Author Topic: Need good thoughts (update: our dog was killed by a speeding car)  (Read 4976 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Our dog Whylie was hit by a car this morning. Pete's and a nieghbour have rushed her to the vets. but it doesn't look good. This is the nicest dog we have ever had. She's very attached to our son and I can't imagine life without her. I am hoping to hear from Pete. I can't see through the tears and will let your know how she is later.

Thanks Maryvonne
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:06:32 PM by maryvonne »
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need good thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:23:35 AM »
Oh, so sorry to hear this.  They are our 4 legged baby's. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
Thanks Kim,
She is gone now. Both legs were broken, pelvis fractured and spine was severed. She also had internal bleeding and Pete had her put down. It was the only thing to do.
She should not have been out of the yard but probably went to see our nieghbout how was putting his garbage out. The driver of the car was racing by at very high speed and didn't stop. There is major road work going on in our area. This involves a major highway which will take traffic off the new bridge beeing built just north of us. People are using our small quiet road as a short cut and fiqure they can drive as fast as they want. We have complained about this but nothing is being done.
This time is was our dog but we all fear it will be a person next time. These drivers don't even slow down when we are on the road and there are no sidewalks. We have threatened to shut our road down as a protest in a couple of days before some one else gets hurt or killed.
Hope you are all having a better day than we are.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
I'm so sorry. We are animal lovers so I know your pain.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »
That's horrible news and a heavy weight on your family.  I'm glad you were able to get Whylie quickly to a vet so she didn't have to suffer more than she did.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Re: Need good thoughts (update: our dog was killed by a speeding car)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »
Thanks Cathy and Mikey,

I quess it's starting to sink in that she is really gone. Our son is mentally challenged and doesn't understand that she will not be back. He's out in the yard with a dog treat looking for her. They were always together. She was such a sweet heart. We got her last summer from our son in Calgary. A friend had found here half starved by the side of a road. He couldn't keep her and gave her to our son, who loved her very much but couldn't keep her either because he's a university student sharing a house with other students so we flew her down last August and fell in love with right away. She was only about 2 years old and just did whatever you asked her to do without any formal training at all. She loved the cats and would play with Jack. We will really nice her a lot.
Thanks for your kind words. It really helps knowing others have been through it too and how much it hurts.

maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
So sorry about the pup, I hope your son is ok.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
I'm so sorry Maryvonne,,,hugs to you and your family as you grieve over your Whylie.  What a sweet face in the pic she has.. o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
So sorry.  She was very lucky to have your family rescue her. 
 :hug:
Karen

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »
I"m so sorry for your loss.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 03:38:31 PM »
I am so sorry about your sweet dog. I lost mine last Dec. But you have gave her a good home and she was loved, and she knew it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
So sorry to hear of the death of your friend. Does your son understand at all what has occurred? Is there a chance you'll be able to get another dog? I know that right now may not be a good time, but I was wondering.

Offline Holldoll

• Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
I'm so sorry! My dogs are my babies, so I really empathize with you!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 06:36:13 PM »
 :'( :cry: :'(  My heart goes out to you, and your family.  Espically your son  :hug: .

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
Oh Maryvonne.. this is terrible news!

I am so very sorry.... Your poor son too, I hope and pray that this will not be too hard on him.

Hugs,
Bonnie

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »
I am so sorry.  I empathize greatly...my pets are family.  I am so sorry for your loss. :'(

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 08:11:23 PM »
(((Huggs))) to you and your family during this really rough time....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 08:59:25 PM »
I'm so sorry, Maryvonne.  :'(  Whylie was a beautiful dog, and I know how much you'll miss her.

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
Thanks for your kindness. It's been a very hard day. We are thankful to the person who found her and nursed her back to health so we could have her in our lives even if it was for such a short time. It's been hard telling all her friends that she's gone. She was so loved by all our friends and family as well as the other dogs and their owners at the dog park we went to almost every day. She was truly one of those special dogs that touched a lot of hearts and we will never find another one like her.
Our son has been ok today. We have explained that she is with Shauna, our dog that passed away a couple years ago. He still seems to remember that and we have put her bed and toys away for now. We will eventually get another dog but need some time to heal first. Pete and I both love dogs and our son needs a pet to care for. Taking her to the dog park was a big part of his day.
In the meantime we will step up our efforts to get the traffic slowed down on our street before another pet or worst yet a nieghbour gets hurt or killed. It's scary just crossing the street to get the mail. I feel so awful that we didn't know whylie had gotten out under the gate and wish I had called her back in sooner.   
Our older son who had her first is coming home on Friday for a visit. It's going to be hard for him too since he loved her very much as well and was looking forward to seeing her again.
I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

maryvonne
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:52:47 PM by maryvonne »
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this. I feel really bad for your son, I know how attached he becomes with your four legged family members.

Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 05:39:21 AM »
So sorry for your loss Maryvonne... That must be devastating to your son.  I pray that you all are blessed with comfort and healing.  And I sure hope that something is done about the traffic situation to prevent any other accidents.  And I also hope that the idiot who irresponsibly did this and kept going gets bit in the butt by karma! 
Joey

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 06:19:44 AM »
So sorry about your pup!!!
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 07:00:54 AM »
Maryvonne,

First let me say that I fully understand your pain in the loss of your pet.  Having had over twenty canine friends in my 68 years that have gone to their rewards I know the sorrow you feel.  Most of my old friends passed away in my arms at the vets when they were suffering. Tears are inevitable.

Here is my best advice:  1.  Get a new dog ASAP. You will never have another Whylie , but you will have other dogs that will worm their way into your heart.   2. Install a fence.  3.  Never let your dog outside the yard without a leash.

See my current dogs at http://www.gardenendeavors.com/

Can you see why I recommed Beagles?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 07:36:51 AM »
I'm so sorry to read about your loss.  Johns is right, you need to heal by getting another dog, especially for your son.  You'll never forget your Whylie but you need another to take away the pain.

It takes time to recover but it only proves how lucky Whylie was to have you and your family.  TELL the city about the reason you lost a family member, ASAP!

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
Thank you so much. We are fortunate to have our family and wonderful friends for support. Yesterday the pain of losing our pup was devastating. We aren't angry with the driver of the car that hit her. She shouldn't have been out on the road. We live on acreage. The whole front of our yard is fenced with a cedar hedge in front of the fence. There is a gate across the driveway that is always closed to keep our dogs and son off the road and Whylie wasn't usually outside on her own. But for some reason yesterday she was outside and she managed to get under a small gap under the gate. We will never know why. At the time Pete was in the bathroom showering our son. Some one called to talk to him so I passed the phone over and took over caring for our son. As Pete walked back to the kitchen he heard a car coming down the road at very high speed and heard a thump and some strange sounds. Our neighbour was putting his garbage out and Pete thought he had been hit, dropped the phone and ran out to find the neighbour kneeling over our dog on the boulevard.
If anything we are mad at ourselves for not realizing Whylie was out and that she could get under the gate. We are also upset at the drivers who travel through here on a narrow country road at very high speed on their way to work in a nearby industrial park. We are disappointed that the driver didn't stop when he or she realized they had hit something.
Today we will put in yet another complaint with the city and the police. Pete is out putting up signs in the hopes of slowing the traffic down.
We will start looking for another dog. This will take some time. We need to find the right dog with a good personality for our son. He has autism and came be quite unpredictable. Some dogs can't handle that. I am also going to check into a service dog that has the ability to detect seizures. He also has epilepsy so that would be a good thing.
In the meantime life goes on. The hole in our hearts will heal with time and Whylie will always be remembered as our sweet heart.
The phone call was a good friends son-in-law calling to let Pete know that he had passed away from a sudden heart attack the night before. Just one of those mornings!

Thanks again and I hope we all have a good day.

Maryvonne

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 09:30:32 AM »
Oh wow, what if you could get one of the PAWS dogs that detects seizures? That would be so cool. They are pretrained and screened to be used to being around  people with problems. We have a friend who has a 60% hearing loss and she qualified for a PAWS dog to assist her with her hearing problems.

Oh no, more bad news. Grandma used to say that bad things come in threes. I wish she wouldn't have said that because I keep waiting for #3.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 10:48:44 AM »
Oh no, I'm so sorry!! It is very difficult to lose our furbabies. Hugs to you and your little boy.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
Oh No, Maryvonne, I'm so very sorry.  :'( Hugs  o(:-)

That driver had to know he hit your dog. Terrible not to stop.  {nono}
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
I have no words Maryvonne. Hate to hear this. Time heals all wounds, byt boy, does that time take forever to pass.

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 08:05:07 PM »
Maryvonne,  I'm so sorry to hear that Whylie is gone.  It's hard enough to let our dogs go when they come to a natural end; to have a beloved pet mowed down by a thoughtless and uncaring driver is despicable.  Your family sure has a lot to deal with right now, I'm glad you have family and friends around to help you through.  emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"