Author Topic: Pump problems-check out these pics!!!  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pump problems-check out these pics!!!
« on: September 22, 2007, 06:02:24 PM »
Got up this morning and noticed our falls was running slow.  One of our pumps wasn't working, just humming.  Of course I was worried that we needed a new one.  You can imagine how surprised we were when hubby pulled it up out of the water.  Woohoo, one less snake and the pump is fine :clap:

Karen

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pump problems-check out these pics!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:51:31 PM »
Well, if you are a snake, that is the definition of a really bad day! ;)  I have had a small invasion of snakes in my pond, but I never caught one like that!

Glad the pump is ok!!

Offline smallcrpt

• Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 04:23:57 AM »
Ha, i've seen that before only worse. I work on golf courses and we had a big floating pond aerator. One day it was acting up worse than usual. sometimes the algae blooms would get bad and you would have to shut it down for an hour and let the crap backflow out. But this one time we just couldn't get it going again.
So we busted out the leaky boat and went out to investigate... boy do i wish  i still had those pictures. When you looked in the top of the output there's just a tail. And when you flip it over and check out the whole pump there was  three foot common water snake totally wrapped up in the intake and aorund the motor. It took us over an hour to "fish" out all the parts of him.
I should see if i can get those pictures.
Im glad i haven't seen a snake around here yet, i think the ppl watching my pond would be a little more apprehensive.
-chris

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 06:34:57 AM »
Oh my  :o :o....never have caught one like that either......
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:02:56 AM »
Better you than me. Not afraid of snakes but don' t like them either. At leaast he will not be getting any of your fish and your pump is OK.  What kind of sanke is it? Thanks for sharing with us. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:50:21 AM »
Not sure of this snakes proper name, we just call them nasty old watersnakes.  Cleanup was a breeze, however much of him had gone into the hole was totally ground up and went through the pump.  :o

Welcome to the forum Chris. :welcome:

Karen

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »
Must have been a relief to realize you didn't need to replace your pump.  I hope you didn't loose any fish before the snake met its demise...
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 09:13:59 AM »

Do those snakes eat your fish?  I assume that's why they're in the pond in the first place, right?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »
Eeeew, I'm glad it was the snake and not your pump.  What a horrible way to go though.  My neighbor found 3 little snakes swimming across her pond last week.  I've never seen any in my ponds, but that doesn't mean their not there.  I wonder if the droughts are having an effect on some of them seeking water in other resources.

Kim
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 01:16:03 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:27:29 AM »
 :o :o :o
Just looking at the pictures give me the heebie jeebies.

I'm sure your fishies loved ground snake  ;D

:D :D :D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 03:08:16 PM »
Yes, those snakes do eat fish.  A few years ago, we saw a snake swimming across our pond with a hugh goldfish in its mouth.  Larger than we ever imagined that it could eat.  I'm sure this one had eaten a few meals on us, but we have a lot of goldfish and can't really tell when they go missing.

Karen

Offline Chris D

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:32:46 PM »
Hi all, That is the banded water snake and yes they will clean out a pond in a hurry (fish wise) I live on a lake and they come to my pond quite often they can take some pretty big fish. Now I'm raising my koi and othe fish in the garage in a 150 gal stock tank with a bio filter until they get big enough to have a chance against the snakes. That picture gives me great pleasure to see because of all of my fish they have taken from me it was like losing a real pets when you raise them from little 3 and 4 inch to a good size and have them taken from you is a real shame. I have one now that comes to the pond that I have been after for a couple of months now I will get him in due time but for now I have 2 largemouth bass in the pond which are a natural predator of the water snake have not seen him for a while since the bass have been in there. One way or another I was going to have somthing to look at in the pond so if it has to be some bass so be it for now.      chris

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
Hi Chris, and  :welcome:to the forum!

Please tell us more about your pond, maybe you could start a new thread and introduce yourself.  What state are you from?  We always love pictures!

Karen

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 05:12:47 PM »
First glad to see that Karens pond is going to be fine, I love her pond! Second funny you mentiond bass. I have 1 large florida strain 2 medium and 2 small bass in my pond. The other day a small snake 12-15 inches long was trying to escape me and headed off across the pond when the swirling death from below snatched him up.  one second thinking it had escaped the human, next he was emulating spaghetti..... It shocked me :o and amuzed me at the same time ;D Nature in reverse.... Loved it!  lol Now if it would just eat the neighbors dog that keeps wading through my lillies and breaking them off..... Well maybe bite him in the butt so he will stop wading in there....

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"