Author Topic: Does Anyone Take Imitrex?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Does Anyone Take Imitrex?
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
My neurologist gave me some samples of Imitrex to try because Zomig is more expensive for less pills with my insurance. I had a bad reaction and can't take it.

I have 3- 100 mg pills in sealed foil packages that I would be happy to send in a padded envelope for postage.

I know they are expensive so I thought someone might use them rather than me throwing them away. The doctor can't take them back.

Sadly none of the other drugs I tried, Amerge and Maxalt worked as well and the most expensive Zomig. The good news is that after over a decade of pain, Zomig does work.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Take Imitrex?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:22:43 AM »
I take Zomig too. Imitrex would only work part of the time for me. Zomig works every time. It is expensive but so worth it. ;)

My doctor won't write the RX for the 90 day supply to my insurance mail-order pharmacy so I have to get it three pills at a time from Sam's Club. Its $56 for the three pills. I can use a half of a 5mg pill and it will take care of my headache, so I get six headaches out of three pills. :D
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »
LeeAnne,

Well, I don't remember you mentioning you suffer from migraine!  Odd that you receive benefit from Zomig but not from immatrex, since they are both "triptans".  Both have proved equally effective for me (i have not had a confirmed Migraine in the last four years).  There were times when only injectable Demerol provided relief, happily those times seem to be gone.  As we age, the incidence of migraines seem to diminish.  I hope that will be true for you, although as young as you are, it may take some time.

I do want to thank you for showing us your garden and guiding us through the  Rose and Japanese gardens in Portland.  It is, indeed, a beautiful city..

Offline Oceanbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
I take Zomig, too. I used to take Imitrex but my doc changed it. My insurance just lowered my co-pay on my Zomig and I was thrilled!! Then I found out they also lowered the number of pills I was getting. It was $25 for 6 pills. Now I get 4 pills for $10. It's still cheaper but now it's just the pain of having to renew it all the time and the fact that I can still only renew it once a month. So I went from being "allowed" 6 migraines a month to 4. You gotta love those insurance companies, don't you?!!!  {:-P;;
Becky

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »
Dang! I wish I could get 4 pills for $10!!
My insurance will allow 6 pills per mo. but you have to order 90 days worth. It would be $40 for the 90 days. My doc wont write the script because I have high blood pressure and she wants to make sure she controls how much zomig I use. ::)
Shanna

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
I use the Zomig, they tried Maxalt but it did not get the job done, then they gave me Imitrex and I thought they killed me. Hubby takes the Imitrex, he said it is better than my Zomig for him.
Have a blessed day

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »
luvmyasagis
You have mail. The pills are gone folks.

Johns, you are very welcome. It was a great day.

Shanna, find another doctor, that is BS that yours won't work with you to save you money by using the mail order pharmacy.

I pay $50 for 6  2.5 mg Zomig and they will only fill once a month. Mail order would be $100 for 18.

Imitrex is $30 for 9 mail order $60 for 27 ditto Maxalt and Amerge. The Imitrex made me break out in a sweat/chills, heart palpitations, anxiety and hyperventilate but didn't touch my headache.

No reaction with Maxalt and Amerge but no change to headache.

Zomig stops a full blown Migraine for me but I have to take it again the next day and the next as mine generally last three days.

It took years for doctors to agree that I had Migraines and give me statins. They kept saying they were muscle tension and giving me pain killers and muscle relaxants and sending me to physical therapy and biofeedback. Nothing I ever tried stopped or even relieved a full blown headache. Not Vicodin, not Codiene, not Caffiene or 800 mg of Ibuprofen or any combinations. Zomig works.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »
I had one one time and this thing lasted for 6 weeks, I could not lay down I had to sleep what little I could sitting up. I would cry it made it worse, you could not even touch my head it was like I was bruised. I was put in the hospital twice. The second time they were giving me morphine, amatriptaline (check spelling) and phemabarbatol (spelling agian) and several other pills that after about 4 days finally got rid of it and at that moment when that headache left I decided that my Dr. was an angel
Have a blessed day

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »
Actually, I've used "Naproxen" for my migraine for almost 10 years now, and it does the trick for me ..
-all other migraine meds give me much discomfort and nausia as well.

Just wanted to share this with you.
zone 8a

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »
It is brand name Aleve here in the US and it didn't work for me in over the counter and prescription strength but it might work for someone else reading this.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 04:29:12 AM »
Shanna, I AM happy about the $10!!! Don't get me wrong!!!! Every time I pay and the cashier says "That will be $10" it's like music to my ears!!!!!  @O@ @O@ @O@
Becky

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:13:48 AM »
Every time I pay and the cashier says "That will be $10" it's like music to my ears!!!!!

It would be to mine too! I wish it wasn't so darn expensive! :(

LeeAnne.......its because I already have high blood pressure. She doesn't like the fact that I need to take the Zomig. The triptans raise your blood pressure substantially and mine will often soar to around 185 or 190 when I take the Zomig. Its not so much an issue that she won't help me to get the drug cheaper, she just wants to make sure I don't take more of it than she's comfortable with.
Shanna

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 08:12:46 AM »
I could never take the oral stuff.  I get so nauseated that my stomach just shuts down...I think it is like a shock reaction.  I have used Imitrex successfully, but only the injectible.  The nasal spray nor the pills did a thing for me but make me more nauseated.  Funny to say, nope, I'll stab myself...thanks!
I have had some success with Maxalt if I can catch it early enough.  The melts (Maxalt MLT) thta melt under my tongue.
I know what you mean Johns, about demerol injection being the only thing that works sometimes.  But Docs have gotten so resistant to giving it for fear of a rebound headache that it is ridiculous.  Last time I ended up in the ER with an intractiable headache (and I work in this small hosp) I had to have IV infusions.  As opposed to giving me a demerol shot to break the cycle and sending me home.   Lemme see.... IV meds and administration that cost hundreds of dollars plus extra ER time or a $10 demerol shot.  Maybe they should foot the bill and do the hours of suffering until the meds finally kick in?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
I am lucky that I don't get nauseated with my headaches. I do get sensitive to light in the eye that the headache clusters behind. I don't see any kind of aura either. Which is why at least five primary care doctors insisted they weren't migraines. The neurologist says that not even half of migraine sufferers have nausea, aura and light sensitivity. He wonders that I didn't go postal. I've missed a ton of work and play because of headaches.

Shanna, OK hopefully these drugs will come down in price soon.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"