Author Topic: What Do You Think of Butterfly Koi?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What Do You Think of Butterfly Koi?
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
Just wondering if you all ponders like the variety of koi called "butterfly".   

I do own a couple, because I like their colors.  But I must admit, I, personally, am not fond of their long fins.  They just look sorta queer to me.  On goldfish, the long fins seem right.  But on koi, even though they flow prettily behind as the fish swim, the fins just are odd.  IMO.

How about you?

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Think of Butterfly Koi?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
IMO they are just beautiful. I think that Koi are not "natural" Carp anyway - so why not longfins too ..
Queer or not LOL  ;D - Butterfly Koi are my first choice :)  o(:-)

I think I read somewhere, that Butterfly Koi is a co-breed between the ordinary Koi and a Korean Carp which is brown but longfin...
zone 8a

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »
Oh me too. I LOVE the Butterfly koi.  o(:-) I would have a whole pond of them if I could.  8-)~

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:08:09 PM »
I have one dark Gray/black butterfly koi. It's OK, but not my favorite. I don't have anything against them, I just prefer the standard koi personally.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »
Hmmm.  I wonder if there IS a difference in personalities between regular and butterfly koi.  Come to think of it, my standard koi are the ones swimming around aggressively and swarming over the food, etc.  The butterflies do tend to be a bit more subdued. 

Yeah, I like the rowdy ones, too.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
I've only owned one butterfly koi and she was a beautiful (European) butter color.  Alas she caught a bug from a new koi and died with a few other too

The first time I saw butterfly koi is at Newport Beach's Fashion Island where they are huge and colorful like Cliff and Joann's.  When I had the chance to buy one that was affordable I did.

Now butterfly-less I am in love with Shubunkins with their flowing fins  :D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 12:18:58 PM »
I love my Butterfly's.  Like the others said, if I could have a whole pond of them I would.  I love to watch their fins flow as they swim.  There colors are beautiful.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 02:51:46 PM »
To me, regular koi looked kind of chopped off, their fins look too short and stubby.  I love the butterfly but they are the only koi I like.  The others are too chunky and I don't like their shape.  I suppose the butterfly are the same body shape but it looks more natural and it elongates it somewhat so the chunky, bulldog look doesn't happen.  I guess I'm just a greyhound vs bulldog kind of person.  I'll tell you the regular koi that really creep me out are the ones that look like a halloween skeleton costume.  I don't know what they are called but I think they are butt ugly.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »
Love the butterflys. They are my favorites in the pond. I just bought a 4-5" yellow one this summer. I have a scaleless pure white one and a huge pumpkin color one.  If I ever get any more fish, they will be butterflys. They seem so much more graceful to watch swim. I'm not so apt to think of a fish fry when I look at them. JOKE!! Wonder if people ever ate Koi. Bet they do.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 05:18:35 PM »
I like long-fins more than I do butterflies and yes, they are two different varieties. Long-fins don't have the frailly fins like butterflies but they have fins longer than normal koi.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
Huh? Odd? we look odd, when we swim away?

Slowly they turn, step by step!... "who said that? where is she? where is she!?!"
"Lemme at her, Lemme at her!"   >:(-

Julies, my ladies are insulted!   >:(

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »
You know, they ARE very pretty.

I am betting that when my butterflies get bigger, they will fill out some and their fins will lengthen, and I'll come to appreciate their flowing beauty. When they're small, you just don't get the full effect.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »
I like long-fins more than I do butterflies and yes, they are two different varieties. Long-fins don't have the frailly fins like butterflies but they have fins longer than normal koi.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(

Scott, I'm not sure who told you this but longfins are called longfin koi, butterfly koi, dragon koi, etc.. 
No difference between a longfin and butterfly..
Two Names ( or more) which fin size and shape can vary.
  if you don't believe me, ask a koi judge they would know.  Or even a Longfin/Butterfly breeder.. Vance Schultz himself.

Beautiful pix Joann.. love 'em.

The History and Development of Longfin Koi

My account of the history of the longfin koi comes from Mr. Megumi Yoshida, a very well respected koi dealer from Japan for many years.  I have had a chance to question a few other Japanese koi breeders and they have all agreed with the history.

A Japanese prince was a guest in Thailand when he was presented with some longfin Indonesian black carp.  Upon his return to Japan, the black carp were turned over to one of the Prefectures.  They then began breeding the Indonesian carp to nishikigoi (standard koi) in an attempt to produce new vigor and hardiness.  After some experimentation, the offspring from the crosses were obtained by Mr. Suda.  Mr. Suda produced some very impressive Longfin Kohaku, Showa, Utsuri and Sanke; he crossed these longfins into his standard koi bloodline.  For a period of time, these longfins were very popular and demand was great.  Then, it was declared that the longfin would not be allowed to compete in shows.  This caused the popularity and demand for the fish to drop overnight.

