Author Topic: I think I have to many plants (pics)  (Read 1946 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I think I have to many plants (pics)
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »
Not, lilies mine you .... but I feel like I am still new to ponding and I have tried a number of different plants.. and now that they have grown and are thriving I think some of these will need to be moved and may be omitted ... lol .. not sure I can do that .. what do you think??

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline small fish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I think I have to many plants (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »
and this one has a small waterfall under it

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »
Very lush and tropical looking.  I like it O0
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 04:05:50 AM »
Wow, looks like everything is VERY happy.  What tropical is that blooming, Rhonda Kay, Black Prince, whatever it is, sure is showing off very beautiful.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 04:22:10 AM »
Well, it's certainly very pretty!  You could always just cut some back.  (not the lilies)  My pond is small and the same thing has happened to me this summer, I keep tossing out water hyacinths by the bucket load, they are just annuals here.  Note to self, next year do not buy so many water hyacinths.   :D

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:21:16 AM »
Thanks, ya'll ... some things on the dam between the 2 ponds I am not happy with .. the ruby runner was planted on one side and there is much more of it on the other side that were I planted it to began with ...  and the 4 leaf clover is more plentful in the upper pond than I like too ..

Kim, that is Ronda Kay blooming there... it has had 6 to 7 blooms every day since I got it from Kat .... easely the best bloomer I had this year... 

Myra

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 05:23:09 AM »
I LOVE it!  I think it looks very natural with all the abundance of plants!  Four leaf clover is the hardest plant to contain and control I have found.  I love it though, and just always keep mine in a tub rather than in the pond.  Again, I think your pond looks perfect!
Joey

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:20:12 AM »
Very lush looking indeed....the first thing a new ponder discovers is that most water plants spread like weeds  ;).....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09:32 AM »
Your pond is beautiful!  I'm jealous of your multiple blooms! 

In my pond I just trim and thin everything, besides the lilies, to keep the look I like.  I give away my "thinned" plants  ;)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 09:06:07 AM »
Flloating water clover barely grows for me.  >:( Thinning plants is normal for ponds, they almost all grow more than we'd want. Personally, I think your pond looks great. I prefer a lush planted pond.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 09:38:19 AM »
Your ponds look happy & healthy just the way they are  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:45:51 AM »
I also got my Rhonda Kay from KAT, wonderful lily.  Mine has been a big bloomer also.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
wow, wish my stuff would grow that good.  By the time the ice melts though and it gets going then the fall comes and so it just doesn't get the growth like that.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
It looks fantastic!  I have overgrowth of a lot of things (taro becomes really invasive...I won't even put it on the compost pile, 'cause it'll take over the compost! :o) I still like it though, so I keep it in a pot inside the whiskey barrel fountain. We'' see if it figures out how to send runners out of THAT lol

Anyway...it looks beautiful.  Your lilies are amazing!  How long have you had your pond? 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 04:41:24 AM »
Myra, I think it's absalutly beautiful! and I'll bet your fish are happy as clams at high tide. I'll be willing to take any divisions from ya next spring. It may be too late this year for me to start young plants? Plants have been slow to be added to my pond and it's getting better but I still need more.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline PondFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 06:55:47 AM »
Myra, your pond (ponds?) look lush and natural and beautiful.  I would guess it's just a matter of how many plants a person likes.  The only down side might be that you can't see your fishies -- do you have fish? I didn't notice any in the pics.  My water hyacinths started out great in the beginning of the year, even bloomed, then sometime in the beginning of August they turned brown and began to rot.  They seem to get enough sun and other plants, water lilies and marginal plant (pickeral rush), are doing fine. Any idea what gives?  Again, your pond looks gorgeous.   Dianna, aka Pondfish.

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »
Thanks again...  I can say part of the reason my pond has so many plants is Lawanna and Kat.... I can't remember how many plants I have bought from them and others on this list ... We do have a local pond store but I think the best plants came from the people on this list.. 

Four leaf clover is the hardest plant to contain 

Joey, I wish I had know that about the clover and the Bee Balm in my the yard.. the clover is all in the rocks at the edge of the pond.. I would have to take the rocks out to get all of the clover out

Yes, the water plants spread like weeds and in the past I have given away extra plants but I really don't know people in my area that have ponds... I did sell a few gf at the farmers market where I have a booth and sell scented soap and lotions.... I talked with a few people who had ponds or had plans of getting a pond in their yard.. and I offer to give them plants ... I would be glad to trade/give extras to others

This is just my 2 full year with this pond so I am just beginning to figure some of this out.. I hate to pull anything out.. in the winter the pond looks so sad ...  :'(   I can't imgine what it is like to be into ponding in the North .. I guess if I lived there I would adjust  ::)

I do have a number of gf but would like to add some different fish next year but not Koi as I think they get to large for my pond

Myra    o(:-)   happy ponding

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
All of your plant's look so happy ! It remind's me of  a natural pond with all the beautiful plant's around it.
It look's Great  O0 .
bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"