Author Topic: Only 3 months and some odd days and a few hours till.......  (Read 1721 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Only 3 months and some odd days and a few hours till.......
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »
Spring and ponding begins.. the xmas hype is over, my surgery is done and I am ready to roll this year.. its gonna be a long winter... anybody dying to get in their gardens :)

tinkster

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Only 3 months and some odd days and a few hours till.......
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »
Good to see you back!  I would love to get back into my pond projects if the weather would only cooperate.  The water is very cold and there seems to be cold winds or strong wind coming through all the time.

I was raking some of the leaves my fruit trees lost during the last winds.  They were wet and mucky.  Found some broken pottery knock down by the apple tree dropping way too big apples.  Can't wait until the days get longer.

Glad to hear you're feeling well. Happy New Year!

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:41:05 PM »
good to see you Tink!

I'm not sure I'm all that anxious to get out in the garden.. we will start planting seeds for market garden in a few weeks time... I can't make up if I want spring  @O@ @O@ or I want it to wait for awhile so I can get other stuff done... ::)

But spring brings so much... fishies are happy and eating, new baby bunnies (I need a bunch to make up for what I lost in a moldy feed problem) and the promise of growth and that life does continue on  :)
Mary

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 05:58:22 AM »
Tinkster it is good to hear your surgery is done. Hope it did what it was supposed to.

Way too early to be thinking of spring and ponding. Am still in recovery mode from Christmas.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
You can tell that ponds are sleeping now, because posting on this site has dramatically dropped off.  I sure miss all the pics!

I think the change in the air that comes with Spring causes that yearning to be out in the garden / pond to really get strong. 

But here in South Texas it's not all that cold, and I plan to do a pond project while it's cool - and my fish won't be quite so stressed while they're out of the aerated pond.  I'm gonna use some of my Christmas gift Home Depot gift cards (good Gard - EVERYONE give me a HD gift card!) to get materials to build a bigger bog filter, splice together some liner, etc., and then add 4 more feet or so of length to my pond.

Ah... another week off work!   Another aching back.  :D

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »
Oh I have more then 3 months before I can pond, or even garden.  But I can plan, plan, plan.  Glad you are feeling good.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:59:40 PM »
I piddle all winter with my lilies. I have 6 aquariums and a 100 gallon pond set up in my basement. I have lights all over the basement. I also have all my bog plants and banana plants down there. I have Gambusi and black and white mollies in the aquariums and pond. I am growing N. minuta-and blue capensis from Africa from seed. I am growing blue gigantea from seeds. I also will soon plant immutabilis seeds. I have water lilies that did not tuber in the aquariums. I also saved some lilies that did tuber because they are special to me. So I still have some of my lilies all winter. Now my electric bill is another story. LOL

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »
Tinkster, So happy to see you posting again.  Glad to hear you finally had your surgery done and hope it takes care of your problem. Better take it easy for awhile and no heavy projects. I know here in Pa. will be longer than 3 months before can get in garden. What projects you have planned this spring?  :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
Hi Tinkster! Happy New Year. Hope you are feeling well. It'll be more than 3 months until ponding weather arrives here too. I heard on a weather report yesterday that we have already had more snow this winter than in the last 3 winters combined! At least it's good for the perennials. Here's to a great ponding/gardening season in 2008.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 05:23:30 PM »
Tinkster.... got the fever!!  can't say I blame you with all you have had going on over the last couple of months.  Even though this is Florida my part still gets cold, looking at the high 20's all the rest of the week which means dead plants, I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the pond this week while it was warm, That is when I found my little friend in the other thread.  I guess the real test is if the tropicals weather it.

I will feel your pain shortly but only for a short time.
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
It's good to ya back in here....missed ya !
Tinkster it is good to hear your surgery is done . Now get all better so u can work in & around your flowers & pond !

I've got some tropical's in the g'house pond ....taro's , umbrella palm...ect. Have a few goldies in ther too . I go in there to sit & relax. Feed the fish a little food.....I put a titanium heater in the pond & it's been keeping the temp. at 60 * on the cold day's & night's ....a few week's ago that was 9* .

It's all nice & all BUT I cannot wait for SPRING to come  @O@ .

bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
okay... so ponding is probably a bit longer than 3 months away lol.. I was trying to make myself feel better :)

MCP... nothing in line except to straighten up all the messes I made last year and try to finish off planting.  gardening (especially small plants) are not for a person that whats fullness now :)

Good to be back and miss seeing all the pictures posted here.. hopefully some of our southern friends can drop us a few to keep us going to spring.

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 04:40:42 AM »
Hay Tink welcome back, I hope all is going well. I'm hopeing that I retain some of this wonderful NY energy so I can get lots done outside this year and make up for not doing shi* last year. I love getting in the dirt and playing in the pond. But I'm afraid I have at least 4 months, especially if the snow and freezes keep up.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
Can't wait.   @O@ @O@ @O@  The weather this week could have fooled me though.  It is so nice to have upper 60's lower 70's in January.  Too bad all good things must come to a end.  Only supposed to be in the 30's after tonight.  Oh well, I guess it still beats the single digit temps we had last week.  Even the fish are enjoying this weather.  They are all swimming at the top enjoying  rain we just had.  All of them seem to be doing good so far.
Central IL zone 5

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
Tink your not wrong at all ......you start dividing lotus early in the spring....which for me is the first week in March....so technically my spring chores start in less than three months  ;)....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
Glad to see you back and healthy!  Yes from Dec 21 on the days get longer (my b'day)
We lucky Californians will be ponding a lot sooner, I sure hope.  My fish are still eating , so  we have not had a frosty night yet.  Fingers crossed.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"