Author Topic: Two dollar hardies, PetSmart!  (Read 2554 times)

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Two dollar hardies, PetSmart!
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was out today looking at the local big box pet stores and came across this discount. 8-)~

Yep, two dollar hardy water lilies at PetSmart!   @O@  They have sioux, attraction, sulphurea, fabiola, and a few others in my area. They are just the bare tuber starts, but my others this year have done very well.

Warning: Open them up, at the store to check the plant. I have bought them and found dead moldy tubers inside. So, just check them first.  ::)

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Two dollar hardies, PetSmart!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:57:23 AM »
I saw them at Petsmart over the weekend too. Only they were marked down to $3.50 here. >:( ::) Figures, everything is more expensive here. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
I am going to PetSmart today for cat food...I'll check it out! O0

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »
Got two Sioux O0 Thanks a bunch!

Offline koiedge

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
Glad to help.  ;D

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:28:27 PM »
I read this and I had to go see myself.  It's all true.  Petsmart in Phoenix has hardies for $1.75.  I purchased 8.  Thanks for the input.   O0
Alfonso

Offline koiedge

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 07:33:30 PM »
Cool, that is even cheaper than here. They are really $1.87 in Orlando, but still a great deal!!  8-)~

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »
I bought one from PetSmart a year or so ago.  The silk-and-plastic one that came as a decoration on the box was the most growth I saw out of that deal!

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
Did the containers look like the picture below?? We had an ongoing discussion about those earlier this year, lots of info. the two threads were

http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1398.0

and

http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1439.0

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »
Yep...that's the ones. 

I read the discussion and some valid points are made on all counts.  I really wish we had a pond store locally...the nearest one is two hours away.  There is a local nursery that stocks some aquatics, but really, they weren't very healthy looking.  Plus they were $39/lily.  Which might be an investment if I knew what I was doing, but I don't...not yet.  I really love the idea of buying some here, but I would feel like a murderer if I killed somebody's hard work.  After I get a little experience under my belt...some confidence that I know what I am doing...then I can't wait to try my hand at some of the beautiful varities I have seen on the forum.

I have had a huge organic veggie garden and a (slightly weedy) flower garden for years, but this is my first adventure in water gardening.  I only have a few pots of hardies that my aunt gifted me with and I haven't killed them...so that is a good sign lol 

I opened each package at PetSmart and chose the two that had viable leaves and roots in moist medium.   I actually have two others from my aunt (mystery lilies ;)) that are tiny babies too.  It'll be like Christmas morning...waiting next season to see what I have ;D

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »
ok...I just finished reading the experiment thread...wow!!! well done! 

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »
Woah! Those were good threads.  When I first started my pond, I bought 4 expensive plants.  They all died.  I was soooo upset and couldn't figure it out.  I was at the point of giving up.  Thanks to the help of many ponders, I haven't given up on water gardening.  So, I can understand most of the personal views from those threads.  It just seems like a great deal that I couldn't pass up.
Alfonso

Offline koiedge

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 02:31:06 PM »
The pictures of the plastic pot water lilies looks similar, but not the same as the ones at my local PetSmart.

The ones I was speaking of are "Top Fin" brand.

The threads mentioned are great info. And I have to agree about the big box stores pushing all the small special item stores or mom/pop stores out of business. But on the other hand, I am one of the "have nots" at the bottom of the current economical ladder and I have to be on the look out for a good deal, as well.

I started my water lily experience with these plastic container water lilies just by chance. Now, I am only purchasing named true water lilies, am studying parent crosses from some of the past hybridizers, am growing water lilies from seeds, am sharing plants with friends and trades, and am really enjoying this new adventure.

I really feel that it is all about education. Learning all that you can and sharing ideas and thoughts.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
i got the $1.75 Sioux. very much alive with peaking pads but no roots. you can't go wrong at that price.
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 06:16:07 AM »
I purchased 3 of the Walmart Lilies late spring, when they looked like they were about to be pitched out, but not on sale yet.  some were just dried up, but I tried to save some lives and dug through them till I found some with life in them.  Below are pic of each.  The Colorado has had 4 blooms at a time already several times on it. 
Celia

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
This morning I had little pads emerging from both Sioux, abut a half inch up from the tuber and still curled, but pads nonetheless O0 

Offline Desertponder

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:18 AM »
I was in Petsmart again last night and they did have them marked down again to $1.75. They had sold almost all of them. There was three Souixs left and I checked each one but didn't like the looks of them.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
I tried 3 different ways to put them in my pond.  One way, I dropped the bag, the way it came, into the pond.  Second, I used a plastic oil pan, topsoil, gravel, and fertilizer.  Third, regular pot, topsoil, and gravel.  All seem to be doing alright.  2 days and counting. {:-P;;
Alfonso

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 05:06:06 PM »
i'd get the bag out of there pronto. this is the result of a bag i left in a tub last year -

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »
I noticed a huge bloom of algae, today.  Must be the bag.  I'll remove it pronto.  Thanks for the heads up.  O0
Alfonso

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »
i picked up a Sioux as well... only because they were $1.75.  i need to move some of my water lettuce on tho... its everywhere

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"