Author Topic: Need good thoughts (update: our dog was killed by a speeding car)  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Need good thoughts (update: our dog was killed by a speeding car)
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 09:40:47 PM »
he was sure a beauty.  Mike W. expressed it well.  Good thoughts are with you. o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 06:01:06 AM »
Our son bought an invisible fence system (with two collars) on the internet for less than $200.  He installed it in the late fall and just used landscape staples and layed it on top of the ground.  He has two dogs that are young and it was very simple to train them.  When the grass started growing in the spring, the sod covered up the wire and now he can mow right over it.  His yard is a little over an acre and he installed it so that his dogs can't get into any of landscaping which is great too!

Karen

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
I'm so, so sorry  :'(  :'(
How is your son doing today?  And you - how are you and your hubby?
Tammie

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 10:30:03 AM »
Oh no, I am so, so sorry.  We lost a cat to a car once, it is so upsetting.  I absolutely hate speeders. A few weeks ago one of our dogs ran away during a thunderstorm, and I didn't find him until the next day, someone reported to the dog warden that a border collie was laying in a drain.  He was fine, though.   I am so sorry you were not as lucky, it brings tears to my eyes to think of your pain.  (((hugs)))

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 07:45:59 PM »
Maryvonne:

I'm sorry to hear about Whylie.   I've had many dogs in my lifetime and its always hard to say goodbye.  I think the advice of finding another dog is good and so you and your family will develop new fond memories.

I hope the moruning time passes quickly and the good memories stay with you and your son.

Gary

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
Oh Maryvonne.. I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of Whylie. He was such a special dog from what you spoke of him and it makes me so sad to hear of the senseless speeding which kills our family pets and others. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 08:46:20 AM »
Thanks again for your kindness and good thoughts. For the most part we are doing ok, keeping busy. Our son seems to be doing fairly well. He has stopped looking for her and seems to understand that she is gone. It was harder when Shauna passed because he didn't understand at all. He wants a new dog so we are looking through the papers and have put the word out with family and friends. We are checking shelters out too. Hopefully some thing will come up soon.
Pete and I are still pretty sad and we would probably wait a bit. It's still too soon for us but we are animal lovers and will fall in love with the new baby when we get one. Meanwhile the cats are getting some extra love and attention.

Maryvonne

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:03:41 AM by maryvonne »
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 08:49:32 AM »
Oh No, Maryvonne, I'm so very sorry.  :'( Hugs  o(:-)

That driver had to know he hit your dog. Terrible not to stop.  {nono}

I would think that they know they hit something but since these speeders don't stop when they hit people it's unlikely they would for a dog. Pretty sad. It would have made us feel better if they had stopped.

I appreciate the hugs.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 08:51:57 AM »
I have no words Maryvonne. Hate to hear this. Time heals all wounds, byt boy, does that time take forever to pass.

Mike

I don't know about you but it's seems harder every time. I's still grieving Shauna and the other dogs and cats we've had.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
Maryvonne, I agree with the others who said you should get a new dog or puppy right away.  When my Baby (Old English Sheepdog) died, I thought I didn't want another dog for a while.  However, my daughter knew better and brought me a Great Pyrenees puppy about a week later.  I cried when I saw and hugged that beautiful little furball...she was just exactly what I needed right then.   o(:-)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

A number of years ago I hit a dog when it darted out on the highway.  I am amazed that someone would just drive away.  You can't ignore that impact like it wasn't there. I felt ill and immediately drove to the house that I thought it belonged to (Rural area so it is not always obvious).  I told the owners what happened and that I was sorry I couldn't get the car around it fast enough.  It only takes a few words and a minute to be decent.  I was out of sorts for days.

I suggest that you place an ad in the local paper about what happened.  People do that all the time here to draw attention to those who don't have the decency to do the right thing.  One year someone ran over a kitten on the street right in front of the child and he just kept right on going.  Pathetic.

Bart

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »
Thanks Sandye and Bart. For the most part people are like you Bart and do stop and do the right thing. There are however a few who don't for whatever reason, but I am not going to let that get me down. They know better and have to live with their decision. We wouldn't have been angry that he hit our dog. Dogs do dart out onto the street and it was our responsibility to make sure she didn't get out. It's just the fact that this person was traveling much too fast, didn't try to brake and then sped off even faster that upsets us.
The City has called us back and will send there traffic department out to study the problem and hopefully do something to slow those few individuals down a bit and minimize the possibility this will happen again.
We are looking for a new pup. I checked out some shelters today but no luck so far. We have worked on the gate and bought an electric fence and collar so this shouldn't happen again.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 03:57:28 PM »
While I was reading some of the responses I realized that you could also put up a large sign on the roadside to catch the attention of drivers on your road.  It could say "Dog KILLED by Speeding Driver, SLOW DOWN" or something simple but brunt.  I have seen similar signs around here like that or signs looking for witnesses to an accident.  A sign might just jolt a few drivers into slowing down.

I hope you and your family feel better soon and find another pet to love.  Lucky pet to have such wonderful owners.  :)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
I'm sorry too maryvonne for your loss. I hope things are on the mend. I know this one real well. I hope your out looking for a new replacement to help fill the void. My kids have been telling me to get a new puppy now as my Karlie Sue is getting old. I know my world would surley crumbel if I lost her now.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"