Author Topic: Remember my bout with contractors here?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Remember my bout with contractors here?
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Well, I did find a decent contractor finally for my concrete, and he did a great job (after SEVEN flakes!)

So I decided to take on another project in my home, that is, the walk in closet.  It's 10 x 5.5 feet with a 9 foot ceiling height.  It was a total waste of space with only one railing and one shelf, so I wanted to install a Closet Maid kit like you get at Lowes/Home Depot.  I had read some feedback about the professionals, and one lady said she paid $11k on her two walk in closets!!!  Okay, more than ten times my budget, that's why I went with DIY.  I want to put wood laminate flooring in the living room, so I figured the closet would be good practice.  First I tore up the carpet, then the pad and glue, and then the project started.  About half way through it got a lot easier.

I laid down a moisture barrier and taped it to the wall ...

and then I finished up and trimmed the plastic.  Not too bad.

Next I painted the walls and I was going to have someone come and do crown molding at the ceiling.  I thought I'd try it but someone told me about a guy that does good work and is very reasonable.  So I emailed him Friday night and waited for a reply.  Saturday he responded late and told me, "I'll give you a call tomorrow".  So I made myself available all day, and no phone call.  Sunday night, he left another email, "Sorry I didn't get a chance to call. I forgot it was Sunday and I try not to work on Sundays".  Fair enough, but it would have been nice to know that ahead of time.  So he said he'd call Monday, and I waited all day...no calls.

I gave up, and I went to Home Depot, started looking at crown moldings and cabinets, loaded up a cart with a bunch of stuff and he finally called.  He apologized, but said he would come by Wednesday evening to install the molding.  As we were talking, I told him I was getting cabinets and he said he is a cabinet maker, and asked what my budget was.  Long story short, he said he could do the cabinets for less money, and they'd be custom.  So I unloaded the cart and put everything back and waited for him to quote the job.  He called and said he was running late and asked if he could come Thursday instead.  Like the idiot that is me, I said 'ok' and made sure I was home by 3 pm.  By 4 pm, he called and said he would be by in a couple hours, probably after 6 pm, and I said 'ok'.  Yeah, I'm an idiot, I know.

Finally I tried to call about 8 pm and got his voicemail.  Then he sent me an email and said he already painted the molding and it was ready to install.  The first thing that I wondered was why he had molding painted and ready to install when we hadn't discussed style or color. :-\  I didn't even bother to reply, I called at about 9 pm and told him to forget it, he was obviously not coming by and that I didn't want him to.  That meant I had to go back to Home Depot and load up with the cabinets and molding again and do the job myself. 

Even though I told him the first time we spoke that I was tired of flakes and disappointed that he didn't call when he said he would, he assured me that he wouldn't flake on me.  This clown basically flaked on me FIVE times in a week!  So he lost a $700 job and I did the cabinets myself:

This is the kit from Home Depot, and was only about $600 and a few hours of my time.

at the end of the closet with additional shelves and rods

and the light was pretty lame, so I got a pretty kewl light to put in, and did that too.

Now I just have to do the base molding and the crown molding myself and it's done!

I'll tell you, I'm kind of glad that contractors flake so much out here...it's helping to pay for my home improvement education by saving me $$ and giving me experience at doing the work myself!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Remember my bout with contractors here?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
Good job. And now you have the feeling of accomplishment that you wouldn't have had if the "flake" wouldn't have flaked out on you.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:54:26 PM »
Looks darn nice! Gratifying too! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:57 AM »
thanks, yes...these flaking contractors are keeping me from being lazy, that's for sure!

It's so weird how these people are out here...I posted a comment about my experiences on a forum and a guy who is a licensed contractor responded and said this to me:

"Had you gone by the same set of laws as Contractors must go by, I don't think you would have had so many problems"

....what the H-E double-hockey-stick is he talking about?  He accused me of going to Home Depot and hiring the first guy who jumped in my truck!  Guess who doesn't get any of my business!!  I had licensed contractors flake on me, and guys who lied about having a license didn't get the job...so where does this clown come off telling me how he assumes I hire people?  Of all the guys who have done work, and guys who were going to do work but never showed up, they were all licensed.

I know not all of them are like that, but there are so many who are that it's hard to find a decent one these days!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:05:36 AM »
We did some remodeling about 10 years ago  The fact it always takes longer than promised is a given.  They said if we left town they could get a lot more done.  We did, they unplugged the freezer in the garage when they needed a power outlet.  Not only did we lose the food but the freezer stunk no matter how it was cleaaned.  We had to give it away. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
Good job with the flooring! Good luck with the crown molding.  I tried crown molding once......and I will never try it again.....

Generally speaking, contractors ARE flakes.  That judgment comes from personal experiences just like yours as well as the experiences of friends.  

"Hey Mike.  I'll be there at 9:00am and I will need access to power."  So I make sure I stick around the house all day and of course he is a no-show.... >:(-

Since we now live in the age of cell phones and every contractor has one there is absolutely no excuse to not keep customers or potential customers informed.  

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
Looks good!

First home improvement I ever did was crown molding - just remember you can fix all sorts of crimes with putty and paint. Turns out, no matter how accurate etc you are, the walls are seldom, if ever, exactly flat, meeting the ceiling at 90 degrees.

As well as you have done thus far, the floor and ceiling moldings will be great I'm sure.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:56:21 AM »
I really like it!!! It looks wonderful! O0 I like the color of blue you chose for the walls. :)
Good job!!
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
So Mike!  When can you come to work on my closet!!  ;D

Such a large walk-in!  You did a fabulous job on the floor, cabinets, paint, and light.  With the right tools the crown molding is a cinch, if I can do it, so can you.  What kind of molding are you looking at?  There are some new fandangled moldings out there where you don't even have to do miter cuts but it's all up to the style preference.

