Author Topic: Rolling and a Shaking!!!  (Read 1646 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Rolling and a Shaking!!!
« on: September 02, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
 :woot: I felt the first earthquake in our area for the first time in a very long time.  I read it was a 4.7 from Lake Elsinore.  I was sitting on the floor (concrete foundation) and I literally felt each cheek move over a wave to and fro.  The house rattled a bit mostly the windows and sliding doors.

The weather has been real humid and HOT w burning flames  :blowup:  Threatening thunder, clouds and more humidity....   This is So Cal?  We're up to 100* so far.  AC on at 80* and it won't quit.  All we need is a blackout...bite my tongue  :D

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling and a Shaking!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:44:46 PM »
Well you sure sound cool talking about it. I think that if it was me, I'd be packing.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »
 lol
I was sitting on the floor (concrete foundation) and I literally felt each cheek move over a wave to and fro. 

lol lol lol lol

Glad it wasn't a big one that caused damage. 

I know what you mean about the a/c not kicking off.  Its in the 90's here now.  Louisville set a AUG. high, we had tripple digits during that month and the humity, not fun.  I'm dreading seeing the Utility bill. The US, has had some freaky weather this year.  The only thing that would make me happy is if they bumped up are zone to 7 instead of 6b ish. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 08:29:15 PM »
Well it was not an impressive shaker.  Didn't feel any of the aftershocks.  Some of my neighbors didn't feel anything.  Others thought it was a sonic boom or something.  I only worry about the turtles 50 gal aquarium in the backyard.  Just don't feel like fishing 8 turtles from broken glass.

It turned out to be a 4.7 centered about 60 miles east away over the mountain.  Still hot in the evenings here which is very unusual for  desert climate.  trying to share the power, keeping the thermostat turned up to 80*.  Only sweating slightly  :D

Esther, other parts of the country have Mother Nature packing in a punch with advance notice.  I couldn't live knowing something devastating is on its way towards me and all I can do is wait for it to hit.  Hurricanes in particular!   With earthquakes I know it's going to happen but we get lax since it doesn't happen often.  Just don't think about them.  Knock on WOOD, so far we've been damage free.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »
I was out walking at the time of the shake and I didn't feel either of my cheeks move ;D

I'm not as hot here as you, perhaps mid 90's today, but we have never run the air so late into the evening as we have the last three nights.  It's nearly 10pm and the air is still on....  We usually are able to shut it off by 6pm....  It's still in the low 80's outside which is pretty unusual here.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »
Never felt it either, the DW says she did.
HOT? I can't remember leaving the A/C on all night.  We did now.  The upstairs never gets real cool.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:22:57 AM »
Well you sure sound cool talking about it. I think that if it was me, I'd be packing.

I'd be packing my bag's too...
bonnie

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
I was born in Orange County, CA and got used to earthquakes.  I remember one Halloween I was eating a sandwich, sitting in the "big" chair, watching "Groovy" - does anyone remember that beach dance show?  We had a earthquake and the big chair "danced" across the floor, and then "danced" back again.  Just kept eating my sandwich and watching "Groovy", just a almost weekly thing, those earthquakes. 
Last October when we had that pretty good size earthquake here everybody was running around the house, slightly panicing, except me.  lol   For goodness sake it's just a earthquake!  Then the power went off.  Now that made me mad!
Glad everthing is okay, and your cheeks aren't bruised, are they?!  lol
Tammie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »
No bruised cheeks!  lol

I thought we were doing real well without AC until this past week.  Like you said Jerry normally the house cools down rapidly after 5pm.  I think the AC has been on for 4 days straight - turned off only when we go out for more than a few hours.  At least I'm using my share of the electricity (I don't use the AC to cool my yard like some neighbors do  :D

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 11:10:52 AM »
LMCheeksOff!   lol

Glad it wasn't a "big" one.  I have felt a couple of minor ones in my lifetime, the last was just a big "boom" in the middle of the night here in Connecticut.  I guess you aren't safe anywhere. 

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:29:50 PM »
Did not feel them either.

Do not have AC, and usually it is not a problem. At the office all day, and the house cools fast at sunset. This weekend saw us on the patio with the misting system on - the house was a no go furnace.

Spent Saturday on the beach in Malibu - just gorgeous along the coast, so comfortable.
We should be back to normal by tomorrow, please god!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
Today is still hot but not as hot as the past few days.  I felt like a prisoner in my own home!  Last night we went to our neighbors for a BBQ (I felt like the stuck pig it was so hot!!) and sweat-out with good friends for Labor Day.

Keep your fingers crossed for lower temperatures they're promising for the rest of the week.  I'm planning to go to Big Bear Thursday for the rest of the week - no AC!!

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »
We don't normally have earthquakes here. We did have one back in the mid-80's and it was quite the experience. Scared the &*%$ out of me because I didn't have any idea what was happening. ::)

Its been hot here too but this week we are supposed to start cooling down into the 80's. Its been warmer than usual here for September. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"