Author Topic: Wintering Agapanthus  (Read 1757 times)

Offline patsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wintering Agapanthus
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:08:34 PM »
Help please.
I live in zone 4/5 and have always wintered my agapanthus in my sun-room like a house plant. We have a frost proof root cellar, so I am planning on putting my tender potted bulbs - along with a potted lotus - in it for the winter. Has anyone ever cut back an agapanthus and successfully over wintered it in such a manner? 

Thanks Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Wintering Agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:43:29 PM »
Yup. (8:-)
I overwintered mine in its patio container simply by putting it in my unheated garage for the winter. 8)

Your cold cellar should be just right. O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 06:30:17 PM »
Thanks Joyce. I guess I will try it and hope for the best. I know that agapanthus winter above ground in southern Ca. I was wondering if the darkness in the cellar might be harmful. Other wise, are these plants like citrus and need to have light all winter. Or, can they stand the darkness for several months with out harm? Do they go dormant, or semi dormant?

Hey, you hang in there girl. I'm fairly new around here but hoping for the very best out come for you. My oldest daughter is also currently fighting a battle against breast cancer. It's really scary.

Thanks and hugs - Patsy.
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:34:29 PM »
Patsy . . . . in Florida where they winter in the ground, they go dormant and lose their leaves in winter.  That tells me that they don't mind wintering in the dark.  Best of luck to you!

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »
Thanks teresa, Okay, it's into the root cellar for them!

Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 03:57:36 PM »
Ummm, my Agapanthus never go dormant or lose their leaves in winter here in Florida. You must have us confused with someone else.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:33:30 PM »
Ummm, my Agapanthus never go dormant or lose their leaves in winter here in Florida. You must have us confused with someone else.

I guess I must have it confused, after all I'm not that smart, but the agapanthus that grow in some parts of my yard in Florida have lost their leaves and disappeared during the coldest part of winter.  They come back nicely in the spring tho.  Agapanthus is a bulb, just like amaryllis, callas, and several others that are not hardy everywhere.  They can be stored in a dormant state in the winter and replanted in the spring for summer growth.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 05:31:13 PM by Teresa »

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »
Thanks gals for all of your input. I've decided what I will do is cut back the old larger agapanthus and put it in the cellar. But will keep my newer Peter Pan in the house for this year. That way if I loose one I'll still have the other. ;) If I can remember next spring, I'll post on how things went.

Thanks again,

Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
Agapanthus are actually not bulbs, they are rhizomatous plants. If its any consolation, our amaryllis never lose all their foliage either. Maybe we just live a charmed life. There are different types of agapanthus. Some are 100% deciduous even in warm climates (most of these are from a group called the Headbourne Hybrids), some are semi-deciduous and some are evergreen. It depends on the species you have planted, and the different cultivars within the species.
I have exclusively planted "Elaine", which is a 100% evergreen agapanthus, on my property because I like its deep deep dark color better than any other agapanthus. The lighter varieties appear washed out to me and I don't like white flowers. Another nice evergreen selection is "Ellamae".
You must have a deciduous or semi deciduous variety planted at your place.
Doesn't mean you are confused or "not that smart", just means maybe you didn't research before you planted or maybe got a generic type.
Some agapanthus are hardy and evergreen to 20F and slightly below. Many survive well to zone SEVEN. Mine are evergreen, because I made certain I was getting an evergreen variety as I did not want any bare spots in winter where they grow. Yours apparently are not an evergreen variety.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 04:26:47 AM by LilithFair »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"