Author Topic: Topping off the ponds today, or should I call them Hot Tubs  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Topping off the ponds today, or should I call them Hot Tubs
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
Boy was it hot doing it.  I felt like frosty the snowman when he got locked inside the greenhouse and was melting.  I felt like getting in with the fish will it was filling.  Standing there watching it in the shade I was sweating.  Heat advisory out today, air quality alert day.  However, since I finished topping off the ponds, its clouding up outside.  Maybe, just maybe it will rain.  It normally does everytime I top off the ponds.

They have needed to for several days, but the way the UV light was splash above the pond onto the rocks was adding lots of bubble/air to the pond so I let it go.  The Wakin pond, could have waited longer.  My plants on my shallow shelf were running out of water, the only water they were getting was from my gnome fountain.

Right now it says 104 outside, but the heat index is very high.  So humid and sticky.  Yuck!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Topping off the ponds today, or should I call them Hot Tubs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
I don't envy you your weather.  Hopefully all your beautiful lilies and lotus handle the heat well.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »
All my Lotus's look good except for one.  The one in the pond, is burning bad.  Its dropped about 14 degrees in the past couple hours....all I can say is bring on the rain.

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 02:53:54 PM »
Yes this heat has been terrible! 

The ponds are definately needing topped up alot more than usual huh.   I've been doing more than my usual 10% water changes to help cool them alittle because they are very warm and somewhat green at that because I need new UV bulbs.

We're having a storm right now Kim but so far not much rain with it. :(
Is your weekend weather supposed to be alot cooler?  They're saying low 80's for Saturday here. Well that was what the forecast was yesterday.....

Stay COOL!

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »
After I finished cleaning today I decided to top the pond off, too. The weatherman said we wouldn't get any rain today.  Well......we are getting buckets and buckets of rain from TS Erin.  The pond is overflowing now {:-P;;

Stay cool.  This is some dangerous heat.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 04:07:21 PM »
Do you all add dechlor, etc. when you top off?  Or just run a hose into the pond and fill 'er up?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »
It's still hot down here as well. We are getting afternoon thunderstorms almost every day. Besides the AC not working properly, we are handling this well. I bought a fan to help cool us off until the rain gets here and cools the house off. We've been trying to get ahold of the landlord to get him to fix it. No luck yet.

The ponds are in the shade right now.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »
Yes Julles, I always add declor when topping off.  I was adding about 6 inches of water to a 14x9 pond, that's quite abit of water.  I would be afraid not to.  The Wakin Pond, definately as much as those baby's cost....bet your boots I would use it everytime.  Its fresh water, with chlorine so why not ad it.

Bonnie, just like you.....lots of thunder very little rain.  But it feels so much cooler, I went out tonight and watered all the flowers.

Eeeew Scott, I feel for ya.  We have problems quite often with our AC, knock on wood so far so good this year.

Ruthie, your right very dangerous out.  Can you send some rain this way, we sure could use it.  Its still drought conditions here.

Kim

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 06:10:41 PM »
Julles....I add dechlor, too.  I also read somewhere that adding the water in a fine mist helps evaporate the Cl out of the tap water, too.  I set up the sprinkler on mist and water all the landscaping while I am filling the pond.  In this heat, I also sat in the mist in one of the lawn chairs for a bit, too  ;D 

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:48:40 AM »
Wow, what a difference in temps from this time yesterday.  Yesterday at this time it was reading around 103  today 85, that's a big difference.  Its nice and beautiful today.

Kim

I just heard on the news that it was a record high yesterday here 105.  Hottest its been in many, many years.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:05:42 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
Kim, Please, please now do not be selfish with that cooler air.  85 sounds wonderful.
Here in Memphis was 104 today, I don't care what weatherman said, and that was in
shade.  Also this is about a week of unhealthy air warnings.  Having hard time keeping
pond water and right level and lotus pots filled.  And, things look really bad.  This is
worst year I've had in water gardening.  we'd had 8 heat related deaths here.  Send
that cool air on down now!!!   LOL      Marie

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 07:16:02 PM »
It was a nice day here today, it got in the high 80's which isn't my idea of a perfect day but much better than 100-101 like yesterday.
Tomorrow is supposed to be low 80's! O0

DH and I just came in from sitting outside.. I had shorts on and came in a grabbed a blanket!  A Nice night out!
Came in and got in my jammies and opened up the bedroom window for some fresh air!  :D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing the heat Kim.   I was away for 5 days and came back home to 100+ degrees, 2" less water in my ponds, overcooked lily pads (a mass of bubbling jell slime), and a couple of minnow jerky.  TTTOOOO HAAUUTTT!!!!

We need a shock of cold air!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"