Author Topic: New Mosaic Mailbox (pond related)  (Read 2579 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
New Mosaic Mailbox (pond related)
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »
Some of you may remember the last mosaic mailbox I made in Florida.

Here's our home in Texas. It needs a little curb appeal! I'm thinking about getting new shutters in a maroon color and painting the window trim white. It's just too flat.

To help, I relocated some bushes and put in this awesome ceramic pot.

Next, I'm adding a mosaic mailbox. I hesitated to do a koi, as I think fish are so difficult to draw! In one of my books, I found one that I thought I could attempt. You can see my start and the photo inspiration here.

This angle shows how the head is a darker copper color than the body. It's kind of subtle.

Here is the koi completed.

Next, I'm filling in a waterlily on the lid. I've got to go find some dark red glass before I can get going with it. The pencil sketch is a little difficult to see.

I will also put a lily pad under the bloom and fill in the background of the base with a gradient of blue tiles. I'm thinking about framing in the house number with a white box for high contrast. I started this project last night around oh, 10 p.m. and this is where I am with about 3 hours into it so far.

Thanks for looking!

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Mosaic Mailbox (pond related)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
That looks great, and what a great idea.  (I want one  ;D). 

I really like your planter, and the colors you have chosen for your shutters and trim will look good.  I'm like you....gotta have the curb appeal. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
Thanks, Kim! I got that planter from the local water garden store. It was marked off 75% from $200 down to $50. The sides are wavy and it's huge. Such a deal! I almost put my baby doll lotus in it, but thought the plants might be more interesting.

I purchased two large camelias yesterday and am thinking about relocating the boxwoods from the front of the house and making some better border beds. Something that comes out from the house a little further and that is a little more curvy. I'd also like to thin out that massive magnolia a bit, at least trim the lower branches. I've gotta duck every time I mow the lawn under it!!!  :o

Has anyone ever tiled a front porch? Ours has some cracks in it that I could repair and cover with a membrane before tiling. Maybe a dark slate? I know it has to be slip resistant and also must tolerate our temperature extremes here in Dallas.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »
So creative JC!  The mosaics are beautiful.

That Magnolia tree is as big as a house.  With property values the way they ae now you can build a tree house  ;D

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »
That looks amazing! Love it! o(:-)

hey! are the shutters plastic or vinyl? You can get that fusion spray paint in burgundy and just paint them. I did it when we moved to this house 4 years ago. We had faded plastic hunter green and I painted them black. They look great still and we get blazing sun in the afternoon. I thought they would fade and/or chip, but they don't.
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »
Wonderful job Jessica. You haven't lost your touch I see.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
Thanks again for all of the comments! I have the lily pad done as well as the stem on the bloom. The white box is also around the house number. I can't find the right color for the petals locally, so I guess the project is delayed until I can find a source. Guess I can help DH with his furniture project for the rest of the evening!

Kathy, the shutters are original to the house and dated. I would like to update with louvre (sp?) shutters--the kind with slats. We can either buy wooden ones or the vinyl and precolored ones you mentioned. Good to know that we could easily spray paint them someday!

Thanks again!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
Jessica, your mosaic looks great! I stumbled on a box of glass at a garage sale, but have no clue what to do with it. I wish I had your bravery.  ;)

Funny, but after living 25 years in a house with louvered shutters, both my hubby and I were going to opt for raised panel shutters similar to the ones on your current house. I think the louvered (slatted) ones were the dated ones!
Our contractor says the house looks better without any shutters, but I think it looks naked. Either way, I'm happy to be almost rid of the plain farmhouse shutters that were on here.

