Author Topic: Aussie Nymphs  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Aussie Nymphs
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:59:42 PM »
One benefit of living in Florida is that it is one of the few areas in the US where temperatures get hot enough for the Australian lilies to grow well.

I got this trio of Aussie blooms this morning, blue gigantea, blue immutabilis and purple immutabilis...along with a pretty yellow tropical that appeared in their pond.<g>

Enjoy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:22:21 AM by Sean »
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Aussie Nymphs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 02:15:07 PM »
Fantastico! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:18:28 PM »
One benefit of living in Florida is that it is one of the few areas in the US where temperatures get hot enough for the Australian lilies to grow well.

I got this trio of Aussie blooms this morning, blue gigantea, blue immutabilis and purple immutabilis...along with a pretty yellow tropical that appeared in their pond.<g>

Enjoy

Ummmm, I guess that means they wouldn't grow in my shady backyard . . . . .  too bad

Those are so gorgeous.  Do they have any fragrance?  And how big across are those blooms?

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »
Sigh... o(:-)  o(:-)
Tammie

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »
Those are just gorgeous!  Its already pretty chilly here, I've been putting my plants into the greenhouse  :'(. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:58:57 PM »
Breath taking.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:13:32 PM »
I know Tammie, I know.....I promise, next week for sure.<g>

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »
Craig, those are stunning!  I especially love the blue immutabilis, the shading is beautiful.  Wouldn't those grow in Hawaii Tammie?  I'm wondering if they would grow here, this is zone 10b?

oops, just saw that you are getting some Tammie.  Cool.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »
Ohhh,, I love that yellow Craig!  Nice and double <g>
That's my kind of bloom.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:22:36 PM »
Keep my dream going, Craig. The blue immutabilis is what I want. You are starting to rank up there with the Knotts in my book. O0

And I live in Florida! @O@ @O@ @O@

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »
The Blue gignatea is so soft and beautiful looking.
for the first time, I feel so bad that I have buds that won't bloom because it is so COLD here.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 05:30:46 PM »
Hey - what's that little purple flower under the yellow tropical?  It's absolutely gorgeous!

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:04 PM »
Wow Craig, the aussies are gorgeous! I like your yellow lily too, very pretty colour and lots of petals.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »
Been to florida many times and have never had a desire to move there.. THOSE could persaude just about anybody IM sure!  They are beautiful. 

Tinkster

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 09:33:26 PM »
I'm not begging, Craig... I would never beg, Craig... Yes I would!  Please, please with sugar on top!!
Na, I'm teasing.  I know you're like 10x busier then I am, and I've been running crazy the last couple of weeks!
Tammie
Teresa - that lily in with the yellow one looks like Wood's Blue Goddess or Colorata to me...
Me

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 01:59:26 AM »
LOL...so close for me, yet so far. :'(

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 04:30:29 PM »
Teresa....Tammie is right, a small Wood's Blue Goddess bloom did manage to sneak into the picture.

Hi Sean, I do like the yellow.  Full rich yellow color and a petal count well over forty, but it has one major drawback...it's yellow!  It just doesn't seem the market needs another yellow lily, so it stays in my 'pet lily' pond.  Maybe it will give me my 'Yellow Midnight'...the market may be more receptive to a yellow moptop.<g>

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 04:52:21 PM »
True enough Craig!

I really love yellow lilies. If it ever puts out an extra propagating corm, keep me in mind. It has never made sense to me why the yellow and white tropical waterlilies are not so well received. I still look forward to blooms from Trailblazer and Janice C. Wood. I find that the blue, pink and purple tropicals are the common ones and the whites and yellows should be looked at by waterlily fanciers as rare and desirable.

Great to hear you plan to use in it your hybridizing endeavors.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 06:57:02 PM »
OH, how nice to see these on a chilly evening. i really like the yellow. i for one like the yellows. i tried a blue  immutabilis one year and it lasted for 2 months and then went dormant when the unusual summer rains came. with my new hot water pond i think i can do better. making my wish list for next year.

keep the photos coming, craig, they are a delight to see.

lou

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:19 PM »
I'd take that stray blue lily if it needed a home, but then I'd prolly kill it . . . . And I'd take the yellow too, cuz I love yellow and peachy yellow lilies too.  Oh crap. . . . let's be honest . . . . I love them all cuz I can't grow any of them!

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »
Hi Teresa,

I know for certain that there are folk out there working on shade tolerant lilies, just for people like you.<g>

Here is the original and two seedlings from the original shade tolerant lily I have.  Nice, but except for the tolerance, nothing to really write home about.

I have the third generation sprouting now, hopefully by next season I'll have one that catches your fancy.  And in all honesty....something as sterile as it is nice...or somehow unique.  I shudder to think of the field day scamster could have.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
Here is the original and two seedlings from the original shade tolerant lily I have.  Nice, but except for the tolerance, nothing to really write home about.

If you lived in a shady world, you'd write home about them!!!  I am happy to know that there is someone out there making a lily that can survive my yard. 

I once had a lot of lilies and they were beautiful.  That was the summer that I had 12 big trees (and maybe that many small trees) cut down.  Unfortunately, the rest filled in with branches and the smaller ones grew larger and I haven't had that great a summer since.  Oh yeah, and my DH hasn't forgiven me for cutting them all down yet either . . . . was supposed to call him before I cut any that he hadn't specifically ok'd and I didn't.  He hasn't spoken to the tree man since, either.

Think he'd divorce me if I called the tree man and had another dozen or so cut down. . . . but the leyland cypress are looking worse every year, so I continue to hope . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"