Author Topic: external hard drive problems  (Read 2326 times)

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
external hard drive problems
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »
i have a lacie usb external hard drive . i went to back up some program files and my pictures to free up some space on my local hard drive . everything transferred over to the external drive so i went and deleted some program files like photoshop and other picture editing software  and my pic. well now i cant use my editing software it wont open . anybody know what might be wrong

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: external hard drive problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:06:28 AM »
Sounds like you deleted the program.  Just re-install or download it again.

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »
ok one other question can you even put the photo eediting software on the external hd and thn take them off your local hd and the program still work or is the external hd just for backing up pics and music ???

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »
Any programs have to be installed on your computer to work...... files such as pix are different because they require a program to open them.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »
Your external hard drive is just for storage. Period. 

Like Bonnie said.  I don't know all the ins and outs but I know what I can or cannot do with computers and the external hard drives.  Very important to backup all your important and valuable files from your computer's hard drive to an external hard drive.  I learned that lesson the $$$ way.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
Mechanical devices can and do fail, put photos that you want to keep on CD or DVD and another drive.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
joejpe123,
I am guessing that your lacie is a real hard drive, not a thumb drive.
If so you can run programs from it just like any other logical drive on your computer.
The caveat is that is must be installed to that drive, not just moved over as a file.
In addition, lets say you install photoshop on lacie and it is drive G: for example.
It will work on your computer that you installed it form but if you unplug it and move to a separate computer and try to run it, it will not work as there are registry entries that are on the main source drive... ie. usually C:
You cannot run it from computer to computer unless you reinstall on each so that all of the filters, registry entries, scratch disks etc. are in place.
We won't even discuss the licensing issues this causes you from Adobe.

If it is a thumb drive then that is another matter. Some open source software is available for thumb drives and some drives such as the U3 variety can run some software.
So far though, there is no legal way to run Photoshop from a thumb drive.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"