After a time of near oblivion, the popularity of the longfin slowly grew in the United States.  Customers were becoming more intrigued with the beauty of the long flowing fins and were less concerned with entering the fish in a show.  Several breeders continued crossing the longfin with standard koi to produce a higher quality fish.  A good number of fish were now being produced that were excellent representatives of many of the standard koi patterns.  Because of demand, numerous Japanese and United States’ breeders are now producing longfin again.  There is a lot of room for improvement, but the quality improves with each season.

Longfin koi are known by numerous names.  Butterfly koi, water dragons, dragon carp and hirenagagoi (hire=fin, naga=long, goi=koi) are just some of the names used.  They will never compete against standard koi in a koi show.  Judging standards do not reward extremely long fins and shouldn't.  Actually the finnage would be a demerit instead of a plus.  Many shows are now including a special category for longfins which allows them to be judged amongst themselves under their own set of standards.  This now gives a special place for longfins to be displayed and for more people to enjoy their unique beauty.  As the popularity of longfin koi grows, their significance in koi shows may become greater. But, the majority of koi owners do not show fish and only own fish to enjoy their individual beauty.  The flowing gracefulness of the longfin koi will make them popular with koi keepers long into the future.

Written by Vance Schultz of Tank Hollow  http://www.tankhollowfisheries.com/history.shtml
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 08:00:25 PM by Bonnie »

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:05:36 PM »
Longfin/butterfly/whatever koi are just as tasty to a heron as standard Koi.  The world's MOST expensive bird food!  :D {:-P;; :( :( :(
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 09:23:14 AM »
To me, regular koi looked kind of chopped off, their fins look too short and stubby.  I love the butterfly but they are the only koi I like.  The others are too chunky and I don't like their shape.  I suppose the butterfly are the same body shape but it looks more natural and it elongates it somewhat so the chunky, bulldog look doesn't happen.  I guess I'm just a greyhound vs bulldog kind of person.

Jonna said exactly how I feel. I truly prefer goldfish to koi but if talking about koi, I prefer the butterflies.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:03 AM »

I think I've figured it out... Butterfly koi look better when they're a solid color, or nearly so.  I have two that are tri-color, meaning head one color, body another, and rear end another, with yet another color on the tail.  These, to me, with their long fins, look rather silly. 

But the one I have that is shimmery silver with long fins is quite pretty.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »
I've had Comets for several years and I find their long tails to be graceful as they swim through the water.  It's for the graceful look of their fins that I like the "long-fin" Koi.  I have one large regular Koi mutt and he....well, he just looks like a big fish. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »
I broke down this summer & bought 2 butterfly koi for the lily pond...hopeing they will eat some of that duckweed that's taken over... >:(- . I perfer butterfly myself , their long fin's flowing in the water. AND Joann your butterfly koi are BEAUTIFUL.. love 'em.
bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Joann's Butterflies WIN....Just Beautiful...how could you not see it?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
Bonnie, nobody told me. I read it in a koi mag with pics. I don't want a fish that looks like it fins got caught in the pump and got stretched beyond recognition. A koi with good crisp fins is desireable to me.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 06:05:27 PM »
Bonnie, nobody told me. I read it in a koi mag with pics. I don't want a fish that looks like it fins got caught in the pump and got stretched beyond recognition. A koi with good crisp fins is desireable to me.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(

Scott, whatever koi magazine it was.. I'd sure like to know because that's not correct.

Longfins/Butterfly, etc can either have the VERYlong very jagged/shredded looking fins or they can have fins that are long and more even - just longer than a standard koi.

BTW, this isn't personal so please don't take it wrong..just someone is giving out wrong info.

Don't believe me.. Ask the judges on the forums.
I don't think you go to Koiphen anymore so ask on Koishack.. If anyone knows, it will be them! o( o(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:11:34 PM by Bonnie »

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 06:47:47 PM »
I have to agree with everyone else butterfly are my favorite I just love their fins  o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 06:55:27 PM »
personally i don't think about them much at all. i try to do that with things i can't have.  :tease:

but i do always love to see Joann posting pics of her beautiful butterflies and consider them to be the most attractive of all the pond fish. if i had a big enough pond for koi, i would want some butterflies in it for sure!!

me, i'm just thrilled that i've finally bred some comet goldfish in my pond. i had 'commons' and comet tailed 'shubs' and now i've got 2 comets that have yet to change color so i'm pretty sure they'll be standard orange. that amount of long fins will have to do for me.  o(
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"