Author Topic: Tammie, Question about shipping horse to Hawaii  (Read 1341 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Tammie, Question about shipping horse to Hawaii
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:32:58 PM »
I ran into someone on another forum not related to ponds who is moving to Hawaii and wants to bring his horse. He is having trouble getting information. Do you know where I should send him? He is in the Pacific NW now but I don't know exactly where.

Thanks
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Tammie, Question about shipping horse to Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »
Thanks Mikey, I should have been more specific. He is looking to actually transport the horse. Doesn't know who to call or where to look.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:54:17 AM »
Hi LeeAnne - If he's looking to fly his horse over the only option is Pacific Air Lift  http://pacificairlift.com/
Cost is about $4000 But first he has to get the horse to LA .  Trailering to LA isn't included in the $4K PAL usually recommends Hubbart trailers.  Tell him he needs to call and talk to Andy.  Andy knows everything, can arrange anything.  They fly here once a month, only on Wednesdays, the Wednesday closes to the 15th of the month. They usually don't fly in December, but I remember them making 2 flights in January one year.
He can also ship his horse via boat.  It's a 5 day trip... I've seen a couple of horses in really bad shape after they come off the boat.  I personally wouldn't ship via boat - no food or water for 5 days, horses are in a shipping box, they can't walk around, lay down, etc.  Pacific Airlift requires that your horse have shipping insurance.  I was talking to my insurance agent (for my daughters horse) and she did mention that her company won't give insurance if you're shipping via boat.  That tells me there's to many claims. 
Tell him to email me is he needs info from this end (where to board horse, who to trailer from the plane, etc)
tryan4@hawaii.rr.com
Tell him the boarding rates around here are pretty reasonable- around $400 per month.  He's not going to find pasture boarding. Finding a good farrier is a problem tho... my boarders acually fly a guy in from California every 5 weeks - costs them $250 per horse!  We have a couple of good vets, but no surgery yet.
Tammie

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
Thank you!
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
Welcome!
Tammie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"