Author Topic: No More Monkeys... please! My son has won...  (Read 3436 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
No More Monkeys... please! My son has won...
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »
My son has won, after years of me telling him "You're going to crack your head open jumping on furniture".

Today, he was doing karaoke in the play room, jumped (or slipped) of the chair he was standing on, and spiral-fractured his Tibia. No cracked head, Thank God he proved me wrong! When I think about the toys that he could have cracked his head on, it stands my hairs on end. Thomas table, Tonka trucks, futon... it's amazing he wasn't hurt more than that.

We just got back from the ER, and everyone is finally in bed (sort of). They didn't have crutches small enough for him at the hospital, so I'll be sleeping with him in the family room tonight in case he needs help in the bathroom. No stairs. Poor little thing can't walk and is in terrible pain.

Tomorrow I will need to procure him some crutches... hopefully he won't learn to run and jump with them.  :o

This means crutches for the first couple weeks of Kindergarten.  :thumbdown:

Hopefully the Ortho Dude has good news...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:19:53 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: No More Monkeys... please! My son has won...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
wow, it will be better before you know it.  BOYS!! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:54:19 AM »
AWWW that's too bad. Summer is not a nice time for a cast. He will be the center of attention in school though. That'll be fun.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:33:30 AM »
Don'cha just LOVE 'em?   O0   :D 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:04:29 AM »
Poor little guy.  I agree Esther.  He'll be the center of attention...

Is he in a soft cast of something that kids can scribble on?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »
OUCH!!!   Glad to know it is only a fracture.  Won't be fun for your son as long as he's in a cast.  Keep long narrow objects away from him in case he feels itchy. 

My son fractured his tibia when he was 12 or 13.  The itching drove him insane.  Next thing you know he cut the hard cast off with my garden clipping shears!  Had to laugh but was really annoyed he went to such extremes.  My daughter use to have regular visits to the orthopedics.  She was a regular monkey!  ;D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »
Oh man, what a bummer.  I agree with Esther, he'll get lots of attention with that cast on his leg.  Give him a good Sharpie marker for the kids to sign it.  At least its the end of Summer break, and he wasn't layed up all summer long.  Hope he feels/mends soon.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »
Poor Matthew! What a way to start kindergarten....but as you said, it could have been worse. Hoping for a speedy recovery!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 10:02:43 PM »
oh my!!!! Your poor son and poor you! HOpe neither of you go too crazy!
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 10:57:54 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments, Ya'll made me feel better.  :)

Miguynmkoi, I loved your story. How funny! I noticed Matt was pulling and trying to scratch today... I'll keep those garden shears put away!  ;D He will yank that dang thing off if it kills him.  ;D

Today we watched three movies ( :. Poor kid can't stand it, thinks he'll never walk again. How many times must we watch the Incredibles, Zathura, Jumanji, and the Spongebob movie? But his little friends came over with an adorable banner, cards, balloons, and some "calm" toys (coloring book, puzzle, etc) that he can do on the sofa.

I called a million places today, and can not find crutches that will fit a 40" child.  :(
Anybody know where to get crutches for a 40" child? Couldn't be THAT hard!?

I have a very positive attitude. Kids bones are like rubber... they bounce back quickly,  :) My back will be dead, though, from bringing him back and forth to the bathroom.  :D

Gee, I miss Joyce.  :'(
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »
You know there has to be small crutches.  There are many kids with disabilities you see with them, hmmmm wonder where?  Is there a seven counties or something like that to you, they might be able to send you in the right direction to where to find some.

Kim

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »
My husband told of being hit by a car and breaking his leg, in a gas station when he was 7-8 and his mother caught him using a coat hanger he had unbent and was using it to slide down under the cast to scratch the itches. She about croaked imagining the infection getting going underneath the cast.

Offline sheepie

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about your little guy I had 4 boys and always seemed like one was in some kinda cast

Check your medical supply stores they should have crutches to fit a child or should be able to get them that is where I had to get them from

Bessie
Bessie

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
Oh Dear!  :( I know your right about kids healing well and quickly! It wont take him long to figure out how to get around, kids are not only tough tere smart little wonders. My son was the king of stictches, lots count of how maney he had befor 1st grade. Then he settled down.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »
Oh, his poor little leg...and your poor back!!!   :o  I hope you find some crutches soon for him and his leg heals quickly. 