That is a beautiful pot.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »
LOL, Karen. I figured mine are dated since they're original and the house was built in '65. Oh, but you should see one house on our block. They have raised ones too, painted bright burnt orange with the raised details highlighted white. The landscaping, etc. is beautiful....but those shutters!  :o :o Hmmm....now I wonder what really is dated!  lol We hope to build a custom home in about 5 years or so. If Gary is reading, that may or may not be in Texas. Who knows?!!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 09:01:16 PM »
looks beautiful jessica!  O0

but why go with just a white box behind the numbers? why not go all the way and fill the background around the fish as well with a pond water blue or sea mist green for the contrast?
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »
I'd agree about taking out the box hedge, particularly the one between the 2 windows, it looks too isolated.  I like your idea of replacing them with wider freeform beds.  Layered heights of perennials and annuals that are lower under the windows and higher between them would be nice.   I'd also like the idea of taking off the lower limbs of the tree, I think it would open up the whole yard more.  You could also box in the porch support, one or both, with lattice and grow blooming vines on them.

Why not spray paint a couple of the existing shutters, hang them up and see if it is enough of a change before you buy new ones.  Plus, you could experiment with the color on the existing ones and if you don't like it, you wanted new ones anyway  ;)   I like the colors in your big pot, is that the burgundy you were thinking about?

Beautiful home, and I love the mailbox koi.  Really nice and the tiles of the koi are gorgeous.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:47:31 PM »
Beautiful job and great idea. You have alot of talent maybe you should go in bussiness. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 03:53:18 AM »
How very creative, I love it!  8-)~
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 04:28:51 AM »
Very nice Jessica!!!
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 07:54:57 AM »
Very neat!  The house is pretty too  :)
Joey

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »
Here's what I got done last night.

Ed, I was so busy trying to get my photo links correct that I probably didn't explain my intentions with the rest of it well. I'm thinking about using the dark blue border from the base to fill in behind the lily on the lid to look like sky vs. water. What do you think?

Johnna, good suggestions. I too think the house would be so much more visible without all of those magnolia branches hanging so low. It's sure been a hassle tree. I have raked as many as 60 gallons of leaves per week this summer! I'm not sure if all of this unusual rain had something to do with it or what. Maybe it needs to be fertilized...something else I need to learn about.

mcp, my grandmother-in-law is staying with us right now and has been watching my progress. She asked what I would do if someone asked me to make one. With the time and considering that each piece is hand cut, my price would be too high, I'm sure. It's pretty easy though, I suggest anyone try it! The mailbox was $20 on ebay, so not too bad. You could also do like I did last time and built the mosaic on a thin sheet of acrylic and then bond it to the mailbox when you're happy. My favorite mosaic artist is Martin Cheek, here are some great ideas! http://www.cheekmosaics.com/html/series_2.html I almost did the Cheek butterfly, but DH thought it was too girly. LOL!

Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
I love the mailboxes Jessica! O0 I'm envious of folks who have the ability to mosaic. I can't seem to make them look nice. ::)
I'll be anxious to see the pics when you have it done. :)

Your house is nice and I think the right shade of maroon shutters would look very nice. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »
Jessica, the mailbox is spectacular. Love it.

I agree that limbing up the Magnolias is a good idea. No fun to duck when mowing. They are wonderful mature trees even if messy.

I agree with ripping out the boxwood and your plan for that bed sounds great.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 09:20:02 PM »
Very cool mailbox!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
Why not spray paint a couple of the existing shutters, hang them up and see if it is enough of a change before you buy new ones.  Plus, you could experiment with the color on the existing ones and if you don't like it, you wanted new ones anyway  Wink

Jonna, wow! Thanks for that great idea. We've been agonizing about shutters... what an easy way to test them!

Jessica, I think I know what you mean about the Magnolias... if it's the same Magnolia. When we lived in Va, we had a giant Magnolia grandiflora that constantly made a mess. Same tree?  If so, it really is quite messy.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 04:53:06 AM »
Jessica, i'd stick with the water blue. your perspective on both fish and lily is looking down at about a 45 degree angle. you wouldn't see the sky from that view. but it does look beautiful at this point!
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 07:44:45 AM »
Very creative.

I think that lily bloom will look like it is standing up out of the water.  What a great idea.

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:07:15 AM »
Wow your mailbox looks amazing.  You are very artistic.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"