Author Topic: What are some things that make ponding easier for older people?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline puddleponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What are some things that make ponding easier for older people?
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did several searches and came up blank.

I want to to a program at our pond club and would like to see if you can add anything I haven't already found - such as using ergonomic tools with extensions, container ponds, external pumps and filters, pots with handles, etc.

Offline cambria koi

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What are some things that make ponding easier for older people?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »
Because I have bad knees and can't get down on the ground we built ours above ground.  We used the landscape logs (we call them Lincoln Logs) from Home Depot and made them about 2 1/2 feet deep and lined them with liner.  I can work on them easier this way.  Not as nice looking as an in ground pond but you have to do what you have to do with what you have to work with.
Dorothy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
Well I'm not sure how much older you mean but I'm female and 65. I'm still pretty active and healthy so maybe am not much of an expert. Are you talking about building a pond or maintenance after a pond exists? Here's a link to a "pot getter" I made for my pond so I didn't have to get in the water to either put the pots in or take them out. It can be used to push them around too.  http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1963.0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:25:09 PM by Esther »

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:08:03 AM »
Hey Jerry, jump in here @O@ @O@ @O@

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline puddleponder

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:47:59 AM »
Thanks Esther, those are great.  I don't have a particular age in mind, but a lot of our group is over 50 and talk of how much longer they will be able to keep up their ponds.  So I thought I would see how much information I could gather about making ponding easier for those of us with limited mobility.  I have a bad hip and my dh has constant back pain, so we are definitely in the group; we just haven't considered quitting yet.

If I get enough info to make a presentation, and use your pot grabber, I'll give it your name.  Maybe you can market them!  :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
Actually, there is a brush head much like the toilet brush that is maybe half again larger that is sold by pool places. But it costs about $15. The one I had I found at one of our rental duplexes when some tenants moved out. The pool tool handle was given to us by a lady who was having the pool filled in at the house she had just bought. So I suspect there may be a commercial version of my "pot getter". At lease I know there is the brush end version.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »
Here is a pruner for reaching out into the pond. They come in lengths starting at about 2' on. They are great for pruning dead leaves and flowers from lilies or other plants. One draw back is they do have a few parts that want to rust, but if you dry it out after use it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=ars%20pruner&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_29165105_1&results-process=default

Some come with a ("cut and hold") gripper blade:
http://www.terratech.net/product.asp?specific=jqhmfnp4

I've made a stick with a piece of thick coat hanger wire formed into a very small hook ~1/4" attached to one end for lifting pots and moving them around. Not nearly as sturdy as Esther's pole hook though.

Does one have to be old and decrepit, or just lazy and smart?

Building a pond in a way that prevents a great deal of labor can be done, you just have to build it that way.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:31:02 PM »
I've been using John John's "LIly Handle" for a couple of years now, and the system works great.
http://www.gardenendeavors.com/rack/web20.html

You may have to scroll down a bit to "Lily Pot Handle".
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 07:24:33 AM »
Boy does this topic hit home.  While I am only 54 I suffer from an unusal form of Eplipecy (complex partial seziures) so my mobility is also limitied but oh how I love my pond.

My suggestions run the gambet from the obivious to the practical and touch on many aspects of working in and around ponds. 

..One or more sizes of sturdy "grabbers"

..Sturdy but light weight telescoping multi-use pole

..Multiple size and type skimmer/fish nets

..High traction light weight shoes

..High traction in-water shoes

..High quality chest or waist waders

..High quality hip boots

..High quality calve height rubber boots

..High quality elbow high rubber gloves

..Cut resistent sure grip form fitting work gloves

..Eye glass security strap

..Light weight loose fitting pants and top for hot weather wear.

..Sun hat

..Cordless phone or cell phone in case of emergencies

..A "what to do if I get injured while by myself plan"

..A "let someone know that I working out at the pond"  contact

..A whistle for attracting attention during emergencies

..A predetermined easy access spot to get in and out of the pond

..Pepper spray to prevent dog attacks

..Kneeling pads

..Rest spot, chair, bench, boulder, etc.

..Towel
Louisp

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:12:25 AM »
Wow, that is an excellent list of items for any ponder. O0

Above ground is definitely easier on a person. Perhaps offer suggestions on how they can build some easy above ground ponds now and eventually convert away from their inground pond. Above ground is certainly easier on the knees and back and you can usually reach about anything in the pond you need to tend to.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline puddleponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »
Great list!  But I am wondering whose dogs attack you in your own pond.  :o

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »
Great list!  But I am wondering whose dogs attack you in your own pond.  :o

Unfortunately, here in North Texas as in many areas of the country people own Pit Bull Dogs and other vicious dogs.  I myself have been face to face with one of those bad tempered animals.  Fortunately I was not attacked but having pepper spray available could mean the difference.

Good question.
Louisp

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »
um....having kids/grandkids close by to do some of the dirty work!  lol

Yes, I'm being funny, sorta, but also serious.  I have a friend who is a senior and she has a pond, she can't do a whole lot, so her son comes over and does all the maintenance for her.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline puddleponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »
Cypress, you are in my area too.  Luckily most people around us keep their dogs in the yard and we have a fence.  We do get pit bulls dumped out here from time to time, but so far no bullies.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
Cypress, you are in my area too.  Luckily most people around us keep their dogs in the yard and we have a fence.  We do get pit bulls dumped out here from time to time, but so far no bullies.

We have an excellent police force and animal control unit.  They take the threat posed by these dogs very seriously.  Owners of such dogs are fined heavily when their dogs are found running loose.

Thanks for the reply.
Louisp

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »
Yes, I'm being funny, sorta, but also serious.  I have a friend who is a senior and she has a pond, she can't do a whole lot, so her son comes over and does all the maintenance for her.

