Author Topic: How Big Is Your Pond?  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How Big Is Your Pond?
« on: October 01, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
Now that we know how OLD your ponds are, how about how BIG a pond do you have?

For me, it's grown to about 550 gallons - but I'm fixing to enlarge it this winter (yes, again!) to about 700 gallons.  Long and skinny, to fit my tiny townhouse yard... 3'x9'... will go to 3'x15'.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How Big Is Your Pond?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
I designed my backyard with a water feature about 15 years ago.  A little time after that the concrete basin was cracked by an earthquake.  It became a planter for a little while and when I discovered rubber liners it became a water feature again.  This was about 6 or 7 years ago now.  I added 10 feeder fish.  Of the ten only 3 survive today.  The others died due to introductions of new koi and my ignorance.  The corner pond is 500+ gallons and is a 7'x7'x2' pie shape. 

I have a small bog area to one side and a few lilies for now and a fish house for the 5 koi, 4 new wakins, and too many new shubs.  I'm hoping to get a larger DEEP pond built elsewhere in my backyard to house all the lilies I have collected this past year and move all the fish but koi there.  I'm sort of getting over finding Koi I can afford to loose.  No luck with new koi introduced to pond.  Could be bad sources because even after I quarantine them, they die there or in the pond later, taking my older fish with them  :'(

Loving wakins and Shubunkins now.  No problems with these happy fish!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 04:31:51 PM »
On the larger side, my pond is about 10' X 13' X 24"/30" deep. Across the boardwalk is the little one maybe 5' in circumference and knee deep. I just put mini lilies in the little one.  I also have a preform about 5' in circumference in the back yard on the pool patio. There are two fake whiskey half barrels in the front yard and a ceramic pot with a fountain in it on the deck.  Oh and I can't forget the 16' X 32' inground pool. Right now I think the fish would love to get at the algae on the sides and bottom. The water is clear though.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:05:33 PM »
Mine is just a little one, Couple of lillies and a few fish. I love it! Needs a waterfall though.... Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
Yeah right, El Jefe.  You could put a row boat in there, shoot a fishing boat with a trolling motor. I'm waiting to see you out there floating around in raft of some sort, sipping on something cool to drink.

Anyway, I thinks its just absolutely breath taking.  I've always enjoyed looking at your pond.  I love the plants you have around it.  I've went to your website and looked at ALL your pics a couple times.

Kim
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:32:52 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandyd

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
El Jefe,

What a beautiful huge pond.

I could see you on a raft with a cool one.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:06:34 PM »
Last time I got "in" the pond my fish got a little bold.... got a love nip from a Bream or two. My wife thinks it is hillarious!! o(  o( :search: I have to admit I was in the pond far more than I was in my pool this year. here is a couple of Pics..........

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:38:22 AM »
My first pond was a preform of about 90 gal. but not very stisfying so I but in the big pond of 16'x25' with the 3 tier 12' drop total. I havent meetered it but guestamate around 4500 gal. I set the little pond up to the side and just above the big one and my hopes are to conect them with a tiny creek.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »
13,500 gallons.  Approx 29x13ish, mostly 5.5-6.5 deep.  One spot is 4.5 due to a huge rock in the bottom that would not be moved  >:(

Mary
Mary

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 10:12:32 AM »
Hey c'mon..... Pictures pictures pictures!! I wanna see!!! 8-)~

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 12:08:25 AM »
Pond isn't finished... it's been 2 summers now...  ::) :o It will be another try next summer. 

This is a terrible picture as it was right after we first filled the pond and the water was very cloudy, even before the fish went in.

The water cleared some since then  {:-P;;  @O@

Mary
Mary

Offline saycheessee

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/04/2007
    • View Profile
    • Kentucky Reef Society
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »
Ok.. my pond is nothing like some of yours but it is a pond...

The pond is 15 x 20 with a 3 foot waterfall.  I have 5 ton of rock around the pond not counting what's around the edge that we dug out of the old pond and put in the new.  Alot of plants have been added since this picture and alot of growth has happened. Whatcha think?

**Pooppyy happens and Life Goes on**

Ponding is just a way of life!

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
That's beautiful, SayCheesee, and not small at all.  When you get pics of the foliage filled in, post 'em!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
Ok Here is my pond in Feb. Then spring and then my first Lotus.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Don

• Members
  • With us since: 29/09/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »
All nice ponds. Here is my little oasis in the corner, about 400 gallons. Remember I'm not a photographer so squint if you have to.

The first photo is few months after construction and the introduction of fish. The rest are recent.

I think it needs a lily or two.