Not even going to add to disastrous contractors comments.  But I did find one who did great work and then died  :'( 

You do great work Mike!.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »
thanks alot, everyone!  If I may say so myself, I do feel a great sense of accomplishment....and I do like how it turned out.  I have a miter saw, but I have also seen some nice connectors like Annette said that will make the corners easier to do...I might go that route before I go through $40 worth of moldings!  lol

The only problem I have now is trying to find stuff to put on all the shelves and in the drawers!  I have too much room now, and my closet was so cluttered before!!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
Need clothes?  come to my garage sale.  I hate throwing things away, but now I find "stuff" owns me, instead of me it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
Hey!  It looks great!  When we had crown molding done awhile back I remember the guy telling me you had to cut it at a 30* angle, not a 45.  Our molding was in 2 peices, so that might me why... so go look it up before you take my advice and mess it up!
Did you get the light at home depot?  That's the style I want to use in my kitchen... How long is it?
Tammie

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
We have that same light in our kitchen and it came from HD.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
Hey!  It looks great!  When we had crown molding done awhile back I remember the guy telling me you had to cut it at a 30* angle, not a 45.  Our molding was in 2 peices, so that might me why... so go look it up before you take my advice and mess it up!
Did you get the light at home depot?  That's the style I want to use in my kitchen... How long is it?
Tammie

Thanks Tammie.  Yes, I got that light at Home Depot, the one they had at Lowes that was similar was about $30 more, this was about $55.  It's about 33 inches long, and was easy to install.  There are also LED replacement bulbs for this light (GU10), I might try those to see if they'll still produce enough light.

I'm not sure about the 30º cuts...maybe it depends on the angle of your crown molding to the wall/ceiling, but everything I see is 45º. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »
It seems like I heard to do the 45' and then cut away some of the back. I'd better look this up and see if there is a better explanation.

I googled "cutting crown molding" and got this list.  http://search.comcast.net/search?cat=Web&con=ie7&q=cutting+crown+molding

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »
The only problem I have now is trying to find stuff to put on all the shelves and in the drawers!  I have too much room now, and my closet was so cluttered before!!

Don't want to brag but I'm a pro at finding things to fill the closet.  My DH says I'm too good at it!  :o  ;D  :D

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:14:37 PM »
Blind' Too,

I think you did a wonderful job with everything.  Why pay someone if you can do it yourself!  You never know until you try, and you did great! 

What color is your paint?  I just painted my small 2nd bathroom a blue very similar to yours, it's called Peal Lake.  I still need to do a darker blue around the border and am puting up a border with frogs and lillies.

Way to go.  Can't wait to see the moldings up.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
Thanks Tonya!  The color is Eddie Bauer at Lowes, it's called Bluestone.  I really like that color too. 

I'll probably try the moldings this weekend...I have a back up plan in case I can't do the miter cuts very well.  One of my neighbors has crown moldings throughout her home and it really adds to the aesthetics, so I want to do that as well....eventually! 

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 07:08:06 AM »
Hey Michael,

Very nice job!  Those lowlife contractors did you a favor, now you know that you can do a great job yourself. O0

Just practice on a couple small pcs of the crown moulding--you'll get it, and like Mike said, putty will take care of the rest.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 09:02:04 AM »
Our son put up some crown molding for us in our living room.  He made it such that he was able to put string lighting behind it.  This photo was taken this morning but at night it gives an nice ambiance to the room.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »
Nice ambience on your moldings Mikey!  I like that, may have to hijack that idea.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »
wow....I like that, Mikey!  I was kind of thinking in those lines initially but way too much work for a closet!  If I do that I'd have to put a big screen tv in there too because I'd spend way too much time in there!  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »
wow....I like that, Mikey!  I was kind of thinking in those lines initially but way too much work for a closet!  If I do that I'd have to put a big screen tv in there too because I'd spend way too much time in there!

lol And Speaker System!!  lol lol

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
Great job O0

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »
Hay Micheal, It looks wonderful, pat yourself on the back and buy yourself a cold one. Head on out here to Washington and I'll find some more things for you to learn how to do! O0
Mikey, That looks really great!!!! What a good idea!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
Wow! That looks fabulous!!!! Great job!

And really, once you get it down, you have it for the rest of the house right?

I did a full house reno in our old place... learned lots, loved it, sold it and she turned it into a grow op  :o Glad to see you are going to be living in yours :)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »
thanks....and now that I have done the crown molding in the closet....I'm ready to attack the rest of the house!  lol

This was really easier than I thought, and I installed the moldings on my break this am (about 20 minutes).  But I did cheat a little....I got corner caps and I stained and glued them up last night, and then today I put up the moldings and nailed them in  place.  Still need a few more nails, but overall it looks nice.  I might do the moldings a dark blue...or maybe just leave them white...I don't know yet.  I learned a couple little tricks doing this, and it made it a lot easier being that I was putting up a ten foot section by myself.

here it is!

This is the corner piece...these came in wood, while the moldings were primed mdf.  Weird.

here's the ten foot section...not too bad... My walls are NOT square, that's for sure!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
It looks very good, pro even! I think the dark blue would look good!  :2thumbs:
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
Looks fabulous!  You sure know how to finish a job good and quick!  Watch out house....you're in for a real makeover!  ;D

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »
Great job on the floor and the crown moldings, they look great! I think I will have to add the crown molding to the ceiling of mine now, that looks really awesome! In case you are looking for more work, you can also add the crown molding on top of the shelving, some people like it, some people don't, I added it to my closet none the less. You just nail them down instead of up! Here are pictures of mine for your reference, before the molding and after:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"