Author Topic: Great Forum!  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Don

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/09/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Great Forum!
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:22:14 AM »
Just wanted to say Howdy from Texas and add that this appears to be a very knowledgeable forum you folks have going here.  O0 I stumbled on this site looking for some DIY ideas on a new skimmer and pond vacuum. My pond really needs a good cleaning right now.

Dug the hole in the backyard 4 years ago and still haven’t stopped learning about its nuances. It is a small pond approximately 400 gallons, with a Skippy type bio filter and a Pondmaster mag-drive 700 gph submersible pump. It has 6 goldfish, and dozens of mosquito fish that seem to reproduce almost daily. Doesn’t have near the number or variety of plants I would like with only Pennywort, some type of arrowhead looking plant, and cattails. Like most ponders, now that it is stable and I can keep the water clear enough to see the fish, I wish it were bigger. It’s all Time, $$$, Time, $$$.

I have also helped a neighbor design and build his 1,000 gallon pond, and help maintain a pond at my daughter’s intermediate school.

I don’t have any questions at the moment unless someone can improve on the pond/silt vacuum designs I found here;

Floyd’s Pond vacuum. 

Silt Vacuum.

I think I’m going to start with the Silt vacuum since I don’t have a barrel for the pond vacuum design. I have tried a couple of the venturi type vacuums which work for leaves and other debris, but the silt is so fine it flows right through the debris bag. They also do not have enough lift to discharge the water out of the pond.

I have used my shop-vac in the past, but having to stop and empty it every minute or so is way to frustrating.

Happy trails, err ponding.
Don

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Great Forum!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:32:35 AM »
Welcome Don!  We almost chatted with you last evening!  Hope we didn't scare you off but I had some major computer issues that Andy was helping me correct. 

Glad you found a new home here!

Offline Don

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »
Welcome Don!  We almost chatted with you last evening!  Hope we didn't scare you off but I had some major computer issues that Andy was helping me correct. 

Glad you found a new home here!

Thanks miguynmkoi, I was tired last night when I raided the party. Didn't know what to expect, but didn't expect that many different conversations going on at the same time. Hope it didn't seem like I was eavesdropping, just learning the ropes.  :redface: :)

Don

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »
Hey Don good to have you onboard! I know you will love it here as much as we do. Good to see you jumping right in!!
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »
Welcome, Don.

I will give a wave when I visit DFW for the FABULOUS State Fair later this month.  This year, I'm taking an extra day to explore that sculpture garden downtown, and the Arboretum.

See you around.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
For Ponder it's an open Chat Room.  I'm sure any topic is mixed in with others.  It was confusing to me in the beginning but now.....I've got a color system going to keep the directions flowing a bit better.  Hope to Chat with you soon  8)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Welcome and whoohoooo another chatter.. I love live chat.

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »
Yup, Hi Don. I was there too. We had 5 people for a while. No wonder Don was confused by it. I told him it was like having different conversations with 4 different people at the same time.

I didn't look at your links for your pond cleaner. But I have a spa cleaner that attaches to a garden hose that came with a silt bag that didn't work too well. So I took two knee hi nylons and slid one inside the other. I put a hollow plastic ball inside the toe so it floats up and used it instead of the silt bag. If they get a hole, .59 buys a new pair.

Offline mcp

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 06:57:36 AM »
Hi Don,
           Welcome to to board. Hope to see pictures of your pond. Maybe will catch you in chat some time.   :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 07:59:42 AM »
Don,

I have some really good tips for you:
First, go to my website  http://www.gardenendeavors.com/  .  Wait till you hear the dogs "sing", then click on the dogs pictures to enter..then look down the page for "Useful links". Follow the one to "Chuck Rush's Pond Rushes".  you will LOVE his site! (BTW, don't forget to go back and explore my site as well.)

Then you should visit  http://www.southtexaswgc.org/  and also  http://www.ntwgs.org/ .  Both will have loads of info you can use.

Then come back here and spend hours and hours with all the wonderful folks you will find here.

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Thanks El Jefe, I actually know what that means  ;D, seems fitting for a Senior Chief.

I will give a wave when I visit DFW for the FABULOUS State Fair later this month.  This year, I'm taking an extra day to explore that sculpture garden downtown, and the Arboretum.

Julles, Ole Big Tex is already presiding over the State Fair, don’t forget to have a corn dog. By the sculpture garden I assume you mean the Botanic Gardens? Haven’t been there in awhile but well worth the time. Have not been to the Dallas Arboretum but is on my long list of things to do.

So I took two knee hi nylons and slid one inside the other. I put a hollow plastic ball inside the toe so it floats up and used it instead of the silt bag.

