Author Topic: Winter Hobby  (Read 3020 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Winter Hobby
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »
Hello! Happy New Year, I hope you are all doing well. I just thought I'd pop in to say Hello, and to show you what my Son and I have been working on these past few months. It hasn't always been productive (my lovely 5 yo can destroy days of work in 10 seconds), but it's been a lot of fun.
We can't eat in our Dining Room anymore, but we never did anyway.

Cafe Corner (my Christmas present):

Market Street:

Picnic near Hogwarts:

I would like to get more dimension into it, like hills, rivers, etc. but my table is too small!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Hobby
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »
OH MY WORD!!! You really have gotten into Leggos haven't you. It is marvelous. You should display it at a mall somewhere. Kids would be fascinated. What am I saying? Adults would probably appreciate it more. Are there competitions where you could enter that? You'd win for sure.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
Wow how neat is that. A wonderful hobby.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »
Hey Lego Lady!!!  That's so amazing what you can do with Legos.  So much detail!  Is this a kit or your design? 

Thanks for sharing!

Offline cashb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:59 PM »
That is the coolest thing!!!!!  Gotta show my husband the train, he is building one now and is absolutely obsessed!  Your son will remember this and the time you spent together making it, for the rest of his life.  You GO girl!!!   O0

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »
Thanks so much for the really nice comments! Unfortunately, these are kits.
The last time I played with Lego bricks was in the 70's, and let me tell you- they have become really sophisticated since then! The red corner house (Cafe Corner) set has a lot of newer pieces, colors, and newer building techniques. The Market Street set was designed by an adult Lego fan, and both of these sets are primarily marketed towards the "adult" fan.
I'm learning, but it's all so new. Hopefully my old brain can learn new things. {:-P;;

cashb, is your husband building a Lego train, or a different kind of train? We love trains around here... but wow do they ever take up a lot of space!
We built the Lego Holiday train together as a family and put it around the tree this year. That was a fun time.
Karen

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »
Hi Karen!
Really cool.. I bought the boys in the family Lego sets this year for Christmas and they really enjoyed them... might have to think about this for adults too for now on!

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
That is so cool! I love it!!! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »
OMG that is so cool, I thought my boys were good builders back in there building days.   Do you belong to the LEGO Club or the LEGO Brickmasters???  If not you should definately go to http://www.lego.com and join up.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
My Oh My! karen, those are just fantastic!! And I agree that you should inter a contest! Go for the gusto girl your good at it!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
Great job!  While Christmas shopping, I was in Toys R Us and walked through the Lego display.  They have certainly changed in twenty years!  I bet your little boy thinks you are the coolest Mom.

Karen

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Happy new year, Karen! I'm reading the forum on my phone right now, so I can't see the photos (I'll log in tomorrow on the real computer). The caption for the picnic reminded me to say that I finished the Deathly Hallows just last night! I started reading around Sept. 1. The fourth book read the slowest, it's my least favorite, but #6 only took a week and #7 was about another week to read. DH read the series to Dylan, but I still had some surprises! 
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »
Great job Karen, it looks wonderful. It's good to see a dining room put to good use.  O0
Many people use it to do other things besides dining...I know we do.
Your project looks like it was so fun to do. Thanks for showing us!
Joann

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »
Very cool Karen 8)

Sounds like a good winter project to me.
I would think that he could knock it down in less than 10 sec though :)

Happy new year to you too.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »
 Desertponder, happyoutsidegirl, Desertponder, Bonnie, Thanks!  :hug:

OMG t  Do you belong to the LEGO Club or the LEGO Brickmasters??? 

Lego club yes, but not Brickmasters. Yet. I'll bet that your boys were/are much better builders than me.

Jessica, My least favorite HP book was "The Order of The Phoenix". Did you find that one tedious? I thought the movie was better than the book! The seventh book was full of action, and explained a lot.

CliffandJoann, So nice to hear from you. Isn't it great when a Dining Room can actually be used?  :) I thought I had half a house until I started this hobby. Dining rooms ain't for dining anymore. And those silly Living Rooms are for...PIRATES! Forget the silly collectible china, Pirates look a lot better in a Living room. On an ocean.  :)

EagleEye, 5 seconds.  ;) But if he does that, he is BANNED from that Dining Room for a week! Or more, depending on the offense. Small offenses are expected, and only result in a 1 hour banning. Large offenses (collapsing a building that took 18 hours to build) result in a larger punishment.  ;)

Great job!  While Christmas shopping, I was in Toys R Us and walked through the Lego display.  They have certainly changed in twenty years!  I bet your little boy thinks you are the coolest Mom.

Karen
:redx:

Wow, you're right- they have really changed. I guess that's why I like them so much.  :) Yes, my boy does think I'm a cool Mom, but the other kids in our small neighborhood think that I ROCK! Even the teenagers think it's Cool (I don't get that, when I was a teen anything Lego was Dorky!)

Karen

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
OMG, Karen!!! That is just awesome!!!  I had no idea that Legos had changed so much.  I have an old (1970's) set that the grandchidren love to play with, but there's no comparison to what they have available now.  WOW!!! @O@ @O@

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 04:22:01 AM »
When My DGD was here last summer we built a huge castel out of the reg ones. We had big ones too. We thought it was great and had a ball doing it, but I'll never let heer see your work. :o Then I'd be in big trouble. hehehe!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"