Author Topic: Close up photos of new tropical hybrid  (Read 1747 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Close up photos of new tropical hybrid
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:35:37 AM »
My crop of new hybrids were promising but were mostly destroyed by a deer attack. Of this particular plant, I had two of them, one was totally eaten. This plant was pulled from its pot and all the roots and pads and stems were also eaten and the tuber deposited on the lawn to dry out. I replanted it in late june, hoping that it would recover. It took all summer and it finally bloomed for me a couple of weeks ago. It is a cross between N. Moonbeam and N. Golden West. Moonbeam being the pod parent. Now the plant has numerous side shoots which will give me more plants. Its interesting to note that it suffered shock from its ordeal and to make up for the trauma, it tubered and made lots of little babies. I think I have found a good way to propagate a tuber, shock it  @O@.

Its blooming non stop, last count was 4 blooms and nine buds surfacing. 

It is similar to Moonbeam so I am not sure if a name is in its future. The only major difference that I see is the shape of the flower and petals. The color in the photos is accurate, it has a pale blue tint to the ends of the petals and a slight green/yellow tint to the inside of the petals.

Plants that were destroyed this year by the deer were: 2 Golden Wests, 1 Red Flare, 2 Moonbeams, and many others that I cannot remember now.

Give me your thoughts.

lou

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Close up photos of new tropical hybrid
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »
Wow, that's really pretty!

I think you may be on to something.... When I listen to the gardening shows on the radio, they often say that stress causes a plant to bloom, in an effort to reproduce.  In fact, with some plants, like bouganvilla and lantana, you are supposed to make them suffer - drought, heat, severe cutting back, etc.  They bloom like crazy!

Makes sense that your lily did the same. 

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:33:08 AM »
That's gorgeous Louis!   O0
Joey

Offline Mucky_Waters

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
The color in the photos is accurate, it has a pale blue tint to the ends of the petals and a slight green/yellow tint to the inside of the petals.

Hi Loius
On my computer the ends of the petals look pale purple and the insides look yellow.
Im curious what everyone else sees? Is my monitor color that far out?

I'm also curious what model camera you use for taking you photos, I have viewed many of your photos here and you obviously have some significant photographic skills.  O0

By the way, I can relate to your deer problem. I finally had to put a 6 ft. fence all the way around my back yard to help prevent the deer from getting into my veggetable garden. They still, on occasion, walk up the stairs and across my deck to get into the garden. Crazy deer  :D

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:18:48 AM »
I would be the first in line to buy that lily. It is gorgeous!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:35:56 AM »
I would be right behind Vickie in the checkout line. I really like the form and color of it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:55:22 AM »
Very Pretty!  O0

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
That is a very attractive plant!

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »
Looks like a keeper to me.  I like how the ends are tipped in lavendar/purple/blue. 

Kim
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:16:58 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
The color in the photos is accurate, it has a pale blue tint to the ends of the petals and a slight green/yellow tint to the inside of the petals.

Hi Louis
On my computer the ends of the petals look pale purple and the insides look yellow.
I'm curious what everyone else sees? Is my monitor color that far out?

I'm also curious what model camera you use for taking you photos, I have viewed many of your photos here and you obviously have some significant photographic skills.  O0

By the way, I can relate to your deer problem. I finally had to put a 6 ft. fence all the way around my back yard to help prevent the deer from getting into my veggetable garden. They still, on occasion, walk up the stairs and across my deck to get into the garden. Crazy deer  :D

hi mucky,
different monitors will show colors differently, especially pale colors. LCD will change colors as you move your head, where CRT's are more accurate. the ends of the petals are a very pale blue as opposed to purple.

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:26:27 PM »
thanks everyone for your comments, they are appreciated.

lou

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »

Hi Loius
Im curious what everyone else sees? Is my monitor color that far out?

hi again mucky,
i forgot to answer your question on my camera. actually i have newer cameras but i cannot get the detail that i can in my old olympus E-10. i use it just for flower shots.

thanks for asking.

lou

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »
Look's like a keeper to me . I like it , it's diffrent  O0 .
bonnie

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »
Very nice blooms. I like the petal shape and the colour, especially now that I have recalibrated my monitors. So shook therapy works well for lilies too. Hope you have a better season next year.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »
Lou, that new lilie is absolutely stunning. And to think you're so lucky that you
even found the tuber.  I'm first in line to stick my hand up in air, yes, want one!!!
Love the colors.  Marie

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »
Hey Louis:

I like it I like it  o(:-) o(:-) 8-)~ o(:-) o(:-) @O@ @O@

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »
Its really pretty Louis. O0 Sounds like its a good bloomer and a tough plant. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"