Thanks Esther, I have already stolen the toilet scrubber from the bathroom (works great!), I’m sure the wife has an old pair of nylons around somewhere…

Mcp, Tinkster,
I’ll work on some photos, but I must warn you, I am NOT a good picture taker.  :redface:

I’m sure I’ll try the live chat again, I don’t give up to easily.

I have some really good tips for you:

Thanks Johns, Some of those I have seen, some not. Will have to spend some time exploring, especially yours.  :)

Don

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 09:11:57 AM »
Our members are the BEST! O0 O0 O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 01:47:05 PM »
I forgot to mention that you will have to attach the nylon silt bag with a string or rubber band it to your vac.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 07:15:52 PM »
Hay Don, Welcome!!! I love chatting too but it seems all the good stuff gets going when I have to get to bed. I have to get up at 4 am for work so I'm not good at staying up.  :D We love pictures o(:-)
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 09:31:50 AM »
Happy,
Yes I too fall into the same category, It gets to be 10:00PM and my biological clock says time to shut down, or is that just me getting old?

Don

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
Hay Don, 44 is young go back and look at my age! I'm in bed at 8pm on work nights lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 03:41:59 PM »
Hay Don, 44 is young go back and look at my age! I'm in bed at 8pm on work nights lol

I don't know what the definition of old is, the older I get the older old gets pushed out. I still feel the same as when I was 20.

Although my 15 year old who knows all seems to think I am well past my prime.  {:-P;;

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 05:54:37 PM »
 lol Thats to funny Don, 12 years ago my then 15 year old thought I knew nothing too. Today she turned 37 and clames to know nothing? :D But she has a 4 year old that has gone threw a double transplant at 20 months old and I would say she knowes a he*~ of a lot more than me.There is hope for our futher! I hope!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline dapperponds

• Members
  • With us since: 03/10/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »
Hey Don, I am im Mesquite .  Where abouts are you at.  I used to be construction foreman with a Water Garden Install company based in Plano. At one time we were Aquascapes 15th largest customer.  We had to shut it down due to some family issues . I still have a pond cleaning service that i operate on the weekends.

Hello everyone else, this is my first activity in here.  Thanks for having me.

David.

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »
  Hey Esther, thanks for the panty hose hint! I was about to throw out the hose/vac when the net and string rotted.
  About the chatting..... I like to come in and "listen", because my typing is so slow.
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »
Hello David, Welcome and tell us about your pond.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 11:08:08 AM »
lol Thats to funny Don, 12 years ago my then 15 year old thought I knew nothing too. Today she turned 37 and clames to know nothing? :D But she has a 4 year old that has gone threw a double transplant at 20 months old and I would say she knowes a he*~ of a lot more than me.There is hope for our futher! I hope!

Sorry to hear about your grandchild at such a young age. If he is 4 years old now he must doing much better? I feel very fortunate and thankful that my 3 children are all healthy.

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »
Hey Don, I am im Mesquite .  Where abouts are you at....I still have a pond cleaning service that i operate on the weekends.

Hello David,
Welcome, I am new here too. I am in Keller. Sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge with all that pond experience you have.

Don

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »

Sorry to hear about your grandchild at such a young age. If he is 4 years old now he must doing much better? I feel very fortunate and thankful that my 3 children are all healthy.

She is doing great! She will have her 3rd yr. post opp. ann. on New Years Eve. It brang a whole new meang to new years for us.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 04:09:54 PM »
Don is DFW, Dallas/Fort Worth?

We like to have people put their location or zone on their profile so when they ask questions we can do a better job of answering them depending on where they're at. That sounded like great grammar, didn't it?

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 06:36:15 PM »

We like to have people put their location or zone on their profile so when they ask questions we can do a better job of answering them depending on where they're at. That sounded like great grammar, didn't it?

Esther,
Yes it is Dallas/Fort Worth, as best I can tell on the maps downloaded from the web we are on the border between zone 7 and zone 6. Probably more zone 7 for most of the temps we receive. I'll update my profile. You wouldn't believe how much I scrutinize my own writing. I have a tendency to use to many adjectives and adverbs, throw in the Texas slang and I'm a lost cause.  ;D

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 03:34:55 AM »
Welcome Don.

Joann

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 04:39:34 AM »

lol Esther Ya done just great! lol I understand it just fine cuz I can't spell or typ well!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 06:38:15 AM »
Yah, I do realize different people have different strengths when it comes to spelling and grammar. I have always found words interesting and usually know when I'm misspelling something or am just not sure. So then I use spell check. I also reread my writings and will correct them when I find something wrong.

I like to find errors in articles, books or on billboards at stores in town. My DH thinks I'm crazy to take joy in discovering the spelling errors. He says I should have been an editor.

Offline Don

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:01 AM »
Esther,
What source do you use to determine the hardiness zone of your location? USDA? I find different maps from different sources that show the Dallas/Fort Worth area to be in either zone 7 or zone 8.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"