One of my daughters was a little monkey, but fortunately she didn't break anything.   ;)

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
Well, I ended up calling the Ortho People (he has an appointment tomorrow (Monday)) and they said to forget about crutches until we find out what kind of cast he's getting, and "unless he's a balance expert we should forget about that altogether and just get a little wheelchair", etc. Makes sense! I figured there must be a reason why we couldn't find such small crutches, and that's why. I'm praying for a walking (or waterproof) cast!

My little "bundle of energy" is doing so much better today. He's scooting all around playing with toys. I really feel for parents that have to deal with this kind of thing on a permanent basis. We take a lot for granted and sometimes forget to  think about the parents who have to do so much work for a handicapped child.  o(:-) It's a real eye-opener.

He's still a little frustrated, not being able to walk.  I made him a Lego Pirate ship... spent hours and hours making it, and he had it destroyed in just a few minutes.  ;D Ahh well, he had some fun. Bathroom- time is a pain. And there is a little "Napoleon" complex developing... "MOM! MOM! MOM! I WANT THIS. I WANT THAT!"  Haven't figured that one out yet. I want to fulfill his needs but don't want to dote too much.

Thanks for letting me vent.  o(:-)
Karen

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Yea... new cast today!  O0 Life is a lot easier. Potty, scootching, eating, dressing, playing... all easier.  o(:-)

We're exhausted after today. Took a very long time. After ten years of being "out of the loop", we've rediscovered how long some large medical practices operate (make an appointment for 11:20, finally get in at 12:00, pace the room for another 20 minutes, then finally get to see the Dr... and that's considered "lucky")  {:-P;;

He got a cool orange fiberglass cast!  :P

Karen

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 09:14:57 PM »
Wow, looking at that hair, I really need to give him a haircut!!! A buzz cut would make life a lot easier.  ;D
Karen

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »
That is a cool cast, Karen.  Can he walk with that?  I didn't expect it to be so far up on his thigh.   :-\

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 04:27:58 AM »
Oh Karen, what a doll. keep an eye on him in the wheel chair now cuz next he'll be popping wheelies and spinning brodies! lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 01:26:44 PM »
I started to mention a Wheel Chair, but I would have thought they would have had crutches.  He is a handsome little guy.  Sure hope the recovery time flies for him.

Kim

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
Arrrrgh. This is awful. He started walking on the cast. Had to get a Physical Therapist to get him over the intimidation of (and train him on) the crutches.

Of course, he broke the leg the day after my hubby purchased a cool swing/play/set.

So yesterday my hubby is pushing him on the swing, he let go at the highest point, flipped completely over, and landed on his belly. Nothing like the sight of a little boy in a full leg cast being flipped off a swing.  {:-P;;

Totally unharmed....!  :D

I'll be dead before this is over.
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 02:03:04 PM »
Oh geeez, glad he didn't get hurt during his flight.  Boys, what will we do with them.  But my daughter is rougher then my sons.

Kim

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 04:15:33 PM »
Mercy, I can't imagine seeing him flying through the air with the cast!!!

My three boys never had stitches or broken bones. That is odd too because they did the awfulest stuff off the diving board, with skate boards on the half pipe, and jumping bicycles.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 09:46:39 PM »
Kim & Esther, it's amazing. My pediatrician (a man) said "it's amazing any of us boys ever make it to adulthood"!
Gee, thanks for the reassurance, Doc... !?!

My days are filled with many "heart attack" moments.  ;D But my son is as happy as a clam... going on the "little" bus to school, riding around on his jeep, playing with toys, walking on crutches at 40 mph, sliding down the stairs (:o).... He's my boy... only much more mellow.  8)
Karen

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2007, 04:36:45 AM »
Karen, maybe this is a bit of a blessing in descise? Who know's it may slow him down a bit for even after the cast is off? One can only hope?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 06:04:25 AM »
Poor guy!  He's awfully cute, though.  It's amazing what little daredevils boys are.  And the crazy things they do!  When my oldest son was about 10 he broke his arm hitting a friend over the head with it.  Yes, using his arm to hit.    ::)  One of our pedi's once said that the difference between boys and girls is that girls will learn from their painful mistakes, but boys will repeat them over and over.  LOL

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 01:04:10 PM »
happyoutsidegirl, funny you should mention that. I never thought I'd ever hear myself saying these words:
"Stop running on that cast!"  :o ;D

He has slowed down a little, but he's chomping at the bit. ;)

Barb, that's amazing. I've heard so many stories like that lately, I guess its all in the way the bones impact something.

Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"