Author Topic: ithuriel's spear  (Read 1492 times)

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
ithuriel's spear
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:11:32 PM »
i bought this pack of bulbs the first year we started planting the yard. it was sold as 'california hyacinths'. i thought i was getting a hyacinth that was especially suited to california. but it looked nothing like a hyacinth when it came up! over the years it has multiplied and gotten to be quite the show when it is blooming. the first 2 shots here are actually from a couple of year's ago - just to show you the overall effect of the plant. i didn't get any overall pics this year - i was busy focusing on the closeups and the last one is my favorite of them. i would call this one of my better mistakes! ;D

its common name is ithuriel's spear and it is in the lily family. i have never seen the bulbs again and apparently it is not readily available, although i found a few places online that carry it. the bulbs were eaten by native americans. i may have to try them when i move these in a short while to put in a row of tub ponds.

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
Re: ithuriel's spear
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:13:43 PM »
I love it!

Paul  :)

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:35:06 AM »
Real pretty color!!
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:45:58 AM »
Nice clump Ed.  I bought some potted a couple of years ago and I look forward to them getting as bountiful as yours.  If you want more I recommend going to a native plant sale where they will often have them.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
What a beautiful find!!  Looks like they multiplied very nicely.  Love the color too.

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:30:29 AM »
thanks all!

actually Mike i plan to thin them out when i move them and trade off the extras. the large clump pics were in the third year after i planted them and it really seemed to take off that year. i think i want to make more of a rounded planting out of them rather than a row. maybe closer to the pond. just waiting for this year's bloom to finish and then shortly after that the leaves will brown, and then i'll lift them.
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »
Supposedly they re-seed well.  Have you tried gathering the seeds?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 09:28:09 PM »
no, i've never tried harvesting the seeds Mike. i suspect that learning more about gathering seeds from various varieties is something i will be trying to learn more about later this year when i've got more free time indoors to research it. but these have multiplied quite nicely with no help from me over the years.
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"