Author Topic: winterizing structures  (Read 1725 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
winterizing structures
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
Well, fall is fast approaching up here. Seems like the season just got into full swing!
I know some of you have some creative ways of covering your ponds for fall/winter. Can you post some pics and instructions?
I usually use 2 nets for leaves, but they never work very well. We try to stake them so they are not in the water. It never fails, they get covered with leaves and then it rains and the weight sinks the whole thing. I was thinking maybe some type of pVC structure with clear plastic sheeting over it? Thinking a teepee kind of shape so maybe the leaves would roll off at least when they are dry? Needs to be stored easily and really cheap!!
Kathy

Offline Pam B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: winterizing structures
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
Preplexed,
I'm also seeking the solution for a easy to build frame so I can keep my plants and fish toasty all winter long. In previous years, I over wintered my larger Koi in a 100 gallon stock tank, located in my basement. The fish are to large for this. Any suggestion with pictures would be greatful.
Thanks,
Pam

Offline Vickie

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:17:15 PM »

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »
Vickie, I see that you've used large pieces of styrafoam to keep the plastic off the water surface in one of your ponds. I realize that you are in a much warmer zone than I am but do you think the styrafoam will stay intact all winter with my freezing temps (0*F, -20*C). I guess I am more worried about the repeat freeze-thaws we get.  I currently use beach inflatables that sometimes don't stay inflated all winter :)
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »
The Eastern Iowa Pond Club just had a 2 part article from a member who covers his pond with a home made greenhouse system.

Part 1-

http://www.eips.org/newsletter/august2007.php#17

Part 2-

http://www.eips.org/newsletter/newsletter.php#17
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »
Croft that starfoam was used that year. But now we just use the boards. It works for us. And we put it on before the leaves fall into the ponds.  I do leave about 1/4 the pond uncovered for venting. I really think it helps but lik you said we are warmer. we have not seem -10F for years. Last winter we had a few days of 4*F, that was the coldest. Even my above ground ponds with no cover did okay.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:23:25 AM »
Those articles were great. it's a little too much for me to handle though.
I was thinking something more along the lines of Vickie's system (GREAT PHOTOS!! THANKS VICKIE)
but maybe instead of boards, bending long lengths of PVC into arcs and covering with plastic. My thought is maybe the leaves would slide off?
Vickie, do you think the plastic helps to keep the water warmer?
I was also wondering about a solar cover for a pool, but the algae may get out of control with no plant cover. What do you think?
Kathy

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 06:20:23 AM »
Don't forget about snow load.  PVC hoops aren't real sturdy.  Leaves won't be a problem (unless they are wet), but wet snow could bring it all down.  Just a thought.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 12:29:33 PM »
Josh, you are probably right! The snow does get really heavy and probably wouldn't slide the way the leaves would (when dry). Darnit, just when you think nyou have ti all figured out! haha!
Kathy

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:13:46 PM »
I put slits in the plastic, when snow melts it drains. And we had some snow last yr too. So far not a problem here. It works for me and it is cheap too. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
I love those ideas.  I can just see my fat cats walking across the pond though, darn it.  I'm afraid they'd dislodge the plastic, even weighted down.  My dh is a carpenter, too bad I can't enlist his help, he'd probably come up with something.  He's just too busy.   ::)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 05:32:10 AM »
We tried some plastic pipes, but it didn't work. We couldn't get it to come low enough, and the plastic sheeting would have ripped off in the wind.
We're going to try Vickie's method this week. We thought maybe we could staple the plastic sheeting to the boards.
Kathy

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »
Yes the staple idea is a good one. And you might be able to roll it up next yr to store it. Remember to leave some of the pond uncovered to vent.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
We did boards with plastic hardware cloth for leaf netting. Stapled in place. It's working great! Only thing is he's gonna have to be REAL careful removing the staples or I see leaks in liner!!
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"