Author Topic: Rear ended today....  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Rear ended today....
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »
Had lunch at Frisch's today with my Brother, Mom and an out of town friend so I thought I would go to Lowes because I was looking for a couple new planters.

Came out of Lowes and was sitting at the stoplight with my turn signal on waiting for the green light... minding my own business and BAM.. an idiot rear ended me.   He was reaching in the back seat not paying attention. ::) {nono}

Anyway, I do not like lawyers and do not believe in suing for no reason

BUT

A few years ago DD was rear ended from someone and we barely got enough money to pay to fix her car and medical expenses because it hurt her back.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten an attorney in the beginning and after a year of us paying for everything I just took what Geico offered. 
(If it wouldn't have been for our medical insurance, we wouldn't have had enough)

Anyway, alittle damage was done to the back of my car and I'm having some pain in my neck...

I'm just thinking that it's possible that I might have to go to the chiropractor or therapy so I will want them to pay for that if I will need to go.
And of course, my car fixed.........

So, should I wait and let the insurance company take care of things?  What approach do I need to take, just in case???

Thanks much,
Bonnie

(BWT - Yes, I called the police)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Rear ended today....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:28:22 PM »
My hubby is a lawyer...  lol
Sounds like you have a bit of whiplash.  Go to your doctor or chiro guy.  Make sure you doc.  everything.  Keep a journal.  Even if you feel 100% in a couple of days ( I hope you do!) you'll have a record if things flare up in a few months.  I don't think you need to see a lawyer yet... Just keep good records now.  How you feel, what the doctor say, what hurt when you did it, etc.
Tammie

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. 

You didn't say if he had insurance or if the police took a report.  Take photos of your car.  Contact his insurance company and make a claim.  If a police report wasn't taken, his insurance company will likely send a representative to take a statement from you and then determine if they are responsible.  Once they determine they are responsible they will either have you go to a claims adjuster or send one to you to look at the car.  Then they will eventually send you a check for the cost of repairs.  The medical end is usually handled separately.  Once your doctor determines that your injury has become stabilized and you need no further treatment his insurance will contact them and make payments either directly to them or to you for dispersal to them.  When you seek medical treatment you need to let them know that it was from a traffic collision so that they won't try to bill you.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »
Bonnie,
Number one:  DO NOT GO TO A CHIRO****

At the risk of  pi### off anyone here, Chiros are quacks.  My sister is married to the top internal medicine Doctor in Charlotte, and her son (My nephew http://www.mayoclinic.org/neurology-rst/12486035.html ) is a top doctor at the Mayo clinic in Minnesota  (anyone ever heard of it?) and both can testify as to the damage they have had to deal with caused by well meaning Chiros.

Number two:  You WILL feel worse tommorrow!  Go to a doctor today and get Robaxin or a similar muscle relaxant so you can feel better tommorrow.

Don't sign anything until you feel really good, which can take several weeks. 

Lord, I wish these idiots would learn to PAY ATTENTION  while they are driving!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:57:27 AM »
OH NO Bonnie....that sucks big time.....Been there, done that...have the back pain to prove it....take care of yourself and see a Dr. just to make sure your O.K.
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »
Sorry to hear that Bonnie. I've been there done that as well. Only my guy hit me at 45 mph. and totalled a 4 month old car. I hit the guy in front of me, and I was yards back from him.  Better yet I could see it was coming,but couldn't do a thing about it. I also have the back pain to prove it. The firemen told me he didn't expect to see anyone walk away from it, and that I was very lucky. My car performed the way it was supposed to. And I thank God no one was with me. Esp the kids. The back window was blown out, and my seat busted. The top of my seat would of hit the childs lap if there was one there. Shudder to think what would of happened then. The car was full of glass. This happened in 1996.

