Author Topic: indoor pond doing its job........NEW Pics added.  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: indoor pond doing its job........NEW Pics added.
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2007, 07:23:39 AM »
Back to the original post since SOMEONE hijacked your thread. :( ;)

You are gonna have to build another pond next year for all of those tropicals !

It did get cool last night didn't it??

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2007, 04:16:57 PM »

?)(?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »
I loved seeing all the Koi houses and ideas.  It doesn't bother me at all that the subject gets changed. 

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2007, 09:41:39 AM »
Kim, that is a great set up and you certainly did get it for a steal. That wire shelf that you have, looks like you can pile a lot on it and it is sturdy? I want one across the end of my greenhouse, above the pond. To put plants on and hang light from. We looked at one at Home Depot over the weekend but DH didn't think it was sturdy enough. I'm so glad you posted that photo.

Bonnie, you could retrofit your shed. You can buy polycarbonate panels or use the sliding glass door. Jane's greenhouse is made out of sliding glass doors and windows left from her husband's jobs. The Harbor Frieght greenhouses are also very reasonable. They do need modifications though. Especially the big one. Still, the starting price is amazing. They are double walled polycarbonate.

Debbie, you would have to heat the water to keep tropicals alive. My greenhouse pond is sunk into the ground and insulated on all sides with styrofoam insulation sheets and I kept my greenhouse heated with an electric heater last year but the waterlilies all died. You are colder than I am. I did not heat the water. I will this year. I may use a horse trough heater or an aquarium heater I'm not sure. Yes, people use kerosene heaters in greenhouses. You need air vents.

Garden Web has a great greenhouse forum, many DIY tips there:  http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/strucs/
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:12 AM »
Everything looks great Kim O0
Your tropicals look quite happy.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2007, 11:36:11 AM »
I loved seeing all the Koi houses and ideas.  It doesn't bother me at all that the subject gets changed. 

We (I) got alittle carried away, I apologize... just the more I thought about it and found others doing the same thing I got so excited!

I try not to make it a habit of taking over someone's thread unless questions are asked and responses are needed so I'm sorry next time we see each other you can kick me in the butt! ;)

Oh and btw you need to give some of us ladies your secret.. how do you get DH to help pot lilies?  What's that saying,'when hell freezes over'  That's how it is here......

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
Bonnie it honestly doesn't bother me at all.  It was related.  As far as dh helping.  I think it gets him out of the bigger jobs, like redoing the bathroom that he started or the kitchen that we need to take the cabinets out of and put in a new floor.  We've needed to do both for a couple years now, he starts stuff like this and never finished.  Kind of like the waterfalls, its heavy work moving all that creek so he lets big jobs  like that slide.

Kim
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 12:07:00 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »

Debbie, you would have to heat the water to keep tropicals alive. My greenhouse pond is sunk into the ground and insulated on all sides with styrofoam insulation sheets and I kept my greenhouse heated with an electric heater last year but the waterlilies all died. You are colder than I am. I did not heat the water. I will this year. I may use a horse trough heater or an aquarium heater I'm not sure. Yes, people use kerosene heaters in greenhouses. You need air vents.

Garden Web has a great greenhouse forum, many DIY tips there:  http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/strucs/

Thanks LeeAnn, do ya think the water heater alone would keep them ok? I do have auto vents in the green house. And one faces north and one south and even when the wind blows they are sinsitive to that. Don't the tropicals go dormet like the hardies? and then start back up when it warms? Oh where is Craig when I need him. Forgive me, these are my first tropicals ever and I want so much to get it right! But I still think I'll keep them in the house this year since they are still sooo tiny. Ok great about the Karosine heaters. I was always told never to use them in the green house. I think startting them every night might become a real pain tho since I can't put them on auto start? Not to mention after I'm at work for the day the heat in there would get out of hand and it's too cold when I leave for work to shut them off?
Sorry Kim I think I just stold your thread again. But I get so eager to learn! :offtopic: :redface: :angel:
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2007, 08:26:05 PM »
I'm learning from each thing put on this post.  You all need not apologize, I'm loving each and every post.

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »

?)(?

Sweetie, I was meaning myself! {:-P;;

Kim, maybe I should be glad that DH doesn't help plant or pot things.. I want the big jobs done that I can't do or do by myself!

Have you purchased your heaters yet or decided what kind you are going with?
Also are you going to get special lighting or is it needed?

Does anyone know the difference between Acrylic and Polycarbonate Panels?

BTW, I spoke with DH about this and he said he would help me on this but he needs to build his shed/small barn before and has to reshingle or roof, so it's going to be next year before the conversion will be done but in the mean time I may try to overwinter my tropicals in there.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
Right now, I have the waterbed heater going.  I have it set at a nice even 80 degrees.  I could go without it, but I wanted to see if it could do the job.  Everything seems happy in there, Rhonda Kay and SOS are blooming in there.  Rhonda Kay has another bud ready to pop.  Tina? is trying, I see a couple buds on her.  Hoping she opens to see if she really is Tina.

Kim

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 05:35:13 PM »
I love your green house (it's more than just that).  O0  I'm amazed.  I am glad to be part of this community.  People here are friendly and are glad to help each other out.  That's what it's all about. 
Alfonso

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »
Debbie, I truly don't know. I just know that heating the greenhouse alone wasn't good enough and I'm not as cold as you are.

I'm no expert at over wintering tropicals. Heck, I can kill them during summer.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"