Author Topic: Any good ideas?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
Any good ideas?
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »
On my 1st fish buying trip I bought several Sarasa Comets. Big mistake they are so mean. They pick on the little fantails so bad; eating their tails and even putting little Sara's eye out. They killed an Orunda.

I spoke to Pet Smart and they will let me bring them back, but how do you catch them? My daughter and I spent the morning in the pond with nets. But they are way too fast and quick to hide. The little fantails and Koi came all around us to see what was going on, but those comets literally disappeared.

Any input would be appreciated.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Any good ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:45:07 PM »
You may try feeding your fish 1st thing in the morning when they are hungriest and keep the net ready.  Unless they normally don't come up.  Maybe corral the good fish 1st before attacking the meanies.

Other Ponders may have better ideas.  They may want to know the size of your pond and how many other fish you keep.

Sorry to hear of the unfortunate acts.  Good Luck!

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »
The other nice fish in my pond do get excited when I swing the net around. The pond is a little more than 20ft long and 10ft wide, with multiple levels all lined with boulders (lots of hiding places). Not really sure how deep, but I do know it's deeper than my legs are long. Got very wet the first time I stepped to the bottom level.

I have 12 assorted Goldfish and 14 smaller Koi, all of which are very fond of schooling. I really don't know where I would coral them.

My next morning off I'll try the feeding idea; they are usually sleepy in the morning.
Dianne,
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
I have Sarassa's in with a Black Moor and they NEVER bother him. They all get along very well.  :hug:

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:36:46 PM »
My advice would be to remove the fancy goldfish from the pond and keep them indoors. They don't swim very well and often are the first fish eaten by predators. Their wiggling at the top of the water attracts predators. They aren't as hardy outdoors as comets, shubunkins, wakins and common goldfish and are often out competed for food or physically harassed. The fat bodied fish also often develop swim bladder problems in deep water. They were not bred to be pond fish, they truly will be much happier and healthier in an aquarium.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:31:16 PM »
LeeAnne is right on.  O0 O0

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
I agree too, they your fantails would be much happier inside.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
I thank you for the assistance, just wish I had known you all before I bought them. :worship:
Dianne,

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"