Author Topic: Desert Pond doing OK  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Desert Pond doing OK
« on: September 12, 2006, 01:48:18 AM »
I hope some of you remember me, I'm the one who built a pond out in the desert in Cathedral City, CA and I'm only here a couple times a year.  My friend keeps an eye on it and I do major work when I'm here.  Other times, we are traveling in our RV - summers in the US and winter in Mexico and Central America.  Anyway, I'm back in Cat City and getting things fixed and happy again.  This summer the banana's I planted near the skippy broke the drain pipe, they were too happy there.  We fixed it and moved things so the bananas can't get the drain again... I hope.  The underwater lights had also failed so I dumped them and ended up buying more from http://www.mainlandmart.com/aquapump.html  I"m really happy with them, they seem better built and sturdier and I really like the multi-color changing LED ring.  My pond is not supposed to look natural, it's a desert fantasy and the changing colors of the light really work.

Through all this the lilies seem to be very happy.  The pond is clear and there is no string algae or really much of any algae.  It almost worries me, it is so clear.  The fish seem happy though and the plants are good so I guess it is healthy.  Here's some pics I took of the lilies blooming.

Afterglow

Afterglow

Afterglow and Silver Mist

Silver Mist

Mexicana

The other tropicals bloomed this summer but not while I've been here.  I'd love to see the night bloomer but so far no luck. 

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Desert Pond doing OK
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:06:30 AM »
Wow Jonna, you must be doing something right cuz everything looks soooo healthy!  (8:-)
I haven't seen water that clear in my pond all year  :(
Whatever your not doing to your pond...keep doing it.  ;D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 05:52:07 AM »
Everything looks great, like it gets lots of TLC, hard to believe you're not working on it everyday of the year, like the rest of us ;)
It sounds like you have an interesting life, and getting to see and do a lot.  I have always had a joke with hubby that I should have married a truck driver that would have retired and driven me anywhere I wanted to go in an RV.  He doesn't like to drive long distances.  :P
Welcome back to the forum!
Karen

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 09:45:43 AM »
I would say it's doing more than ok! Looks wonderful!!
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »
Looks great!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »
Jonna, How nice of you to pop in with an update. I remember you well, as I particularly enjoyed your detailed postings when you were building the pond.
It looks fabulous.

Hope you've had some great traveling this year. Where are you going next?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline sunnyaz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »
Love the water lily "Silver Mist'. Were did you find it?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »
thanks guys!   o(:-) o(:-)

I wonder if the "benign neglect" is what is keeping it going.  I like to think that I built it with "good bones" and that is what helps it stay together.  There have been problems, the original Wakin died the first year from bad food - neither I nor my friend who lives here realized that it had to be refrigerated in this heat.  It was inside but not in the frig.  But, life goes on, they had about 25 little wakin that are now happy in the pool.  I added one butterfly koi this year who is about the same size as the largest wakin.  We had a snail explosion during the first winter as well and they clogged the pump to the point that it wasn't working enough to run the waterfall.  We cleaned that out and I spent a month picking out snails every night.  I was happy to see that there were only a few this year.  This year the banana broke the skippy drain but that's fixed and I am hoping that all will be well this winter.  I can't get the side intake for the pump to work, the pump loses prime.  My guess is that there is air coming in somewhere or that the check valve is not working.  If we have time this trip, I will get in the pond and take that line apart to see if I can fix it.  Currently, the pump is drawing from the bottom drain and that makes me nervous when I'm gone. 

Here's a pic of pond

and a picture of the fish where you can sort of see Roy the blue/grey butterfly koi.  Taking pics of the fish is really hard.  I'm looking at getting another camera anyway but I wish I could try it out on fish to see if it helped.

I got Silver Mist from Van Ness Water Gardens http://www.vnwg.com/catlist.jsp?catid=5&startrec=6 which is an hours drive from here.  I also got Afterglow there. 

We are here until the end of Sept and then off to Denver for a week, Albuquerque for a couple weeks, Livingston Texas for a week and then we go south of the border.  Not sure yet what our plans are while down there other than a friend is flying in to the Yucatan where our condo is on the 19th of December so we have to be there to pick her up. 

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »
The pond looks lovely.  The flowers are gorgeous.  You must have designed the pond very well to run that smoothly with so little interference.  It certainly is gorgeous!

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »
Very nice pond indeed! I love afterglow. We had one a couple years ago. It was a favourite but didn't survive the winter. I hope to get a new one next year.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 06:55:44 PM »
Certainly we remember you!

Glad you're back. Pond looks wonderful. Baby wakins sure have grown up. I still love that deck. Sorry about pump troubles, hope it is easy to fix.