For one thing DON'T SIGN ANY PAPERS till you know exactly what they are for. (that's where your lawyer comes in) In my case we had this "torque" thing. (hey we were young and dumb when we got ins.) and I couldn't sue unless I had lost a limb. I did go to the chiro, and he did make me feel better,but they had cut paying him,but he didn't tell me this. I continued to go quite a while till I finally found this out. He was treating me for free. He never said a word. Now how many would do that?

You WILL be sorer the next day, believe me. Two hrs later I was at my ins. Co. office filling out paper work, and all of a sudden the secretary said the color in my face ran white, and I felt like S*IT. It just hit me all at once. Dh made me go to the hospital when he got home. I hurt so bad the next day I could not move one leg to get up off the couch. I had to physically "pick" my leg up to move it over.
Then had to sit on the steps to go down them. (this was the second day, the first day I couldn't even do steps.)

So feel lucky it was not worse. Good Luck !!!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 11:34:03 AM »
Bonnie ,  glad you weren't seriously hurt . Go to the doctor for a check up tho or chiro whatever u feel comfortble (sp..again) with .

John,
U won't p**s me off with your talk about chiropractor's
.... ;), everyone has their opion about them...  :)..some good ... O0..some bad.... >:(....maybe they're not too good with injury's caused by a car accident ...I don't really know ,.. :).. I do know however that by going to a chiropractor my FIL & DH was healed ....both were bent over double from a back injury caused by accedent's here on the farm ..both went to a  chiropractor . It took several week's to get them all straighted up but they are in great shape now and that was over 25 year's ago.

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »
I think it is sad though when someone makes a statement like they know everything there is to know about something and they don't.

Both my parents, my husband, my oldest son, and I have all been helped by chiropractors. We also have been helped by MDs and some of us work with homeopaths.  It is pretty much a known fact that in most cases there is much hostility and disagreement between MDs and chiropractors and homeopaths but I have never been told to stay away from MDs by chiropractors or homeopaths but it isn't true about the other way around.

In my case, one time after I consulted with the MD because I needed a referral to go outside my regular DR so the insurance would pay, he said he'd refer me because that time he thought the chiropractor could help and he did.  But it didn't do any good to have gone to the MD first because insurance wouldn't cover it unless there had been a definite injury like from a fall or a car accident. By the way, the chiropractor took care of the problem and I paid the bill.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »
Oh that's terrible Bonnie.  Drivers, just don't pay attention to what they are doing.  Hope your feeling better soon.  Like the others said, you'll be more sore tomorrow. 

There was a rear ender at Walmart today, just like you they were sitting at the light. 

When I was in an accident a few years back.  I hurt my knee, and I just gave the hospital and my regular doc their car insurance information and they billed them.  I never saw the first bill.  I didn't want to fight to get my money back.  I knew I was going to hit this lady, there wasn't anything I could do.  She ran a stop sign and it was POURING rain.  I tried to advoid her, but it was either hit an oncoming car or nail her in the side.  If I would have hit the oncoming car it would have been my fault, but hitting her running the stop sign made it her fault.  I tore her van all to pieces, a few another foot up and it would have been right in her drivers door and she would have been hurt.  I'm also glad I was driving a pick up truck.  The only thing that bothered me was, my mom was in the car with me too. 

The lady tried to blame me, and said I came out of no where.  There are no streets besides the one she was coming out of.  Then she said I was doing 75.  The speed limit is 35 and I wasn't even doing that because it was raining to hard.  She just plain out didn't stop, I tried every thing I could to stop.  I pushed on those brakes so hard, and the impact is what hurt my knee. 

So, if you have the other persons insurance info, call their ins. co. and tell them what you need, they should give you a reference number or claim number.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:52:56 AM »
Thanks all.. I think I'll live.  ( Darn a couple people are saying ;))

Sorry I didn't go into details more..

Luckily the guy didn't hit me hard and the bumper just has some heavy scratches and knicks where his license plate cut into my bumper cover, so I'll be okay.

It takes nothing to get my neck hurting so a jolt like that didn't help.

