Author Topic: Once again in SoCal it's snowing....UPDATED  (Read 2340 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Once again in SoCal it's snowing....UPDATED
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »
ASHES!!!

Fire infernos are all around in many canyon and mountain areas in Southern California.  Last night near my home in Irvine, a selfish idiot arsonist  >:(- started a fire that has taken over 15,000 acres (see updates) of extremely dry grounds and moving south to Lake Forest.  The air is thick and smoky and ashy smelling.  The sky is very hazy and the sun is aerie looking.  The unpredictable "Santa Ana winds" are whipping hot ambers into the air in every direction and carrying them to start more fires in other dry areas nearby. 

I pray no one gets hurt and the brave firefighters who are so bravely protecting us continue safely in this fire storm.  To our friends in other areas in harms way please be safe.  In the meantime things of importance are gathered in the house and ready to go at moments notice should we have evacuation orders.  All the pets will be collected at last moment.  I'm watching the TV and computer hoping and praying that the wind disappears and the fires stops.

The impossible?  Rain for the driest winter in the recorded history of SoCal.  The wind is really kicking up now and things are getting blown around outside.

We are ok for now but I'm just a worry-wort...make that a prepared worry-wart.  Had to vent.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:02:54 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Once again in SoCal it's snowing....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
Be safe!  I have many memories of Calif. fires!  I left when I was 10.  I remember one year my mom told us that when we saw the fire at the top of the hill behind our house we would have to evacuate - and then she left for work!
Tammie

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:52:53 PM »
250,000 under evacuation orders in San Diego. Prepared is a good thing!

Losing one's home like that has to be among the worst thing that can befall someone - and the fact that the Orange County fire was arson, well . . . . . .we do have the death penalty should anyone die.
Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
It's sad...  They just notified us that they evacuated our building where my co-workers are, and many of my friends have been evacuated from their homes for a while now.

I moved up here where I am now at the tail end of the Firestorm in 2003, and it was scary.  They've evacuated over 250,000 now in North San Diego County.

For those who live elsewhere and haven't been through this, here are some pics from the fire I went through in 2003

Early in the morning, I noticed it was dark so I looked out side and saw this:

The fire was about 40 miles away and we didn't think we'd have anything to worry about.

Just how heavy are the ashes from this?  This was my car when the fire was still more than 25 miles away:

It was travelling fast and jumping freeways, burning entire neighborhoods.

By late that afternoon, this was the end of my street:

I started packing some things, because it was getting way too close.

The fire was only a mile from my home at that point,

and we were surrounded by fires on three sides of us, so there really wasn't anywhere to go.

To put it in perspective, the Cedar Fire in Oct 2003 was the largest, most destructive fire in California history.  That was after a few days of burning.

These fires they have down in San Diego now are said to have already surpassed the Cedar Fire, and the high winds have made it as bad as it is.

So far, there aren't any real concerns where I am, but my heart goes out to everyone affected by this.  I know the news doesn't get out very far, four years ago my brother-in-law called from the east coast and said he heard on the news that we had some brush fires out here.  That's like calling a humpback whale a guppy. 

It really saddens me...I have so many friends that I want to call but I know they have more important things to do.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »
Blind'Too, your photos are pretty much what it looks like here now.

I remember the 2003 Cedar fire and that was horrendous.  We felt the destruction of that fire here in Orange County.  It was like a futuristic scene of devastation with large flakes of white then black ashes flying through on the tail of the Santa Ana winds.  Later we were flying out of LAX and the pilot purposely tipped the plane around the smoke so everyone could see the flames whipping around the mountain ridges. 

That was one trip that left a very scary feeling that there was a small possibility we would never see our home again.  At that time the fire was also in San Diego very close to family members there who actually had to do mandatory evacuation of their homes.  Thankfully their homes escaped devastation. 

The fire is only about 8 miles away from our home now.  We can see the color of the fire against the hazy sky over the mountain foothills.  The pilots manning the helicopters dropping water are doing a fantastic job targeting the fire areas and saving homes.  We are asked to stay inside with the windows and doors closed to keep as much of the smoke out.

Only 3 more hours before, hopefully, the wind dies down for the night.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »
I've been thinking of you guys down there.  Good luck to all of you! You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »
I just saw this on the news tonight.. nasty stuff. :(

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »
My family will pray for all those in danger and in need.
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31:04 AM »
With fingers crossed it seems the fires in OC are burning towards the mountain.  The ocean breezes are pushing the winds towards the mountains too.  Lots of nervous folks feeling better in this area.  My neighborhood included  :)  Looks like clean up time outside unless the winds shift.

Hopefully the winds will die off tonight and tomorrow morning and the rest of SoCal will cool off the fires.  It's amazing the casualty count is one person in all of SoCal during these fires.  Many homes lost especially in San Diego County.

