Author Topic: Look what I found!  (Read 2123 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Look what I found!
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:21:07 AM »
While doing some pond maintenenace I saw this large larvae which was all of 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, I do not think I have seen one quite this big before but it is nice to know that my pond is balanced enough that I continue to have dragonflys. He was a little cold but posed for the camera anyway....LOL

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Look what I found!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:31:56 AM »
Snack??   I noticed on Annettes China photos there was a photo of a bowl of dragonfly larvae with the comment "delicacy".....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
nice pictures, I was surprised to see some large ones in my pond even in Oct. as the water was in the low 40's.  See nothing now, but a small opening as it is frozen with about 8"of snow or more on it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:28:28 PM »
Only One?!?!  That's just like eating one tic tac breath mint!  lol lol lol 

I can't imagine being that hungry.  But nice find Andy.  Your water must be warm enough for baby action still.  We're experiencing a very long cold spell here, 40's low and mid 60's high. 

Nice photos of your baby dragonfly.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:55:19 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:08:36 PM »
Don't let it bite you.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
The dragonfly larvae bite?

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »
This one made no attempt to bite and I was very gentle with it, took my pictures and released it back into the pond. It may have been a little cold then again I meant it no harm and I love dragonflys maybe somehow it just knew that  ;D After all look how I have improved their home !!

o( o(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:10:55 AM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:55:06 AM »
I have heard they have a nasty bite.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 09:24:50 AM »
Well until just now I had not thought to check but according to the websites I just visited they do not bite. Now knowing that I still would handle with care. the larger species eat small fish so I am sure that if they were trying to protect themselves (survival instinct) they would do whatever they could to survive. I had latex surgical gloves on and it made no attempt to bite me or the glove. I did watch for that as it was so large. I have gotten bitten by a water beetle in the past and that stings like all get out but never a dragonfly larvae or Dragonfly for that matter.

Andy

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 10:14:24 AM »
For what ever reason I too thought they would bite.  I guess I got it all wrong....  Apparently they not only taste good but they also don't bite...  ;D

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
http://www.flyline.com/entomology/entomology_2/  Scroll way down:
If it bites and draws blood, it's probably a dragonfly nymph. These guys have a nasty bite.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »
http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html/popups/bpedia_07_tol_dr-ny-a.html 
Dragonfly Nymph
The nymph the “teenage” form of the dragonfly, before it becomes an adult. It belongs to the order Odonata, which comes from the Greek word, odous, meaning tooth. The nymphs can inflict a sharp bite with their teeth (mandibles) if held carelessly.

http://www.flyline.com/entomology/entomology_2/ 
Pick the nymph up and give it a gentle squeeze. If it bites and draws blood it was probably a dragonfly nymph. These guys are mean.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/uniramia/odonatoida.html
Their mouths have been adapted for biting, making them efficient hunters. All Odonata have a prehensile labium, which can be extended forward from underneath the head faster than most prey can react, making their bite fatal to prey.

http://www.aquascapelifestyles.com/archives/winged_wildlife_in_your_pond.html
The dragonfly nymph is the color of the bottom of the pond and can be found there until it is time to ... They prey on aquatic insects, and they can bite. ... ...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:54:18 PM by Esther »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 09:30:08 PM »
Apparently they not only taste good but they also don't bite...  Grin
And Andy has the large 3" variety!!  YUMMMM!!

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 05:40:30 PM »
ow ow ow Esther I give! ;D Seriously I had found three sites that said they won't or don't BUT given their predatory nature and this ones size I gave it all due respect.  I went to Wikipedia and it they agree.... With Esther! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly so anyone finding these handle with care evidently they can bite and it will hurt.

Esther I stand duly corrected  :-\ mea culpa

Andy

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »
I've never been bitten but do distinctly remember folks on this forum saying they had been bitten. At that point I had no idea that I might have those critters in my little pond. So had gone merrily on my way, oblivious of those little biters laying in wait for me. Well it doesn't sound like they attack though, just if they were caught and squeezed or cornered by your hand maybe. I thought it was interesting that their Latin name meant tooth or something to do with teeth so must be it is commonly known.

Guess my prior explanation was a little on the overkill side huh?

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 11:43:50 PM »
They also will bite and eat young baby fishies.... :-\
Mary

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »
 {:-P;; Well I guess I couldn't leave it alone, I had to ask an aquatic entomologist. John Abbot specializes in dragonflies and damselflies and is a Professor at the University of Texas. here is what he had to say about my find.

----- Original Message -----
To: jcabbott@mail.utexas.edu
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 11:05 AM
Subject: Odonata larvae question

Dr. Abbot,
                Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule.  I have a large pond in my back yard and I continue to develop it as a natural habitat, adding plant and fish etc. Over recent years I have noticed more and more insect inhabitants. Last year was a great year for dragonflies and damselflies  as I am sure this spring will be too.
                While cleaning up the edges of my pond ( old cattail stalks and other decaying matter) I found the nymph you see in this picture. Is there any way to tell what kind of dragonfly nymph it is? I have seen many different kinds but this was by far the largest specimen.

Lastly I understand that dragonfly nymphs can deliver a painful bite, is that true?  I have found conflicting info where this is concerned so I thought I would ask the master  :o)

Thank you in advance

Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 2:06 PM
To: Andy J Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Odonata larvae question

Hi Andy,

This is an aeshnid (darner) and probably Anax junius (Common Green Darner).  Dragonfly larvae can deliver a painful bite if you are a prey item to them, but they are harmless to humans.  As an aquatic entomologist, I think they are really fascinating.

Happy New Year,
John

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 03:03:32 PM »
Okay Andy, that settles it.  There is only one thing you can do now.  Start poking and prodding that Anax junius larvae and confirm one way or the other if it bites.....  film at 11.... :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:51:02 PM by Mikey »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
OK, now that bites!  ;D

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »
Even though it may not seem like it I think Dr. Abbot is agreeing with Esther, they CAN deliver a painful bite but usually reserve it for prey and leave the humans alone for the most part. Likely I would find out just how painful the bite is should it feel the need to invoke it's survival skills. I really couldn't a torture it to invoke it so handle with care lest we all find out  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"