like Japanese Beatle damage to me either.  Did this happen quickly, or maybe after a bad storm?

Kim
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:08:23 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 04:03:32 AM »
I'm no more than a green horn  ;D and I've never even had the pleasure of growing a lotus yet, but that doesn't look like insect damage to me. BUT, I have over fertilized and burnt a few plants in my time, and the end result kinda looked like that.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:42:10 AM »
That doesn't look like Japanese beetles.  Something is definitely wrong, I hope someone will be able to help you!!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »
Monica, how often do you fertilize them?

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »
If Scott is leaning toward backing off the food, then I agree one hundred ten percent.   Shades of a decade ago when mine looked like that. :'(
It's the same lotus as was in the post with my grandson in the picture.  I haven't fed it since it looked like yours and look at it now!  http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3725.0

Paul    :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:53:25 PM by Koi Boi »

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:42:54 PM »
I would also suggest over fertilization. I haven't fertilized mine now for 3 years, and it looks perfect. I've also lost two now to over fertilizing.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Lorraine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 05:50:10 AM »
Wow, THAT looks like my Lotus. I have two and have had nothing this year. I use Jobs tomatoe spikes, one a week. Put at least two in each one.Since they look so crappy,I haven't put any in for a few weeks now. So too much is bad in this case?
Lorraine

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 06:08:59 AM »
I have had lotus do that too. I don't know why. But I personally have never lost one that looked like that. Stop fertilizing if you are doing it.

Offline mcp

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 06:58:50 AM »
Not no plant expert either but have to echo everyone else . Looks like over fertilization. Also looks like the pot does not have much water in it. Try not fertilizing for a month. Hope she gets better. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
Wow Koi boi that is one monster of a lotus.  I have been fertilizing it alot this year because it didn't bloom last year so I thought I would fertilize it more often this year and I hoped it would bloom.  guess I was wrong. 

MCP I read somewhere that lotus didn't need to have a lot of water over them so I only keep a couple inches over it instead of keeping it full. 
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"