Many seniors do depend on family and friends to help them out but I think seniors have to be realistic about what they expect those family members to do. They can't expect their grown kids and grandkids to become their servants. Its very difficult to take care of an elderly parent and take care of your own home and family. I know because I'm doing it and its tough. My father wants to stay independent for as long as he can and I want that for him too but I cannot help him maintain all the activities/hobbies that he once did. Thats why I'm all for helping seniors redirect their activities to things they still can manage on their own or with minimal help. This can include adapting a current hobby so its manageable.
Shanna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 12:29:19 PM »

Many seniors do depend on family and friends to help them out but I think seniors have to be realistic about what they expect those family members to do. They can't expect their grown kids and grandkids to become their servants. Its very difficult to take care of an elderly parent and take care of your own home and family. I know because I'm doing it and its tough. My father wants to stay independent for as long as he can and I want that for him too but I cannot help him maintain all the activities/hobbies that he once did. Thats why I'm all for helping seniors redirect their activities to things they still can manage on their own or with minimal help. This can include adapting a current hobby so its manageable.

Even though we all wish otherwise what you say is true. 
Louisp

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 12:41:10 PM »
well, when I said "she can't do a whole lot" I was referring to the more intense pond stuff, like when she had a leak and needed a concrete repair, or when the pump went bad and she needed a new one installed.

I didn't mean to imply that she was incapable of having hobbies, such as the pond.  She has a regular job and takes care of her own home, she just doesn't know how to certain things, which her son is glad to take care of for her.  Just wanted to clarify what I meant...I was staying with the topic of maintaing a pond.  She can handle the rest...plants, feeding, filling, cleaning filters, etc.

sorry....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »
Oh no Blind Too, no need to apologize. Obviously many seniors are not going to be able to do a major repair, redo, etc. I understand your point.
Where my mind was going was thinking about seniors who can no longer take care of their ponds at all. Certainly family can help with some things but I think it is wise for seniors to rework or downsize their ponding hobby before they can no longer take care of it. It can evolve to smaller water gardens above ground, etc. to minimize work and make it easier to deal with, hopefully enabling them to continue with the hobby without depending on family or friends for help. ;)
Shanna

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 07:00:33 PM »
Jumping in as Steve suggested.
My not so expert opinions!
The list of tools is a winner
If you are in okay shape at this point of your life WORKOUT!   You don't have to be a Spartan, but do it.  20 to 30 mins at least on a treadmill or bike, stationary  recumbent makes a difference. Daily if you can, thee times a week anyway.
Also take Glucosomine with condroiten! (sp)  I am told it works for 75% of those who use it.
No aches, no pains. We have used it for at least 10 years.  The wife who is not active at all is in good shape as far as aches and pains go
Need I mention drinking or smoking!

Oh yes, cavorting is allowed!  ALSO : Wearing this Tee shirt may protect you from evil spirits and pond goblins!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:30:34 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »
Hey Jerry,
I'm gonna check that stuff out. Seems like more than I want, aches and pains lately.

I always try make things easier--I use the KISS therory---seems to help

As far as the pond goes, I enjoy it more and work at it less.

Lots less plants, again the KISS theroy
Sure do enyoy my fish though!

LONG handles on everything!

I "ALWAYS" wear my American Ponders T while ponding----------------

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:51 PM »
By all means check it out.  Costco sells it.  They have their own label too, but the coating is rough and not easy to swallow, in fact i gag one it.  Spend the 3.00 more and
get "Move Free" by Schiff.

I understand it actually builds new cartilidge! O0

I mix it with Viagra!   kidding! {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondFish

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 05:39:29 AM »
Hello Puddleponder,  here's what I'm doing about making ponding easier.  This June we will install a new 800 gallon savio pond.  It has a "pondskimmer" and a "waterfall weir".  These are both easy access and easy to clean. (at least according to the company and the guy at my local garden center)  The pondskimmer is underground with a lid and the waterfall weir is outside of the pond with a simple foam filter.  If the pond is installed as the company directs suface debris should flow to pondskimmer and all other debris will gather at one point at the bottom of the pond (2 feet deep) reachable with a simple long handled net.

I have been using a pondmaster filter which had to be brought up from the bottom of the pond -- by hand and by me lying down and reaching in.  Boy, did that get old fast.  Although it does a great job.  If you use one of these types use something larger than what your pond needs.  It will avoid all sorts of work and woe.

Enjoy your pond  -- and take it easy!   Pondfish

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »
A lot depends on what they want the pond for.  All the above mentioned stuff is great for a watergarden, but what if that isn't the type of pond you want?

I have a koi pond..that is what it was made for and all it has in it (the lilies are elsewhere  8) )  A goldie only pond could be the same thing.  Some people may not want the maintenance of all the plants.

Many of the suggestions do cross over.  A raised pond is nice for sitting and being able to watch or do stuff in the pond.  Make the filtration what is should be in the first place for easiest maintenance.  Bottom drains, tpr's (like in swimming pools that "sweep" all the junk towards the bottom drain) so you don't have to vac out the pond.  Bottom drains to settlement chambers that can be cleaned out with the opening of a simple knife valve.  Self cleaning microscreens.  Skimmers placed in the correct locations to get the most of the crud that falls into the pond.  Sometimes those leaf baskets and pads are a pain to clean and there are other ways of setting up a skimmer to make cleaning easier.

Good quality commercial filters that only take the flip of valves or switches to clean.  Not all commercial filters are even close to the same in that regard. 

If the pond is easy to maintain..if the filters are easy to clean..it will get done like it should be done either by the owner or a dear loved one that comes to help.  I know many like their skippy filters that "never need cleaning" but the idea of a filter is to get the crud OUT of the water column, not filter the water through the crud.  MHO.
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"