Author Topic: Gizmo Hitched a Ride to Olathe...  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Gizmo Hitched a Ride to Olathe...
« on: August 12, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »
(which is about 150 miles from here) underneath my son-in-law's truck.   :o  :o  :o

Gizmo is one of our kittens that Miss Kitty presented to us in May.  She is the blotchy black one, and is colored so funny that she's ugly.  Because I thought she was so unattractive that no one would want her, I had planned to keep her and the cream colored one.   (That was back when I actually thought I could give away kittens   lol.)

My daughter and family were down from Olathe last weekend for a birthday party and left to go home Sunday afternoon.  I noticed that I didn't see Gizmo Sunday night or all day Monday and thought that the coyotes had gotten one of my kittens already.  Tuesday morning, DD called and asked me if I was missing a cat.  She had her hubby's truck in the warehouse by his office and could hear a cat meowing, but couldn't find it. Finally the neighbor came over to help her and pulled Miss Gizmo out of the spare tire well under the truck.  The little darling was so terrified after her 150 mile ride that she stayed in the tire well for two days.   :o

DD fed her and gave her some water and a makeshift litterbox in the bathroom of Tony's office.  Fortunately Tony's secretary fell in love with Gizmo and said she would take her.   @O@  My daughter kept Gizmo for a couple of days.   Apparently, the kitten was so relieved to be rescued after two days without food and water that she was lying on everyone's lap and purring.  When she was here, she wasn't that tame.   :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Gizmo Hitched a Ride to Olathe...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:53:33 PM »
That is one lucky kitty. Gizmo  O0

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »
What a cute story. I'm glad to hear Gizmo has a home. Your orange babies are adorable! Hope you find good homes for them too.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:53:36 PM »
Yes, she is, Esther.  If Amber hadn't heard her meowing, there's no telling where she might have gone when she got desperate enough to get out of the truck.  Also, she's just very lucky that the secretary fell for her and wanted to give her a home.  I would be willing to keep them all, but it costs too much by the time you get all of the shots necessary and get them all fixed.   :-\

Thank you, Maryvonne.   :)  Three of them are colored like the mother, and Gizmo is just colored funny, and then Creampuff (who has his back to the camera) is cream and white and doesn't show the tabby markings at all.  He's a pretty kitty and is my favorite because he had one eye that didn't open when he was a baby, and had an infection in that eye.  I had to handle him quite a bit more than the others, and he is the friendliest.  o(:-)

I know one woman who may be willing to take one or two of the orange/yellow tabbies, so I'll probably keep the rest of them to keep the mice away outside.   :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »
Now that's what you call Fate, or Divine Intervention. It's truly amazing that that little kitty came through all that in one shape! Think of all the nasty things that could have happened... She's a lucky kitty!

I'm glad she found a home, or a home found her.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:50:05 AM »
He might have ended up in my backyard, I am right next door to Olathe... lol

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
Karen, I thought it was amazing, too.  And I certainly DID think of all the things that could have happened. I'm just glad she was to terrified to think of jumping out from under the truck while it was moving.  Amber called Weds. and said the kitten was eating and drinking, but had not gone to the bathroom at all.  I confirmed with the vet that she was probably dehydrated and hungry and it would just take a while before things started moving again.  ::)

Tracey, do you want a pretty little orange tabby????  We could send one up to you by SIL express.   {:-P;;

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:21 AM »
I am so glad Gizmo is safe and found a forever home. I think the little tortoise shell is a beauty.

I am always worried about DH's big van. The cats always climb in it. I'm afraid they will run away when he lifts the door if they get stuck in there. The neighbor's cat likes to explore it too. It is a huge truck, bigger than a normal UPS truck with a workshop inside the back. Lots of hiding places.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »
Cute photo.  I think the white pot is maxed out with kittens.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »
Yep, they're funny about liking to lie in pots.  When I first looked out the door, Gizmo had her paws up on the pot...trying to decide if she would fit too.   lol

Thanks, LeeAnne.  I got kind of attached to her too...just because she was so funky looking, she was cute.  I'm glad she found a home, tho, because we really can't afford $200 per cat to keep all of them.  I'm also glad that Miss Kitty had them, because it's been a long time since we've raised a litter of kittens, and they are a lot of fun to watch.  o(:-)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
I wish I could but I have 4 cats now, my 2 & my DD's 2. Plus almost every other critter in creation lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:35:16 PM »
Oh she looks just like my Allie Cat, who is black and orange also.  Kind of like a halloween cat.  Allie has long hair, and some people think she's ugly, but I don't...she's beautiful and unique.  She has the sweetest disposition too. 

What a great story, and I'm glad that Gizmo has found herself a home.  All kitties deserve someone to love them. o(:-)  I love your orange marmalade kitties, I also have an orange and white too!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »
Awww, what cuties.  If I had to pick from that liter Gizmo would have been the one I would have taken.  I like the odd coloring. 

What a wild ride Gizmo took.  So glad she made it to her destination.  Maybe her name should be changed to Lucky.  Glad she got a home after her adventure, another reason to call her lucky.  I know, Lucky really isn't a girls name...just seems to fit.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"