Author Topic: Of the best laid plans of mice and men....  (Read 1220 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Of the best laid plans of mice and men....
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
Well I just checked on my fish in my small pond and now I am torqued off, I HAD 4 goldies in there that were a decent size (about 8-10 inches) one was actually a yellow/beige color. My wifes friend gave them to us and the big pond had to many predators. NOW I have 2, One is scratched up pretty good the other is fine. The yellow is gone and so is the other. Looks like something with some claws got to it so I suspect racoon.... Darn it! o( >:(- :'(
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Of the best laid plans of mice and men....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:48:21 AM »
Sorry to hear that Andy.  Hopefully the fish that survived the attack will be alright.  Sounds like you'll need something to go over your small pond for protection.

Darn those raccoons!

BTW How deep is your lake/pond?  Just wondering about the kind of predators you get there.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that bad news Andy. 

I guess racoons have learned that fish are very curious.  When I get into our pond they don't shy away and in fact come up and start nibbling on my hairy legs....  I also suppose they stir things up and the fish come in to see if there are some bloodworms or other goodies to be found.  The racoons must have very sensative and quick hands/feet in order to grasp ahold of fish so easily.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
So sorry to hear about your fish.  Do you have snapping turtles in your area?  One got in our pond last summer and did a lot of damage to our fish.  Some disappeared totally and others ended up with no tails. :'(    Here's a pic of some of the damage.
Karen

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »
an electric fence and a raccoon proof pond..deep and straight sides..no place to sit and fish.  Otherwise buy lots of cheap feeders..they will be back
Mary

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »
I get the occasional heron or egret and scare them off still a Gold fish sticks out like a sore thumb and is like a beacon from the air. I worry more about the Catfish and the Largemouth Bass.

Annette It is 6 foot at it's deepest and slopes in. most of my lillies are planted along the 2-3 foot section with the exception of the splatterdock it is 5 feet down, and it seems to like it there..

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »
Geezz Karen those poor fish and the damage to their tails is quite a sight.  Must have been a big turtle snapping!  So many predators for our simple love of the hobby.  Too sad.. :'(

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »
Awwww , sorry arout your loss . They alway's seem to get the one's ya really like too !

bonnie

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:10:57 AM »
"nibbling on my hairy legs.... "    Hee hee hee - I had to scroll left and look at your picture after that one!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »
 lol lol lol Funny, Julles!  lol lol lol

Except that I've met Mike in person, I would have been a bit worried.... lol lol lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"