Author Topic: Surprise Visitor-any ideas?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
Surprise Visitor-any ideas?
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
Found this little guy in the pond today. I know the pictures aren't good but he isn't 2" long and moves very fast. I haven't bought a new plant in over a month and never from a stocked pond. Does anyone have an idea?
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Surprise Visitor-any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:29:07 PM »
Looks like a goldie.  It could have been a very young fry in a plant and at 2" this is a possible explanation.  Could also be a minnow or mosquito fish.  But most likely goldie.

You didn't mention if you already have fish in your pond.  You may have had a fry nursery and didn't know it. ;D

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »
That isn't funny. But if I only had one and not a multiple birth it's not so bad. :) I know this is a dumb question, but if it's a Goldie why is it brown? I do have Goldies and baby Koi.
Dianne,
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »
My experience with feeder fish is extensive but for the color I learned here that sometimes they start out one color and gradually turn to another very quickly.  I've seen a few surviving feeder fish I purchased in ugly mottled brown and mixed grays turn out a beautiful tangerine orange.  I also have an original feeder from 6 years ago who was red as a feeder and then it turned orange a few years ago and now it's starting to turn white.  Go figure!  Maybe your little guy will turn a different color down the line....

Dark fish a harder to see in my pond's black liner.

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 06:47:16 AM »
Thanks for the input, but I'm still confused. :D I have Goldies, but they are Sarassa Comets, Fantails, Orundas, and a one really big Shubunkin from my Grandson's aquarium. Here's a picture of him below. He is swimming next to a 6" Koi. I also have his aquarium mate a Black Moor that lost one eye and is even bigger than he is.

Any ideas how old this baby is? I do have some lilies and Dwarf Cattails from the company that built my pond; they were put in the end of May. Does that timeline fit?
Dianne,

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:46:29 PM »
If you do have fish in there it could very well be from one of them.  With the color he/she is would be able to hide well.  Goldies do start out to be an olive drab color, and change with age.  Some stay ugly, but most will change.  Could have been an egg on a plant, but most likely it came from your own fish.  To me, right now it looks like a goldie.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"