The firefighters are doing a valiant job with what little resource is available and very little sleep for the past 3 days.  They really are our heroes.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »
It's hard to hear of such stress and I hope the winds die down so the fire fighters have a chance to get a handle on the fire. My thoughts are with you.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »
Those pictures are amazing and terrifying all at once.
Stay safe everyone. 
Kathy

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »
"About 600 firefighters waging a fierce battle against the nearly 20,000-acre Santiago Canyon fire, which damaged or destroyed 17 homes" so far. 

Still too close but fortunately the winds or calm and the big planes and helicopters are dump water and retardants.

Last night we did our first Looky Loo, yes I'm ashame of myself.  but I stayed far away and hung with other LL's on a hill between our area and the fire in Portola Hills and Trabuco Canyon.  Lots of smoke and ash for sure.  Scary and sad.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
Re: Once again in SoCal it's snowing....UPDATED
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
scary stuff.  and to think this one was arson...they should treat arsonists like terrorists, essentially the same thing.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 03:20:17 PM »
This came out this morning:
 "California authorities and FBI agents searched a home Wednesday as part of an arson investigation into one of the wildfires devastating Southern California.

The search was conducted in Orange County by the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the FBI, the official said. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing, would not say what was taken."  I say hang 'em by their @#$%!!!

Watch Out for all the scammers coming out of the woodwork now!

On a good note:  The Nissan dealership in Irvine where my DH bought his car is offering to wash the car and clean out the engine area of all the ash and soot which could damage your car.  That left me with an "awww" feeling  :)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »
That's an awsome photo. Very scary indeed.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »
I'm happy to say we are out of the thick.  Gratitude galore for the firefighters who gave our lives back to us.  :hug:

Praying San Diego gets out of the thick real soon.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »
Our friend lives up in Green Valley Lake, between Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear, and she told us that her house survived the fires.  She's not allowed back in yet.  She was told the wind-driven flames moved through so fast that because her home was on a steep downward slope and the flames came over the steep hill behind her that they apparently leap-frogged over the pines around her property and then continued devouring forest beyond her property.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
The Arrowhead Valley area including Green Valley and Snow Valley fire area is so volatile and unpredictable.  Too many people have lost their homes in the mountains.  It's going to be quite a hell like environment when everything settles down after the fires.

Update in our area from OC Register:  Homes now threatened in Silverado Canyon ... - 2:20 p.m.

The Santiago fire is again sweeping toward Silverado Canyon, and fire officials warned that it could be within minutes of coming over the ridgelines there. Orange County Sheriff's deputies were going through the canyon to evacuate any remaining holdouts.

The fire had been bulling its way through the isolated wilderness of the Cleveland National Forest, and fire officials said earlier in the day that it no longer appeared to pose an immediate threat to homes. But now, it was once again on the move to the north, and once again menacing Silverado Canyon.

A strike team of nearly 200 firefighters was in the canyon, their only orders to protect the homes there. The fire appeared to be threatening the back end of the canyon, where there are at least 100 homes.

I'm watching our area through the news helicopter http://www.knbc.com/videostream/10954229/detail.html  It's so cool watching the planes drop the retardant liquid on the mountain ridges.

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 07:12:20 PM »
  My DH's Uncle Art unfortunately lost his beautiful 4 Bdrm home at Lake Arrowhood.
  He was luckily, insured!
  Many people in the canyons can't get fire insurance cause the fires rip through those canyons like crazy!
  My BIL and wife and my MIL are in the Lake Forrest area. Still safe as far as I know!
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 08:58:50 AM »
How tragic for those to lose their homes!  Those are awesome pics, though.  I hope the fires die down soon.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »
One would think that with today's technologies and knowledge of wildfire behavior that we would be able to construct homes in wildfire areas that are fire resistant.  I recall seeing a home from the 2003 fires that the homeowner built to resist fires.  I don't know the details of what he did but I do recall he had no exposed wood and his eaves were all enclosed.  Every home around his burned to the ground leaving his home the only one standing.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 01:37:56 PM »
You are right Mike, I believe there was a house like that during the fire in Laguna Beach many years ago too (no promises - memory hick-ups).  I think if I lived in a remote area surrounded by mountains or hills and forest I'd definitely build a house that can withstand fire better.  It may become an oven and things inside get incinerated but at least the building, which is the most expensive thing to recoup, will be standing.

But yeah anyone out there in an area with free rein to rebuild I definitely would go with nonburnable materials as best as I could.  In my suburb neighborhood I know I'd have to follow HOA - Home Owners Association - rule to rebuild exactly the way it was before  >:(  It took a lot of effort after the Laguna fire for us to be able to change our old wood shake roof to a metal roof.

I'm sorry there had to be so much devastation start by idiot(s).  This was a really rough week for everyone involved and hopefully the devastation will end soon.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
I imagine you are still getting smoke and ash but I'm far enough away that we are no long getting either smoke or ash. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"