Author Topic: Plans for next year  (Read 779 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Plans for next year
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:12:49 PM »
Yes, the pond is never complete.  I wondered what are your plans for next year.  I am planning to rearrange the pond plants.  I moved a number of the land plants and I am very happy with that.  I plan to put the hibist in the water behind the larger waterfall maybe with a banana tree.  I want the dam beween the upper and lower pond to have plants on it but short plants so maybe I can see the water lilies from the house.  Hope to have the kiddie pond working before the year is over. Depending on how well that works will determine what new lilies I will try out here.  I was very happy with the potatoe vine on the smaller pond but in the long run I would like to have some thing that would be evergreen there one day. 

Myra      o(
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for next year
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »
how about getting it really FINISHED around the edge of the pond itself (need backfill and 3" more water to be really full) and the deck and sitting area.

Adding one more sand/gravel filter and a tiered watergarden area as part of the filtration of the pond..adding hyacinths and maybe a colorado as they don't mind moving water..
Mary

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
We are still working on the stock tank waterfall....it should be done soon (I hope.) 
I still have to pull out or cut out an old fence that is in between the pond edge and a small concrete slab (where we sit in the shade and watch the fishies!) 
I am still experimenting with plants, seeing what likes to live around the pond happily.  The asparagus ferns have taken off like crazy, kind of creep along and are hardy here, so I might add a couple more of them.  Same thing with the native violets. 
I want to add a couple of my banana tree pups to the back side of the pond and a jasmine that I took as a cutting from my dentist's landscaping :D 
I need another ton or so of rock to really get the edges looking like I imagine them and finish the waterfall.  Rock is way too expensive here. 
More dirt needs to be hauled in a couple of low spots along the berm and in the flowerbeds because the berm drains into the flower bed now and the run off is drowning the roses. 
I still have liner peeking out in odd places. 
I have room for one or maybe two more lilies and a lotus...those are on my wish list {:-P;; 
I have to dig up more Louisiana irises (they are naturalized on our property...we have thousands!  If you need irises...let me know! lol!) and get them into the pond.

That's my short term pond to-do list ;)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 08:34:46 AM »
My yard is really small, so I'm limited to what I can do with the pond.

I expanded my pond two years ago, and at that time did away with any tall plants sitting in it, because, visually, they were clogging up the view and making the yard seem closed in.  It was a good move. 

I expanded again by 3' this past March, when I also added a bog filter.  I LOVE the bog filter!  Even though it requires a weekly flush, instead of being "maintenance free" as the pond shop people told me.

I thought I was happy with this set-up.  But I ended up with an extra liner, and it's long enough that I could expand the bog filter one foot and the pond by two feet, which would give me (and the fish) an additional hundred gallons or thereabouts.  So..., looks like I have another excavation project for this winter! - once it's cool enough that the fish can live in 5-gallon buckets while I dig, dig, dig!  After Christmas would be good, so I can put on my Wish List a couple of things I will need from Home Depot and the water garden store.

In the interum, I'm toying with designs, like the idea of adding a waterfall in the middle, or a shallow end just for plants, or a divided pond with part being only for my fantails.  Just milling it over right now. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"