Author Topic: my latest obsession--cat towers  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
my latest obsession--cat towers
« on: August 22, 2007, 07:48:53 AM »
We took in a mommy cat & her 3 kittens several months ago.  Found a home for 2 of the kittens but are keeping the mommy & remaining kitten.  They've been kept seperated from our other cats until they are fixed & ready to be part of the pack.  Anyways, I wanted some cat towers/condos for their room.  Found a couple on Craigslist .... the big originally expensive ones sell FAST.  So I decided to make one myself with hubby's assistance with the actual assembly.  A 6.5' tall one (the one on the left--I used the one on the right as a "pattern" & a small one from the leftover pieces.

If you've made any kitty furniture, I'd love to see pics of it.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:01:20 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: my latest obsession--cat towers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »
Kat, I'm so glad you posted the pictures. I never thought of looking on the computer to get ideas or directions. I have a wooden barrel that Mittens lays on to look out the window at the pond. I already bought the sisal rope, thinking that some day I'd add to the barrel just to give her some place to climb. She has her claws but doesn't ever try to sharpen them on the furniture.

What did you use for those curved places? Can you describe how you made your towers? I was thinking of using PVC (what else) and wrapping them with the sisal.

Sure can tell your kitties like their towers.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »
Oh, you did a GREAT job on those.  Maybe you can market your own line, hmmm.

I still need to find one that will work for me.  I never thought about creating one myself. 

I almost bought one this past summer at Feeders Supply.  It looked like a tropical tree.  It was almost 7 feet tall, I didn't have any where for something that big, they didn't have one on a smaller scale.  It looked like it had a trunk, with thick branches.  Then the part they layed on, was green.  The detail on this thing was amazing.  It was 300.00, and I would have been willing to pay that price, if it wasn't as big as it was.   It it would have only been around 5 feet, it would be in the corner of my living room in front of my corner window.  Thier favorite place.  It would have matched color wise perfect in here.

Kim

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:36:58 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:43:44 AM »
Hey, it looks great! Good job!! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »
Thanks .... I didn't take pictures during assembly but it is easy to make as long as you have the time to mess with it.  Like anything else, I think I would go faster once you know how to make the pieces.

Cost for the big one was about $75 but I used free used carpet. I don't know how much new carpet would have added to it.

The perches are 13" concrete forms that have been cut into 16" & 22" lengths. You'll need a hot glue gun or staple gun, sharp scissors, measuring tools, saw or box knife to cut the concrete tubes, etc. The base is a 24"x24" plywood precut from Lowe's. Not that expensive to make but it did take a lot of time to make--can be made in a weekend--maybe less time if you use less glue or more done by a staple gun. The perches are 2 pieces of tubing glued together before adding the carpet. The posts & perches are screwed on/together. The sisal rope I also purchased at Lowe's. You'll need someone to help once you start to assemble all of the parts.

Perches---12-13" concrete tubing cut along the lenght into 3 sections.  Maximum use--cut the perches 16" long, glue 2 pieces together.  You'll have one extra piece this way, glue a piece of cardboard onto it to strenghten.  If you want longer perches, measure/cut to the size you want.  Keep in mind the longer the perch the more flexing it will do unless you have more support added.  I glued the carpet to the inside curve, wrapped around to the bottom/glued, matched the center, & cut the carpet along the edge bottom only.  Wrap the upper edge of the carpet around the end, glue.

Posts are screwed in from the bottom.  I used buckets & such for support until it could be set upright.  One thing I do recommend, use a small block under the perch at the bottom of the "u" to support, & then screw in.  The curved upper edges are easy to screw in. 
Kat

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:10:43 PM »
Great carpentry work!  Have you seen the ones that are made to look like a big leaf palm tree with carpeting in the brown trunk and green leaf?

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
Wow, yours turned out great!!  My husband made one, but it's not nearly as elaborate as yours!  Pat yourselves on the back!! 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:51:16 PM »
Great cat poles. Cute kitties! Jack could use one of those. He still tries to sharpen his nails on the mat at the door.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
I can't believe they have their own room.  Great job it looks like something you bought in a store only better.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »
Great job, lucky cats O0

Karen

Offline Lorraine

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00:32 AM »
Kat, you did a great job, beautiful kitties. I want one of those for my kitties. Esther asked what the curves were made of , were they PVC tubes by any chance? I think I would like to try that and cut them in half and carpet it. You should think about selling them locally, with the price of them on the internet and shipping costs, you could make a little cash, you would have to figure in your time of course. I love the style. Simple but you can tell the kitties love them. :)
Lorraine

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 05:32:26 AM »
LOL @ Lorraine,
Those tubes are a thick cardboard stuff if I remember correctly. They sell them at the big box home repair stores like Home Depot. They are used for forms for cement.

I was going to use the PVC for the posts and wrap them with rope. But maybe wood would be better to use.

This is the barrel I was going to redo. As you can see Mittens was not happy to have to sit there for the picture.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:48:06 AM by Esther »

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »
Yes, I've seen the fancy & EXPENSIVE cat trees that look like real trees ... they are very cool.  Missed out on a free one posted on Craigslist.  It had been left sit out in the rain overnight & needed some fixing up.

The concrete tubing is easy to work with.  Now if only I can find the 16" ones in stock somewhere locally.

Ester--that barrel is cute.  You are very handy, so I'm sure if you decide to work on it somemore it will be even better.  Cute kitty.

I've thought about selling locally but not sure if I could make enough profit for the effort.  People around here are VERY cheap when it comes to "homemade/used" stuff.
Kat

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »
Check with carpet stores. Here in town there are many that just toss tubes out so will give them to you free for the asking. Maybe you can find one locally that would give them to you.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 05:01:29 AM »
Wow, how creative!!  My cats are green with envy.   8)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"