Author Topic: I watched my Bad Dog get hit by a car today!  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I watched my Bad Dog get hit by a car today!
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:21:59 PM »
All the while she was running toward the highway in front of our house, I was running after her, yelling at the top of my lungs, and pushing the button on the shock collar.  I'll swear, I think that dog would run right through an electric fence and drag it after her if she was determined to go somewhere.   {nono}

The first car that went by missed her, and then I watched (and prayed furiously) as another car slowed and eventually slammed on his brakes just as she was almost across the road.  However, I did hear it hit her.  I was almost afraid to look after I heard the sound, but she turned around and ran back across the road to me...and almost got hit by another car.  I couldn't believe it, but she wasn't even limping.  I tried to inspect her right hip, because that's where it had to hit her. 

I brought her in the house and poked and prodded. I didn't get a flinch or a yelp out of her at all.  She's very stoic, tho, because it takes a lot to get a yelp out of her.  Since I definitely DID hear a "thump," I'm guessing that she just has a bruise on her hip from the accident.  She almost gave me a heart attack, tho...I was in worse shape than she was after it happened.   ::)

I turned the shock collar up as high as it will go and I am going to trim some of the hair under her neck.  I WILL find some way to keep that dog out of the highway.    >:(

Oh, I almost forgot...the driver of the car stopped several yards down the highway and, I believe, was intending to come back.  He went on after he saw Niña run back across the road to me.  He did everything he could to keep from hitting her, and I'm grateful for that.   o(:-)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I watched my Bad Dog get hit by a car today!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
So glad to hear that your dog was not apparently hurt.  That would be a horrible site to witness...  Do you get the National Geographic Channel with a program called the Dog Whisperer?  He has lots of great techniques for getting dogs to behave.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:52:58 AM »
Wow, you were lucky!!  I'm so glad she wasn't hurt.  I never had to put our dogs on an invisible fence, they stay off the road, but I did buy it for two of our cats.  It worked for one cat, but not the other.  He just ran right through it.  I honestly don't think it shocks if he is running, I never heard it beep.  I hope you can get that bad doggy trained!

Offline Lynn

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:43:29 AM »
That's frightening, Sandye! I'm so glad that he wasn't hurt...and that you survived the ordeal!

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »
Yikes!! Lucky dog!! Glad she didn't get seriously hurt.
I have a dog that's like that too. There isn't much of anything out there that he can't get through. I really hate it but we have to keep him chained up all the time. We've tried everything with him and he can always find a way out somehow. The chain seems to be the only thing that keeps him from running off. :( ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
How scary!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks everyone!   :)

Yes, we do get "The Dog Whisperer," Mikey.  I'm going to have to start taping it so I can watch it.  I bought the shock collar recently with the hope of trying to teach her she couldn't go through the gate.  Since she is a Great Pyrenees, I got the kind for large dogs and with the extra long prongs (to go through all that hair).  However, I'm now convinced I will have to trim the hair under her neck in order for her to feel it.   ::)

We took her out on a leash for the first five years we had her, but I decided about a year ago to let her go out without the leash to go potty.  She really needed the exercise.  All of the yard is fenced so she can't get through, but occasionally she decides to run through the open gate.  Wish me luck on finding some way to keep her from going through the gate.  I'm hoping that the bump on the hip might have taught her something...but I'm not making any bets on it.   :(

Shanna, I'm sorry you have to keep your dog on a chain.  I know you don't want to have to do that.  We had a golden retriever once (my daughter's actually) that we had to keep on a chain.  Niña is in the house all the time except to go potty.  If we put her outside, she'd have to be on a chain, too.

Barb, we never had to put Baby (my OES) on anything, either.  He wouldn't leave our property because he knew he wasn't supposed to.  He was the most obedient dog I've ever had.  I miss my Baby.   :'(

Lynn and LeeAnne, I'm still recovering.   :-\

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »
Sandye, ouch. I'm sorry that had to happen, but glad your dog is alive. I'd have been dead from that heart attack.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
glad bad dog is ok.

Fences usually kept my dogs where I wanted them.
Mary

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »
Glad all is okay Sandye..

Do you have the stubborn dog type of electric fence??

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
No, Bonnie, I bought a shock collar instead.  We have a very large yard (about 1½ acre), and I didn't want to have to install an electric fence around all of it by myself.  The whole yard is fenced except for the opening where the driveway is.  A gate across the driveway wouldn't work because the drive is a lot lower than the sides where the fence is, and she would be able to go under the gate. 

I bought the shock collar that had longer prongs included and is supposed to be for large, stubborn dogs.  However, I am still going to have to clip some of her GP ruff in order for the collar to work.   :-\

I intended to let her get close to the opening and then give her a shock so that she would think that the opening in the fence was what was causing her discomfort.  {:-P;;  However, since she was hit by the car, she hasn't made any attempt to go through the gate.  Maybe the bump did teach her a lesson after all.   ;)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »
She is one Lucky dog ! I'm glad she's ok .

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"