Author Topic: The itsy, bitsy spider....  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The itsy, bitsy spider....
« on: August 05, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »
I photographed this lady near my pond. 

We have two or three of them living in the hackberry tree.  Her web stretches from the lower limbs of the tree to the ground.  The grey objects sticking out of the web are dragonfly wings. 

She is every bit as big as my hand.  I love the way the light is right, how you can see the gold colored silk of her web.  She is a Golden Silk Orb Weaver. 

Back in the wilder parts of our place, there are places where the webs span the distance between trees, ten, twenty, thirty giant spiders forming a sort of canopy.

I think they are beautiful, though I have gotten pretty freaked out walking into one of their webs at night and imagining that spider on me :o

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The itsy, bitsy spider....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
Nice shots of your spiders.

Spiders are good but not when they build their webs in pathways.  We have these monster orange color spiders with wide spanning webs that appear over night.  It freaks me out too when I walk into them  :o

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »
Oh my lands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I don't mind spiders, but, that many in one place, is just wrong.  I would admire them from a distance, and walking into a web with that many spiders would scare the crap out of me. :o

Karen

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 04:54:53 PM »
Great pictures. Do you know what kind they are? Thanks for sharing! O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
Sorry, I do not like spiders one bit. God could have skipped them for me.

You have my respect for letting them live. I'm glad they don't do that around here. I wouldn't leave my house in the dark EVER.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
Ruthie, that's a really neat picture of the overhead spider web canopy!  O0

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »
This was in the Grand Rapids Press maybe Friday. 

Spider not so itsy bitsy in family's downspout
Posted by Chronicle News Service August 11, 2007 22:09PM
Categories: Grand Rapids
Sharon Barnes is no arachnologist, but she was pretty darned certain the eight-legged beauty she found this week in the downspout of her Plainfield Township home was no run-of-the-mill spider.

A blackwidow spider
The red, hourglass-shaped marking on its shiny black underbelly gave it away.

Black widow spider.

Yup, the most venomous spider in North America was lounging in Barnes' yard, getting ready to snack on a wasp it had snared in its thick web.

"It's a very striking spider," said Michigan State University entomologist Howard Russell.

"In Michigan, we almost never see black widows -- people like Barnes bring a specimen to the MSU Cooperative Extension Office in Grand Rapids once a year or so -- but they're probably more reclusive than they are rare."

"We had to force it out because it had taken its prey and gone down the downspout," Barnes said. "It wasn't going to hang around in view."

So named because the females have been known to capture and eat the males after mating, the black widow spider generally bites humans only when one unknowingly sticks a hand into her web, Russell said.

And when they do attack, "Their mouth parts are very small and, from what I understand, it's very difficult for them to grab a hold of skin," Russell said.

There are documented cases of fatal black widow bites, but Russell knew of none in Michigan. Plus, the venom of the northern variety, such as the one Barnes found, isn't as toxic as that of the black widows found in abundance in the Southwest.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:59:43 AM »
Interesting Esther. We have several here. I see them all the time now around the rocks at ponds edge. I for the most part leave them alone unless one gest on me, then I freak and it useally ends up treadding water. Oh dear if the fish eat them wil it hurt them??? :-\
Ruthie thoes are great shots. We have some huge ones here that are not poisness too. Not as big as my hand TG! some are bright blue and some bright yellow. I don't have there pix any more cuz the old drive fried.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:02:25 AM »
Spiders!

My wife is deathly afraid of spiders, and I hate to have one surprise me like the tarantula that landed on my Helmet while guarding a nuclear weapon site at Fort Sill in 1960. When it began to crawl over the helmet edge toward my face, I dumped the helmet in one fell swoop!

Anyway, as a life long bug aficionado, with arachnids near the top of my list, I can confidently identify your spider as a member of the orb weavers, specifically the golden-silk spider, or calico spider, Nephila clivipes.  The lady of the species can reach 3 1/2 inches in length.

While most "spider loving" sites on the web will attest that these spiders rarely bite and that their bite is less painful than a bee sting, the Merck Medical Manual for Doctors lists orb weaver spiders as DANGEROUS.  Who ya gonna believe?

BTW, the picture with the babies reminds me of Aragon of "The Chamber of Secrets".

Also reminds me of a fellow I once knew that decided to raise black widows to sell their webs for Nordon Bombsights.  All went well until the eggs hatched and the babies all left the screen wire cage by crawling through the mesh!  His wife was FURIOUS!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »
JOhn, your story of the tarantula on your helmet and the baby spiders in the house made my hair stand on end. It's odd, I'm not really much of a girly girl and am not afraid of mice or snakes or much of anything for that matter. Well I don't do solos and public speaking very well. But  :o :o :o I don't do spiders. If they make the mistake of being in my view in the house, they are goners. I have to kill them. Fortunately we don't have ones around here that are very big so even if I see them outside they are free to go about their way.

I remember hearing a blood curdling scream come from my neighbor's house many years ago. I went over to see if something was wrong that I could help with. Turns out that the two sons who were maybe 11 & 12 had taken a quart canning jar and caught many different kinds of spiders in it. They had the cover on the jar and took it in the house to "show" their mother. I'm sure they kind of held the jar behind their back and all of a sudden put it in her face. Needless to say, I'm surprised she didn't kill those kids. I know I wouldn't have appreciated that.  Her oldest son liked to "bug" his mother and would try to get her going. That one worked well. She was terrified they would drop the jar and it would break while they still had it in the house.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:07:27 AM »
We have a lot of really large spiders, especially in years like this one where we had almost no winter.  Some of them can overwinter and keep growing.  We moved a stack of old tarps the other day and a huge wolf spider scurried out.  We thought it was a mouse.  I took pictures (she was huge!) but they came out blurry.

We get black widows fairly regularly in odd places...they like dark, moist, undisturbed spots.  So, like when the kids had a collision with the waterline (I had a geyser erupting from where the faucet used to be) and I had to turn it off at the main, I found an impressive black widow sitting on the valve :o 

Around the pond, the most common spider I see is a flouescent green and orange, with silver trim.  They are smallish.  But the colors are brilliant.  I don't know what they are. 

I have no fear of spiders or snakes or rats or any of the usual phobia producing creatures.  We have some leggy spiders that live in the house and catch mosquitoes.  I only remove them when the corners get too webby....otherwise they are welcome.  But a cockroach? I get totally freaked out.  My husband has to save me from those ;) ;D

Offline louis

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 12:57:13 PM »
EEEEEKKKKKK

lou

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
We also get many black widow spiders under ledges, in the garage, behind objects that haven't been moved for a while....they get to see my shoe and squassshhh.  Luckily they don't do big webs.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
EEEEEKKKKKKlou

I'll second that, I hate spiders, I know they have a purpose, but not in my life, I would totaly freak if I saw all those hanging in the trees.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"