As far as a Chiropractor.. everyone has different opinions and experiences.  Like Medical Doctors there are good and bad.
I do know there are a couple good ones in the area.  The test first and will not touch a person if they feel they will do further harm.  However they will put you on their machines and have a massage therapist that helps as far as muscle tension, etc.

The policeman didn't write out an accident report because he thinks I have under $1,000 in damage but he did write out a report which has all insurance info, etc and gave a copy to myself and the gentleman.
I'll be calling insurance in the a.m to get the ball rolling....

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 11:09:58 AM »
Oh Bonnie, so sorry.

Don't sign off on anything right away, don't let them pressure you.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm so sorry, I hope your injury isn't long-lasting.  I got rear-ended about five years ago, and got a mild case of whiplash, we were thrown into the car in front of us.  My dd in the back seat hit her head on the side window.  We went to the Doctors right away, don't put it off!  It will actually hurt your case if you wait, the insurance company will wonder why you waited and be suspicious.  And as previously stated, don't sign anything at ALL.  The driver who hit me had insurance, they took care of my doctor bills right away.  They also offered $1000.00 if I'd sign a release form, which I had lying around, just waiting to sign and mail back to them.  About 3-4 days later my neck began to hurt, and even though I hadn't signed the release form, I had deposited the check.  I called the guy's insurance company and told them I had changed my mind, but too late for me.   ::)  Thankfully I haven't had a lot of pain since then.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:43:53 PM »
Esther,

I love you like a sister because I know your heart is pure.  But your comment regarding me: "I think it is sad though when someone makes a statement like they know everything there is to know about something and they don't." is so unlike you. 

I DO know of what I speak, but usually, when offering advice, I add the "free advice is worth what you pay for it” disclaimer, although I did not in the above post. I DID, however indicate that I knew that there would be some who would disagree vehemently with my opinion.  I just did not expect it to be from you.  Now, I am NOT a doctor, nor have I ever claimed to be.  I HAVE had the advantage all of my life of a fairly good IQ and a substantial ability to recognize quackery in any vocation, having spent my adult life as both a scientific technician and a CPA, and of lately as a curmudgeon (a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas) .
 " If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it usually is a duck."

Here is the first bottom line:   Personal testimonials are completely worthless as a component of scientific research.  For example: Before the FDA all kinds of ridiculous claims were made by believing individuals that on the face of it was superfluous. Specifically, the claim “I could digest a brick if I had my instant postum to drink with it" was a serious claim made by a serious person.  Of course it was ridiculous.  People have claimed to have been cured by all kinds of quack medication, and even the University of Illinois was taken in by the Laetrile cancer treatment scandal {“During 1980, movie star Steve McQueen attracted considerable attention when he was treated with Laetrile at another Mexican clinic under the supervision of William D. Kelley, a dentist who had been delicensed by the State of Texas after several brushes with state and federal law enforcement authorities. Although McQueen gave a glowing report when he began his treatment, he died shortly afterward”.}  [See http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/laetrile.html ] . (By the way, laetrile was compounded from apricot pits and its main active ingredient was CYANIDE).   Many people who suffer injury to joints and their back claim miraculous treatment from chiropractors. But many people recover from such injuries without any treatment whatsoever.  But having paid a chiropractor for treatment predisposes the victim to lay the accolades to the chiropractor for any improvement in their condition.

One of the favorite treatments these QUACKS love to demonstrate, other than their "subluxation of the spine" (WHAT IS THAT???),  is to "ADJUST" the cervical spine. 
This is among the worst things these QUACKS do as they actually CAUSE STROKES in their victims as a result.

Now for the rest of the story:  PLEASE read the following articles:

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/09/24/03.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1914

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/SA00080

http://www.rebuildyourback.com/chiropractic/stroke.php

http://www.chirobase.org/07Strategy/complain.html

http://www.pkblogs.com/amr2you/2006/03/chiropractic-treatment-with-no-benefit.html

Now, certainly, one can find  a myriad of websites that claim the advantages of chiropractic treatment.  But do any of them offer clinical proof?  None that I have ever seen, and I have looked.

