Author Topic: How dangerous is Oleander?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
How dangerous is Oleander?
« on: September 14, 2006, 11:25:52 PM »
I'm looking for a couple of plants that I can put behind the fence next to the pond to screen an air conditioner, water heater and the pond plumbing.  I was going to use red oleander as it is easy to shape and gets big quick.  It's also one of the only bushy plants that can take the full sun out here.  Now I'm getting nervous because I've always been told (starting as a kid by my mother) that it is poisonous.  Although there is a fence between the location and the pond, dead leaves or flower petals could be blown under or around the fence.  We do get a lot of wind in the spring.  What do you think?  Will the fish be ok if a few leaves or blooms get blown in the pond?  It's about 2000 gallons. 

If I cancel the oleander, the only other plant I can come up with that can take the heat, will get big enough quickly, can be pruned to allow an entry and has blooms is hibiscus.  I have several of those around the pond already, I just wanted to use something else.   I basically need a trimmable hedge that blooms and doesn't mind full sun and the occasional 120*  :P  the good news is it never freezes.

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How dangerous is Oleander?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 04:28:59 AM »
Having grown up with Nerium oleander plants in my yard practically from birth, I can say, its no more dangerous than other poisonous plants. You have to ingest it to have it hurt you, meaning chew leaves, gnaw sticks, etc. Unless you are planning to roast hot dogs on oleander sticks you should be fine. I also wouldn't burn the wood and breathe the smoke. There are several toxic plants that are used in everyday landscaping that are quite poisonous if ingested, like datura, brugmansia, morning glory, pinecone (shampoo) ginger...as long as you don't eat it it won't affect you.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 05:14:29 AM »
In previous homes I used oleander in 'problem' spots too. Worked great. I had heard it was poisonous, and I have a herd of pets, so worried for awhile, but they showed no interest.

Reading the first answer, Yikes! I now have morning glories, brugmansia, and starts of pinecone ginger everywhere. Thought I was going tropical, turns out I am making a toxic dump - albeit a very pretty one. I stay on top of picking up the brugmansia droppings, but here too, the animals show no interest.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 08:30:01 AM »
I have 2 large plants of it that I have had for 2 years now....every spring I pull them out of the gh and place them on both sides of the shubby pool....the leaves and flowers both drop into the water....the fish seem to leave them alone.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 09:26:47 AM »
Unless you are planning to roast hot dogs on oleander sticks you should be fine.

lol  ;D That was funny.

I have Castor Bean plant that is very toxic, and have to agree that animals leave it alone. It's amazing how many plants are toxic.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:49:57 AM »
Does anyone know how to propagate them...I would love some starts off of mine...do they grow from cuttings? or seed?
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 09:56:22 AM »
LOL I have about 25 castor bean plants of various types as well. As long as you aren't making ricin its okay.
Oleander will root from stem cuttings with a little growth hormone. I have rooted several variegated ones that way. You can also air layer it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 10:07:40 AM »
Jonna, I definately would not worry about Oleanders and your fishies.

I have an Azalea hanging over the edge of my pond that the fish could easily nibble but they never have.

Many many common plants are toxic in some ways but most don't need to be actively worried about.

One that is often a problem though is potted Easter Lilies and cats. Indoor cats think they are grass and they nibble on them and get sick. Don't have potted true Lilies in the house if you have indoor cats or cats that like to chew on houseplants. My yard is full of them and my cats never bother them because they have access to lush lawn grass but indoor cats are commonly poisoned by them.

BTW, one of the most commonly thought of toxic plants, isn't. Poinsettia. NOT toxic. Tastes awful by the way. VERY bitter and sour.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »
OK, good.  I wasn't worried about the animals eating the oleander, there is so much of it up here anyway and they don't eat it.  It was the idea of turning the pond into some kind of poison tea from blown in leaves that worried me, for the fish.    It's easier to keep the oleander from getting leggy than the hibiscus and it forms a nice solid screen so I'm going to try it.  We're out there digging a french drain type channel away from the pond and the pump.  When opening the prime pot a lot of water comes out and it is all running down behind the pond along the bottom drain pipe right now.  That can't be good so today is the day we divert it and we're taking it to the spot I want to plant the a screen plant.  It's a good day to plant that too.  Odd that while most of you are closing down your ponds and gardens, here this is the equivelent of spring and is the best time to plant and revive plants that the heat has stressed.  The temps finally got down into 2 digits today and while it may go over 100* again for a bit I think the 110* days are over for the year.  It seems so cool and balmy at 98* after a week of 110*.

Thanks for the help, I love you guys!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"