Author Topic: Yucatan update  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Yucatan update
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:41:48 AM »
Hi all,

I'm still stopping by and trying to read and catch up.  I've got some pics to share.  First, a dragonfly that we saw on our way down. We were up in the highlands and there are a lot of lakes in the area.  I snapped the pic to share here but then forgot I had it.

In the same area, these flowers were growing wild everywhere.  They look kind of familiar but I don't know what they are.

We've been in Mérida for about a month, we were over on the coast before that.  Things are moving with the house but slowly.  We have final enough plans that we've submitted them for a building permit.  It's a historical district so we need several permits, we're hoping those will be done by next week and demolition can start.  The rainy season happened while we were gone and the yard is so overgrown we can't get into it.  Also, the roof leaks in the kitchen and water came in the front door.  I told you it was a ruin, well, it has not improved any.  It was scary walking in with the floors wet, the smell of mold and a bazillion mosquitoes breeding in there.  I have to keep reminding myself that we're adding a floor so the roof is going anyway, the front will be sloped out and the stoop built up, the mosquitoes will get killed and my pond will take care of any new ones.  Ponds are a great mosquito abatement project I discovered, they are so attractive to the females that they prefer to lay their eggs there and the fish eat them. 

I'm spending most of my time pricing stuff like appliances and getting the dimensions so the kitchen and laundry room plans can get finalized.  Also deciding on things like tiles and doors.  I'm really excited about one feature of the plans that has a long, narrow pond inside in the hallway.  The hall of the house runs the whole depth of the house and is very wide, about 8', and one length of about 15' will have this indoor water feature that is open up 2 stories to the sky.  It's mainly to let light in but I immediately saw it as a pond that I could have tropical fish in.  In the architects design, there were stone spitters along the wall that dribbled water into it.  I am thinking that if I had stone planters along there that overflowed into it then they would work like a bog filter and I could keep the water clear and the fish healthy.  What do you think?  It will be 15 or so feet long and only about 2' wide.  I have visions of schools of brightly colored small tropical fish living in it.

We've added another dog to our menagerie, when we arrived at the RV park here there was a starving doberman puppy running around.  She had some health problems and has spent about 2 weeks so far at the vet but she is doing really well now and we've named her Cuba.   The vet thinks she is 6 to 7 months old.  She's got these enormously long legs, I feed her 3 times what our other dogs eat and it seems to just disappear in her.    She doesn't have worms or parasites so I guess it is all going into puppy energy and growth.  She's still really skinny but she has a ton of energy now and she is very sweet.

Oh, and this guy lives behind us in one of the sewer drains  {nono}  He's a Yucatan Spiny Tailed Iguana and when I looked him up it said they do not make good pets because they are aggressive and mad all the time!  I'd say he's mad because everytime he starts sunning himself, we let the dogs out and he has to pop back down his hole.

I'm going to try and find the aquatic gardens I've heard about that have lots of water lilies, if I find them I'll take lots of pics. 

Jonna 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Yucatan update
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:52:54 AM »
Hi Jonna, Thanks for the great up date. I have been thinking about ya. It all sounds so excitting! Love your new puppy. I'm thinking of a new puppy but Karlies Sue is so old now she just might not like loseing attention and compeatting with a youngin? I would love to see more before pix of the house and then the afters.I know you posted some a wais back but I'd like to see that area where you want to put the narrow pond. That sounds wonderful!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:30:22 AM »
JOnna, glad to hear you arrived safely. You certainly sound very busy and have a lot of work ahead of you. I hope your plans are approved so you can get going. Puppy looks like a sweetheart. The dragonfly picture and the flower were interesting. The flower is cool and wild you say? I might just have kinda "rescued" it.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »
Glad all is well.  The photos are wonderful!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:43:28 PM »
I'm glad you checked in and are OK.  I was wondering if those floods were close to you. 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:11:33 AM »
JOnna, glad to hear you arrived safely. You certainly sound very busy and have a lot of work ahead of you. I hope your plans are approved so you can get going. Puppy looks like a sweetheart. The dragonfly picture and the flower were interesting. The flower is cool and wild you say? I might just have kinda "rescued" it.
Esther, you must explain this? Do you have it?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »
I think Esther meant she would have 'liberated' it and taken it home Debbie.  I thought about taking one of them but I don't really have a garden yet and where we saw them was much higher in the mountains and they might not live well here in the tropics.  It's 7000' and very dry and cold in the winter up there.  It appeared to be a kind of bulb, I don't know why it looks so familiar.

Here's a picture of the hall where the indoor pond will go, you can see that it is pretty rough right now. 

Friday night we went to an art opening in a house that our architect just finished.  This is the house where I first saw the indoor water feature in a hall.  Here's a picture of it.  I think if I replaced the water spouts with stone planters as a bog filter, I could have schools of small tropical fish in there. 

