Author Topic: The Parrot Feather Divide....Got Red Stem PF from bonnie!  (Read 5450 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The Parrot Feather Divide....Got Red Stem PF from bonnie!
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »
I received a generous amount of Parrot feathers from Kat in August, now it has grown kcrazzzeeee.  It's just sitting in a tub, no dirt and roots every where.  It needs a trim for the winter.   Normally Parrot feather sits in the pond all winter long in our climate.

Should I just make cut about 12" long and tie the ends together in a bunch and sink it? 

I'd like to make more bunches for trade or spread around all the ponds by spring.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:27:52 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Parrot Feather Divide
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:18:11 PM »
Yep, You can cut it off at any length and it will root and grow..
PF is one of my favorite pond plants, especially Red Stemmed PF!

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
I agree with Bonnie on this one.

Paul   :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:01:03 PM »
Kewl, well have a good place to get some next year.   @O@ 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »
Oh me me! I would love to get some in the spring. I must have something you would like to trade for?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 08:18:33 AM »
Thanks Everyone!  Red stem sounds very interesting, Bonnie.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one.

If the cuttings make it through the winter I should have lots to send to new homes.  I'll keep you all posted!

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »
Thanks Everyone!  Red stem sounds very interesting, Bonnie.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one.

If the cuttings make it through the winter I should have lots to send to new homes.  I'll keep you all posted!

It's smaller and doesn't spread quite as much as regular, plus has red stems of course.   I like both..

I don't have much extra but would be glad to send you a start of it for postage,
I could also throw in some Violet Stem and /or Imperial Taro, Asian Water Grass and Umbrella Palm if you are interested.... 

Just let me know.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »
The red stem would add a new color to my pond.  I'm thrilled!  I'll PM you.

Thank you for your generosity.  o(:-)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:31:59 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
The red stem would add a new color to my pond.  I'm thrilled!  I'll PM you.

Thank you for your generosity.  o(:-)

You're very welcome just remember that it will be a small start but as you know it will groooow!  Just giving a piece of love back to someone, LeeAnne sent this to me this summer! o(:-)

PM back at ya, let me know if you want the others.. I suggest to try the asian water grass, it's neat!

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
Yuppers,... just trim to what ever length-- it will grown back from cuttings.

I threw away 4 garbage bags full a couple months back from a pond I cleaned. STUFF WAS ALL OVER !!! You don't even want to know how many watercannas, and pickeral went out ! Shesh !! there was another 4-5 garbage bags.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
Sheesh you got me to thinking.. :thinking:.. I may well give this a try, I almost did this earlier this year. But now that I know the red is slightly less invasive  :thinking: I may have to give it a try.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 06:21:48 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »
Carlos you got me thinking...

Is the parrot feather plant poisonous or do you think my turtles can or will eat it.  I cannot toss out plants.  It would probably hurt me more than the plant  :D

Thanks for the nice reference photos Andy.  Now I have to have some red parrot feathers.  :)  Look what you started!  ;D

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
I divided my parrot feather a few months ago:
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 07:10:44 AM »
   I had a clutch of map and red eared sliders hatch out near the front pond.  I was called over to come and round em up.  I built a little " turtle zone" in the holding pond in the back.  I put in there some parrot feather and water hyacinth....blue pickeral.  They picked at the parrot feather all day.  Loved chomping it and the small snails that called it home.  The did fine.   I'll have some pics for you later tonight;)
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 07:58:54 AM »
 lol lol lol That is hillarious  lol lol lol

Parrot feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum)
Parrot feather is an herbaceous aquatic plant that grows to a length of 6.5 to 16 feet. Its stems are greenish blue with numerous small leaves that resemble feathers. Emergent stems are bright green in color and can reach up to a foot above the water surface. Parrot feather provides ideal mosquito larvae habitat and shades out algae that serve as the basis for the aquatic food chain. Infestations can also hinder water movement in lakes, ponds and streams. It has naturalized throughout southern states and northward as far as Idaho, Washington and New York. It grows best in still waters such as lakes, ponds, quiet streams and drainage ditches, but is able to survive in rivers. Vegetative reproduction is the only dispersal agent because female plants are not found in the United States. (I found that last little bit particularly interesting)

After searching through the internet I have not found anything that says it is poisonus to animals, doesn't mean it is it is not just means it does not appear to be.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »
 lol lol lol Funnnneeee!  Blind 'Too you've got it right!  Proves you need the right kind of Parrot Feathers to divide.  No wonder I couldn't get it!

lol Mine aren't Parrot Feathers!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »
Carlos that's good to know.  I'm sure my turtles would eat all I have that grows in the ponds.  I find that my pets who've never been on their own would eat anything and everything, good or bad for them.  I would have to figure out what made them sick or dead.  Definitely no fun for them or me.

female plants are not found in the United States
Until I got this batch of Parrot Feathers from Kat, the store bought kind I had must have been all male  ;D  Maybe ponders in other countries would like to swap.......