Enjoy your next trips. Denver is somewhere I'd sure like to visit again.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 11:53:58 PM »
Hi Jonna,

Well done, it looks like your foresight and planning got you to the 'right first time' phase on what is a quite sophisticated project, creating a little oasis in the desert

It is interesting to see the 50% or so shade factor has worked for you in a tricky desert climate, the algae green water tamed, you might give the waterlilies a nudge of fertility and think about perking the buds up some as a tweak

Always an interesting balance, achieving good steady blooms, perky fish and good water clarity

Very well done.

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 11:07:24 PM »
Thanks.  I agree that the lilies need some food, I'm going to pull them up and poke some osmacote into the pots this week.  The Afterglow has abour 4 buds coming up now and Silver Mist has 3.  The night bloomer doesn't have any and I'm hoping it just needs fetilizer.  From what I read, it could bloom here all winter and it did bloom during the summer while I was gone.  I also need to pull out some of the Mexicana, it's the only hardy in there and it is spreading out of its pot and across the pond. 

There are shade cloth curtains that pull across 2 ends of the pond.  We took the one down behind the skippy, it really isn't practical as the taro (and the canna before I took it out) get so big that they shade the pond in the early morning from that direction.  The one at the opposite end is kept closed in the summer (it was open for the picture) as that end gets sun all afternoon.  I took the pic in the morning and some sun does come in along the side but it is morning sun and doesn't last very long.  I was not sure the lilies would bloom in these conditions but I'm guessing there is so much reflected light that it worked.  I do look for lilies that say they can take some shade.

I got the side intake working today by blasting into it with the hose.  The check valve still does not stop water from flowing back into the pond from the skippy though so friday we are going to replace the check valve and install the new one on a threaded pipe so it can be removed without draining the pond so low.  We will have to drain the pond at least half way on Friday to let the pvc glue dry but hopefully that will be the last time we have to do that. 

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 05:36:22 AM »
After this very unusually hot summer this year, your pond and plants look great, I had stuff frying and crisping up here in Los Angeles, so cannot imagine the desert. Good bones indeed.

Love Mexico and Central America - I envy your life. I assume you've diven that road 'straight up into the sky' from Puerto Angel to San Cristobal de las Casas. Awesome that. The Central Market in Guatamala City also is one of my favs. The colours of all the spices, beans etc being sold are so vibrant, it is difficult to describe. Are the border crossings getting any easier? I remember trying to figure out just how much the minimum bribe was to get my tyres sprayed, and all my wad of paperwork in order. Fond memories.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »
Borders are always stressful.  So far, no bribes paid.  I can't say it is always easy but patience and a dumb smile work pretty well.  If I don't like the answer I just keep smiling until they come up with something better.  If I really don't like the answer I pretend I don't understand it, I have selective spanish comprehension!  I only understand what I want to hear.  O0

We skipped Guatemala City to avoid the traffic and everything that goes with a big city.  We had an interesting trip skipping it though.  We'd been up in the mountains at a Quetzal sanctuary, the Quetzal is the national bird of Guatemala and extremely beautiful and pretty rare.  We didn't see one but did hear them  :-\   From there, on the map, it looked like a highway called CA5, Central America 5,  went to the north side of Guatemala City which would let us skip the city and go right on to Antigua.  So, we look for this "highway" and eventually find it as a small 2 lane road. Another 20 miles and the pavement gives out but the road continues...  We kept going and in the end we crossed an entire range of mountains, 3 times up to about 6000' and down again, on a dirt road that was about one and a half lanes wide.  It took us 8 hours over 2 days to go less than 50 miles.  Hey, we had a blast though!  We went through small villages and passed farms and homes so far out there that they would run across the valley to the road to watch us pass.  They could see us coming for a long time because the road just wound around the hills and we were going really slow.  We had gifts for the kids, small cars and dolls, and we would hand those to the parents and watch the kids eyes light up when they got them.  We felt like Santa Claus coming through with his reindeer we were so odd looking to most of them.  It was our 27' Class C motorhome towing a jeep wrangler and our friends 27' 5th wheel towed by a pickup.  We spent one night along the way in a small town and the whole town came out to meet us.  The old grandmothers were in the back of big bicycle trikes being ridden by their grandkids, looking very grand and dignified like QEII in the back of a carriage.  They were very, very nice and offered us whatever they had.  At the end we came out just where the map said we would and skirted the north edge of Guatemala City and on to Antigua.  Wonderful trip, we've had coffee mugs and t-shirts made from pictures of our rigs going around those mountain corners.  It ended up one of the best stories from the trip.  So, we have a saying "no bad roads" and it means that there are some that are very difficult and some that are very slow but there is a story and an experience to be had on all of them. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"