I thought the water spouts made too much splash anyway, I'd want something wider with a softer sound.   It's open to the sky, rain will come in and it will vent hot air as well.  I will have mine screened at the top for mosquitoes, the one in this picture is just netted to keep bats out.  :o

The wall and probably the floor will get wet in rain storms but it's rock or tile and the rain is warm so, who cares?   At least, I hope that's true.  I'm going to have a longer conversation with the architect about things like sloping the hall floor towards the pond so water doesn't run into the living room across the hall.  Also whether I'll have to clean moss or algae off the rocks if they get wet too often.   I guess I'll find out some of that  when I'm living with it, if it is a big mistake I can always have glass put in the opening on the roof.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 07:44:05 AM »
More pictures!  Please be sure to take lots of pictures!
I'd be worried that the indoor pond would raise the humidity in the house... Our climates are very similar.  A freind of mines mother had a small indoor pond in her entry way.  It was open  to the sky too.  The mildew on the walls anywhere near that pond was awful!  I remember being roped into helping clean those walls...
Tammie

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »
Great pics! O0 Your rescued Dobie looks like a sweet girl. She does have very long legs, particularly her back ones. She looks like she's come from breeding that people have done over the years to get the Dobermans to be very tall and lean. Originally, Dobermans were not as tall and lean as they are now. They were a heavier, stocky dog. Good luck with her and thanks for rescuing her. O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »
Tammie, your post about increasing the humidity has given me a lot to think about.  I think you are right that it will increase the humidity.  Can I deal with that to have this great indoor pond?  I think so.  I mean, it's really humid anyway part of the year so will I really notice the increase?  I don't know.  We will AC the living room, across the hall from the pond, but not the kitchen, just beyond it.  Perhaps I will reduce the size of the planter/bog waterfall to keep it down a little, also I could add a ceiling fan to that section of hall. 

I also realized that with 3 dogs and a floor level pond, the surface would be dog hair in a day without a skimmer.  I'm now working on integrating a skimmer into the design.  I'm also trying to figure out how an overflow could be put along the hall side to catch water coming back from the hall or cleaning water and drain it away and not into the pond.

Desertponder, this dog is becoming one of the best dogs I've ever had.  She is smart, she learns quickly.  She will sit now and wait while I put the dishes down for the other dogs, she sits and lays down on command, she is getting much better on a leash.  Her bark has changed too, it is not the high pitch squeal bark it was before but now has a deep, bass sound.  She came over to the bed and barked in my ear at about 5am the other night, I got up and let her out on the deck.  I'm lazy and didn't want to go down 3 flights.  She found the board that our male dog had used once and went there.  I'm just really happy that she will now wake me up when she has to go.  So far, she's only gone once in the house and it had just been too long for her.  She's getting better control but she still can't go as long as the other dogs.  Her fear is receding as well,  she doesn't shy away when you reach for her as often.  She still does it when strangers reach for her but not us.  She still runs when there are loud noises or when we got the big ladder out the other day.  She's getting braver though.  We finally got her to our home vet over here in Playa, he also has a dobie.  He says dobie's (large dogs) have their first heats later than smaller dogs so she is probably about 9 or 10 months old.  He thinks she may grow another few inches in height and get a little thicker.  She weighs 49 lbs now and he thinks she will probably end up at around 65 lbs.  She is just a joy. 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 12:59:05 PM »
I believe the bulb shown is a Tigridia.  Possibly Tigridia pavonia.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 02:48:34 PM »
It wasn't so much to humidity that you'd feel - it was the mildew and mold on the close walls that were the problem.  I think a ceiling fan might just help alot.  When do you get started on the remodel?  I can't wait to see pictures!
Tammie

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »
Mikey, I think you have it!  I googled Tigridia pavonia and this picture came up, it looks a lot like the flower I photographed in Patzcuaro, Michoacan.    This site says they are native to Mexico, in the arid, high areas.  So that fits too.  It also said it does not do well at lower, hotter altitudes so I'm glad I didn't 'liberate' one.

We have still not started on the house, we're in bureaucratic h*ll over the permits.  Supposedly, it will get approved this coming Tuesday.  The problem is that there is a new governor of the state and she is from a different political party than the previous one.  So, that means new heads of all the departments including the building permit one.  New dept. head = new rules just to prove you are really in charge.  Same thing in the US.  So, the new rules and a little bit of picky stuff have been satisfied and hopefully we will get approved.  I'm sure this is just the first of many unexpected delays. I am ok with that, luckily I have somewhere to live and I'm not dependent on a set date I have to move in.  So, I'm busy being relaxed about it :)  This is all part of the fun, right?

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »
Dobies are amazing dogs. I've had them for years and I love the breed. They are very smart and loyal. I'm glad you are enjoying her.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 11:38:22 AM »
Your plans sound exciting!  Keep us updated to your ideas and outcome.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:27:17 PM »
Hi Jonna, glad to hear your staying so cool! When we built this place almost 12 yrs ago we were permitted to death! I thought it would never happen? I didn't stay cool and calm at all :D :'( >:(- But We had a dead line to be out of the farm at a certion point. We even ended up paying the new owner rent for a month because of permit delays. Good luck and please keep us up to date.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
beautiful pics and thanks for saving Cuba

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »
What wonderful pics, and how lucky you are to find such a great dog!  She is surely lucky to have found you.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"