Offline William Young

• Members
  • With us since: 08/10/2007
    • View Profile
    • Woodworking Friends
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
Here is the little pond I adopted to look after for my two sister-in-laws that recently bought the property with a pond already there. They are even more ancient than me so it looks like I will be the pond keeper and although I have learned quite a bit in the last couple months I still have a lot more to learn. . It is just a small goldfish pond about 8' x 8' . I have a stringy algae problem at present as addressed in my New To This Site  message.
How do I calculate the number of gallons  (or preferably liters for here in Canada) in case I need some addatives and need to go by instructions on how much to use.
It is only about 20 inches deep in the center and tapers out to the top edge all around.

W.Y.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:53 PM »
William or is it Bill? Don't apologize for your pond. We have ponds everywhere from a pot on a deck to a huge natural bottom lake. Not me, I mean the members here. Mine isn't all that big either. I wanted it to be small enough for me to handle by myself and that is what I got. Agree you may want some more surface plants.

Calculation in feet = gallons. Don't know liters. Sorry. To get an approximate on an oval with a rounded bottom, take the length X width X depth X 7.5 gives you the gallons. For mine, it's 10 X 13 X 2.5 X 7.5=some over 2000 gallons maybe. I have plant ledges and it's deeper on one end than the other, so it messes up the calculations.

Do a google on pond calculation in liters.    Here's what I got.  http://www.google.com/search?q=pond+calculation+in+liters
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:50:48 PM by Esther »

Offline William Young

• Members
  • With us since: 08/10/2007
    • View Profile
    • Woodworking Friends
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »
Esther.
Bill or William or W.Y  is just  fine.
I have been called worse   :D
Thanks for the gallons/liters  link. I will look it up.
W.Y.

EDIT.
I just checked and 8 x 8 x average of 1.5 deep is 598 Imperial  (Canadian gallons ) which relates to 2,718.2 liters.

That should give me a pretty good idea idea of volume for any type of treating.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:50:15 PM by William Young »

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 05:35:29 PM »
 @O@ I love pictures  @O@ Nice ponds every one! Debbie I love what you have done with yours Andy 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 05:38:57 PM »
Thanks Andy,  :hug:  I'm working on it. It is about the only thing now that I realy do. I'm soo way glad I have it cuz it's good therapy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:02:33 PM by happyoutsidegirl »
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 05:58:29 PM »
I'm pulling the potted lilies from my pond because my koi don't touch them, NOT>:(-

Trying to clean up/ set up before the Sunbird flies West.

Here's my Pond du Jour....

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »
Lots of good looking ponds there folks.  Y'all should be proud.   

Annette: Is that duck-weed in the bowl?

Our pond is roughly 20' long by 10' wide (2300 gallons).  It has a mini stream on the other side of the bridge and a short waterfall. 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 07:14:02 PM »
Missed seeing your pond Mike.  Very nice as is everyone elses "big" ponds  :o

The green pot in my pond photo is home to a Blue Beauty Trop that the koi have learned to dig out the large pebbles and the lily root  >:(-
So I pulled it out of the pond last weekend and threw some fairy moss from the lily ponds to keep the water cooler in our high temps.  I guess it has exploded and now my DH has been scooping some out for the fishies to eat.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
Great looking ponds everyone!Big or small it doesen't matter. It has to be what we can live with and afford.
Very nice Mikey, I think this is the first time I'v seen your pond.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »
Very nice Mikey, I think this is the first time I'v seen your pond.
I try not to show it too much.  I figure some Herons might be reviewing these pond forums looking for places to dine....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 07:25:52 AM »
Actually, I'm surprised at the number of people with small ponds.

I had been embarassed admitting to my 550gallon pond, but there are many folks here with ponds about the same size, or even smaller.

The big ones are nice - mighty nice.  Some day.....

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( Who says my pond is small?  >:( {nono} >:(-

Funny! :D

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »
Wow, very nice ponds everyone, I love looking at others ponds and getting ideas.  I have 3, the small one is 8'x3'x18", the main pond is oddly shaped but at the most 24'x12'x deepest 30", the new lily pond is about 16'x13'x at the deepest 33" and has about a 12'channel to make it look connected to the main pond(may have fish also next year) 

Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 08:47:40 AM »
 @O@Wow Marla, that's the first shots I'v seen of the finished new addition. It looks wonderful!!!! And you were so worried about it while doing it. It all looks so good.  O0 :hug:
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 10:47:29 AM »
Such gorgeous ponds, big and small!!

Here was mine a few months ago (pardon the canopy, we were having a party):

And looking down from the deck.  A couple of weeks ago I did my best to dig out that huge quince bush you see on the lower right corner, and extended the pond a foot in that direction.  The darn bush is too big to dig out, if I could just kill it I'll plant something else there.

Early summer, just picture it a bit bigger now (one of my goldfish turned out to be a Koi, now I'm frantic to make the pond big enough)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"