Author Topic: Coiuld this be MOSS on my rocks this quick or is it algae? ......  (Read 1464 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Coiuld this be MOSS on my rocks this quick or is it algae? ......
« on: September 16, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »
I so want to have moss covered rocks on my falls, but where I had to waterproff and seal the cement made rocks, I was told moss probably wouldnd grow on them but I think I see a few spots of moss..  the rock gets a small dribble from the falls. 

The rock is full day sun.  If it is moss what will happen to it when I shut down the waterfall for the winter?

tinkster

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Coiuld this be MOSS on my rocks this quick or is it algae? ......
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:44:35 PM »
Looks like algae to me, but that can be just as attractive. 

I have both moss and algae on the rocks in my falls.  The algae that grows on them is thick and dark green and looks a lot like moss, but it's on the wettest rocks, so I assume it's algae.  The moss is on all the ones near, but not in the water.  There is moss on rocks in the water, but not below the water line.

Whatever it is, it will most likely die when you shut the falls down.  But if it's moss, it should come back when you start them up again.  Mine is all dead right now because my falls have been shut down for a while.  My piping from the skimmer to the falls needs to be replaced and I cannot do it.  Have a brother coming to visit who promised to help (he owns a watergardening business.)

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 02:05:14 PM »
I have the same problem.  i must get in the pond and scrub it away.  I suspect that is lile broadcasting seeds.
Hard to see in this photo, but it forms where the water hits the rock.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »
Why must you scrub it away?  If it's growing there and removing nutrients, it's doing a good thing and, at least in my pond, it doesn't look that bad on the falls.  I admit that I don't like it growing on the lip rock, but it doesn't look that bad on the rest of the rockery.  I know my pond is different from most, but I haven't found that what grows on the falls spreads much . . . so I just leave it there and let it be part of the filter system.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:48:01 PM »
It grows on my falls rocks too, and when I add water after a few days the fish actually make loud noises like slurping and sucking because they LOVE to eat it when they can reach it again after adding water!  lol
I tried scrubbing it away, and that only lasted a few days, too much work for too little reward in my book.  I'm just leaving it and let the fish eat it.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 04:23:41 PM »
Tinkster, this pic shows the edge of my waterfall. The upper rock has moss on it and the lower one some algae. The moss is not in the water at all, just growing in the moist air that surrounds it. The algae is growing in the stream of water. The moss has survived 3 or 4 winters in that location and I also shut down my falls for the winter. Sorry I can't help you on growing the moss because it was on the rock when I placed it there.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Re: Could this be MOSS on my rocks this quick or is it algae? ......
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
tink, that is algae, don't remove it, it serves a good purpose in life.

lou

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »
Croft, Interesting point! I've often wondered how moss could grow on a rock in full sun (my pond), never thought that it could be the surrounding moisture that's keeping it alive.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"