Author Topic: the pond is ready for winter sleeping  (Read 713 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
the pond is ready for winter sleeping
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »
My ponding season has just about come to an end for this year.  First, I want to thank everyone who helped me out with my questions this summer.  I have learned so much in just one season and it helped me make a nicer pond area and a better environment for my fish.  I'll be sending you some pictures of my little pond soon.  I just finished clearing out the dead leaves and all the plants in the flower beds this weekend.  All the marginal plants have been cut back, as well as the lilies, and everything is settled to the bottom of the pond.  I have a piece of sheeting laying over a corner of the pond so the fish have a sheltered, protected area for them to hide under since all the surface growing plants are gone now.  They are all huddled on the bottom and getting ready for the big freeze.  I noticed a bit of ice in the kitties water dish the other morning so I know it is time to pull my pump and put it to bed now too.  I shut down the landscaping lights.  As soon as the leaves are done falling I will put the de-icing ring in and take the leaf net off.  If I have forgotten anything, I hope someone lets me know.  I am sure there are many of you that have just gone through this whole process, same as I.  What now?  Is it time to just sit back, chat to each other, discuss the holidays, talk about our spring pond plans and hope the groundhog doesn't see his shadown on February 2 so we can get back into ponding early in 2008?  Whatever the plans, it's certainly been nice talking to you all and I'll continue to be here through the long winter days and nights.     Jax     o(
Jax

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: the pond is ready for winter sleeping
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:16:32 PM »
I'll count on seeing you around, jump in and Chat too!  ;)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: the pond is ready for winter sleeping
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:42:58 AM »
Sounds like youve covered it all! And your way ahead of me. A friend lent me a wet suit to go out and get in there without freezing my you know what off but I have yet to try it on. I also just got a book from Cabella's and they have the waist waders on sale of $39.00. I think I should get them? That way spring and fall wont be so darn cold for me to get in there.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"