Parrot feather provides ideal mosquito larvae habitat
No wonder the feeder fish I have in this particular lily pond are way bigger than the other ponds without PF!  Thanks Andy, that's interesting stuff to know!

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »
The more I read the more unsure I am about introducing it into my pond. Still I think the red stemmed is outstanding! just afraid it will be to aggressive. I found the red version in two of the places that I trust when buying plants and it wasn't real expensive. If you want to purchase soem  I will post the link.
Andy

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »
Hey Andy,  I would be a bit wary about putting parrot feather in your natural bottom pond.  Mine are free of dirt in a lined pond.  The ones I bought from the pond stores nearby never made a big hit growing wise, but the single thick branch that Kat gave grew like crazy.  In fact my store bought ones never stood out of the water as well as Kat's either.

Bonnie is sending some red stem PF, I can't wait to see them.  It will be a nice addition.

I'd still like to see the link and check out what else they have.  Thanks!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 09:00:59 AM »
Now that I have peed my pants and wipped the tears from my eyes, Thank you Blind too I needed a good laugh. I can't have the reg. parrots feather here(except Blind Too's kind) but I can have the Red Stem. It is not illeagel here. Sooooo if any one would like to put me on there spring devide list I would be soooo happy. I will pay you or trad you????  o(:-)
Andy, it is illeagel here for that reason. It takes over intier lakes. We have the Millfoil problem in our lakes and I think they are very simmalur.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »
No prob, Debbie, always happy to make people cry and pee their pants!  uh...is that a bad thing?   lol

Annette...just and FYI....cockatiels are parrots, they are classified as the Cacatuidae family, and are the only parrots that use their feathers to cover their beak (a sign of contentment/at ease status).  So, yes...you actually posted a picture of parrot feathers!

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread with the other kind of parrot feathers.  I do have parrot feather in my pond and it's been doing well.  I bought some more than a year ago and it hasn't taken over, but it does stick around over winter here.  I had some of the red stem and it didn't last...not sure why. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:16:52 AM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »
Funny you guys. I like this kind of thread. It's like being in a group of people having a conversation. I don't think there is anything wrong with changing the subject or hijacking a thread at all. We can always bring it back to the original subject if we want to.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 11:55:17 AM »
Funny you guys. I like this kind of thread. It's like being in a group of people having a conversation. I don't think there is anything wrong with changing the subject or hijacking a thread at all. We can always bring it back to the original subject if we want to.

Yep.. we had a History teacher who was very easy to get OT and we loved his class! :)

Personally I would grow PF in a mud pond if I had one.. as we know this is no biggie to pull out  but that's personal opinion I guess..
Now if it was something such as a Lotus that would be a whole different story unless you were wanting a lotus pond but we know once you plant them freely in a pond, you'll never be free of them again without alot of hassle.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 11:56:35 AM »
Sheesh I wished mine would grow like that. Mine all died.  :'( I have one very nekkid strand left.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 12:25:04 PM »

Thanks...that's what I've always felt this should be... like a bunch of people talking.  I've been on forums where people are very passionate about staying "on topic" and guess why I'm not there anymore?  I suffer from ADSA disorder (Adult Distraction Smart Ass).   I'm kinda like you are, Esther....if whatever I post elicits a reply and an ensuing conversation, regardless of the subject...I'm happy.

That said, here's the kind of lotus pond I'd have:

ups....did it again, didn't I? {nono}

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Now that's my kind of lotus ;D

Sometimes while talking with someone I will have a specific thought in mind but I first give some background information for my main thought.  Then when I finish with laying the groundwork for my main thought I find I can't remember what my main thought was.... lol   I sometimes think I the phrase "Lost my train of thought" was made just for me.... 

When I loose my train of thought and say, "Darn, I just lost my train of thought.", the fetching Mrs. Mikey is quick to respond, "I'm sorry honey, but I don't think your train ever left the station." ::)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »
BToo. That is every man's dream pond I think.

And Mikey, you must be getting old. I'm still trying to bring a word out of my dictionary since last night. Now I can't remember what I was saying and needed the word for. LOL It just bugs the daylights out of me when that happens.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »
My memory is so bad that even when I make a quick note on a Post-It I will later see the note and because it is often just a single word to remind me of something I sometimes still can't remember what the note means.....or what it was to remind me of......  Right now I'm looking at a Post-It stuck to my monitor and it reads, "turtle".  I have no idea why I wrote that note.  I will likely toss the note in a few days and then a week or so later I will remember what that note was for..... ::) :doh:
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »
I always take important items and put them in an important spot so I won't lose them. 

but now I've forgotten where that important spot is and I can't find anything. ;D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »
That said, here's the kind of lotus pond I'd have:

Thanks Blind'Too!  Finally something my husband would agree on Ponders with you although he would prefer a yell lotus  ;D  AND I'm glad you threw in your parrot feathers.  I've been sharing this particular post with non ponders who KNOW me.

When we have fun on this forum it leaves a lasting good mood on me for a long while....just part of my obsession with Ponders!  :hug:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"