Now look at this website: http://luraychiro.com/chirocare.html

These IDIOTS claim to be able to treat: Fever

Colic

Croup

Hypertension

Poor Posture

Nervousness

Constipation

Bed-wetting

Weakness/Fatigue       

Stomachaches

Sinus Problems
 Loss of Hearing

Ear Infections

Arthritis

Numbness

Irritability

Headaches

Neckaches

Backaches

Sore Throat

Eye Problems

Cough
 Skin Disorders

Asthma/Wheezing

Bronchitis

Frequent Colds

Poor Coordination

Poor Concentration

Arm, Hand, Shoulder Pain

Painful Joints

Hip, Leg, Foot Pain

Scoliosis

Through "Spinal adjustments"??  Why did they not include HIV and Erectile dysfunction???

Do you finally begin to see QUACK as even a remote possibility?????

In conclusion, I must note that in addition to having in my family, one of the top internal medicine specialists in the state of North Carolina, as well as his son, a top neurologist at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, but also a niece who is a career sports medicine practitioner in Chicago who uses massage therapy for innumerable sports injuries who ALL hold the same opinion of chiropractors as QUACKS.

Now the REAL bottom line:

Massages feel good. Properly done, they can often bring relief to sore or cramped muscles.  But, even massage therapy can do harm, and in the case of chiropractors, serious harm both to your body AND to your pocketbook.

As I said before, Testimonials are WORTHLESS in scientific research and proof.  There has never been (And likely never will be) any empirical proof that chiropractic ever cured or helped anyone. No MRI or any other scan has shown any improvement in anyone’s spine as a result of chiropractic treatment.
If you want to see (AND PAY) a chiropractor for treatment, that is your prerogative.  But for God’s sake, don’t let him screw with your NECK!!!  (Because he can kill you)

I am certain that those whose minds are made up will still disagree.  That is their prerogative.

Please do not take the quote below personally, but it is one of the maxims of life that I have discovered in my 68 years, and is a Johns original thought.  Use it whenever you like, but please attribute it to me..

“ The cure for ignorance is enlightenment.
Alas, there is no cure for stupidity”  Johns

That is all I have to say on this subject.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 05:43:33 AM »
Folks I apologize that this is getting heated.   

I do know that I had a Dr. once that told me to get a certain book and read it because there was a guy who "exposed" Chiropractors and came to the theory that they were not what they claimed.  I do see where John is coming from and do believe they can go to far......

Kinda like a reflexology which supposedly a foot massage will help with disease, etc..

I did find out yesterday that this gentleman has a "coverage Issue" with his insurance and my insurance company has to take care of things now.   I'm assuming under the new privacy laws that they can not tell me that he doesn't have insurance?

Good thing for Uninsured Motorists but shame on him..... DEADBEAT.  If you can't afford car insurance, don't own or drive a car.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
That bites, Bonnie.  I agree, if can't afford ins. then you shouldn't be driving.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »
I agree with Johns 100%  PI Attorneys send whiplash victims to Chiropractors cause they will say just what the Lawyer wants.. My son-in-law was a PI attorney.  He says it's all a game. one needs the "visits" to run up the bill.  MY son is an Insurance Defense Attorney, just the opposite,  He exposes these jerks!
Now, I have friends I respect who swear by Chiros.  I always think they would have gotten better anyway!
Therapy is better by a legit physical therapist, but even there they would love to keep you coming for ever when the excellent simple exercise they give you can be done at home as well.  I did!  It's all about money!
I played ball with Md's and Chiros.  I was appalled by the things chiros said about their patients, remarks about private parts,especially pretty ones we knew at out gym. Pure sexist remarks.  I am no angel but a so called DR. does not act like that.  The Md's were always circumspect.
OF COURSE THERE ARE honest and legit Chiros.  It's still BS with made up words!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:04:46 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"