Author Topic: Sarracenia - Canadian source?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sarracenia - Canadian source?
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:10:11 AM »
Sean or anyone else....  Do you know of a Canadian source for Sarracenia?  I'm looking for S. purpurea mainly but the only plants I saw for sale were small and in rough condition for $25.  Too pricey for what they were I thought.  If I can find an accessible spot with many, many plants I will collect 4 or 5 for my bog.  We did go looking last weekend but we couldn't get at the area where the plants were.  Our little bog is filling in nicely with small cranberry (Vaccinium oxycoccos) and 1 Sarracenia cultivar (can't think of what it is right now) that has overwintered successfully twice.  I really want to fill the peat bog with native pitcher plants and sundews.  I have seen Sarracenia seed on Ebay, perhaps I should give that a try.  emm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:26:11 AM by emm »

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Sarracenia - Canadian source?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
Hi Emm,

I have created a Canadian Carnivorous Plant Network at this address http://ccpn.nytka.org/
Check out the links section, I have a link to Hawaiian Botanicals. They have tons of Sarracenia and other carnivorous plants.
Feel free to sign up on the forum there, it is a new forum so not many members yet.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:14:51 PM »
Sean,  Thanks a ton!!!!!!!  The forum looks like it will be a good one and the links are great.  Just time for a quick look tonight but I will most definately be back.  Thanks so much.  emm

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:26:32 PM »
http://www.californiacarnivores.com/ Not sure if they'll export to you, but I got some nice plants for a good price during their dormant plant sale. They don't list Canada as a place they ship to but you could e-mail them to see if the know of a grower north of the border.

There is also http://www.carnivorousplants.org/index.html for information.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 10:35:29 PM by Rocmon »

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:42:09 AM »
Try Hawaiian Botanicals  http://www.hawaiianbotanicals.com/carnivorous.html

They are in Richmond BC. I have shopped with them before and I know they have S. purpurea.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"