Author Topic: Okay I QUIT!  (Read 2430 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Okay I QUIT!
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:09:56 AM »
No more Mr. nice guy!! Seems like the nicer you try to be the more you get taken advantage of!! Seems the local fauna have determined that I am being a nice guy providing them free meals of Gold fish,  I caught a raccoon redhanded yesterday while I was home sick, I was having trouble sleeping so I got up and went to my office where I get a view of the front pond. Seems he was trying to capture one of the other remaining Gold fish. What he didn't count on was me getting to my paintball gun.... I know it stung because he had to have lept 3 feet in the air and the 2 subsequent shots hit him square in the behind. Wish I had pictures but hopefully he Stays away now!

Andy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:06:00 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Okay I QUIT!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:56:35 AM »
Man, do I know that feeling of helpless rage... headless fish, you see the 'coon (in my case, it's neighbors' cats) and there's nothing you can do about it.  At least you had the gun... but if I had MY way, it would not be paint, but a REAL gun... I'm so fed up with the danged marauders!   >:(

I did manage to catch a opossum the other week... but he wasn't the one eating my fish.  He has been knocking over and breaking pots, though, so at least that's one down.  He went bye-bye with the City animal control guy.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
That's some early eye opener for you Andy.  At least you caught the culprit red handed, but too bad it wasn't caught on your video.  I would have liked to have seen all the action!  ;D

I'm with Julles.  Paint ball guns aren't lethal enough!  >:(  Did you actually use paint balls?  If you did, what color(s) is that rascally raccoon sporting today!  :D  :o

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
Get out the live trap and take them on a very long one way trip.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
Get out the live trap and take them on a very long one way trip.
I totally agree....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »
Trouble is, I have seen as many as 10 of them across the street, and my big pond brings them in as well, if they catch something out there more power to them, they may get a good arguement out of the 15 pound catfish in there  lol still I put those goldies in there to protect them and they have rock caves to hide under yet he got two. Maybe now he willl think twice especially when he sees that bright orange stain on his behind.... I have the real thing in many sizes just couldn't bring myself to kill a raccoon. I actually like them so hopefully he learns from this little experience....
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
Andy use the neon colors that reflect at night  lol lol lol

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 02:30:24 PM »
I need to get me a paint ball gun for the yearly marauders that scale up to my fourth floor patio and go digging in my pond. I would have loved to have seen the height that masked bandit caught.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:02 PM »
I need to get me a paint ball gun for the yearly marauders that scale up to my fourth floor patio and go digging in my pond. I would have loved to have seen the height that masked bandit caught.

Cheers,
Sean

:o Your pond must be fishy enough for the rascals to smell something way up there!  :D

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
Would have loved to see that, knock on wood I do not (as of yet) have problems with racoons, heron now that is my problem..... >:(-
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
Oh you could have won some cash with a video of that!! lol
Kathy

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
THE HERON...... Oh that Ba$T@#! is next ........ little sting on the behind and a litlle retribution for me!!!! If ricky comes back tonight I will use the night vision on my Video cam....  ::)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
Would have loved to see that, knock on wood I do not (as of yet) have problems with racoons, heron now that is my problem..... >:(-

Ditto! The Heron took care of my last and most precious Koi. No more Koi for me, unless they are in protected, indoor ponds. I now refuse to pay over a hundred dollars for a single microscopic Heron meal. I could feed 2,000 finches twenty times over for that.

The raccoons around here don't bother my ponds or fish. They eat my garbage, eat my veggies, eat my canned salmon, marshmallows, grapes, and dog food; but they've never bothered with my fish. :) I guess that's why I feed them.  o(:-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »

Ditto! The Heron took care of my last and most precious Koi. No more Koi for me, unless they are in protected, indoor ponds. I now refuse to pay over a hundred dollars for a single microscopic Heron meal. I could feed 2,000 finches twenty times over for that.

The raccoons around here don't bother my ponds or fish. They eat my garbage, eat my veggies, eat my canned salmon, marshmallows, grapes, bananas, and dog food; but they've never bothered with my fish. :) I guess that's why I feed them.  o(:-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:03 PM »
trapped a weasel once...and gave it swimming lessons in the duck pond... we figured out later he could have swam better out of the trap...  {:-P;;  It was part of a group of weasels that invaded our chick brooder at a city park..and killed all of the chicks except one older one that had just enough wing to fly up on a shelf..  We lost over 30 baby chicks and ducks to those buggers.
Mary

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
I've treed a few coons with the hose—they really don't like being hosed, or barked at. I do a mean dog bark for fear factor. But they do come back, soon. I've hit them close range with an old pellet gun too. That makes them angry and one turned as if he was going to charge. If your not going lethal I'd recommend a big stick (baseball bat, golf club, whatever your sport) to back up your talk with them. Better safe than bitten.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
ever been hit by a paintball, THAT STINGS and mine will empty the tank rather quickly. if they were to brave that much pain then I will use the real thing because it must be rabid.....mine are never far from reach.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »
Thanks Rocmon - "mean dog bark". Now I get what is not working at my house. Two 14 year old, semi blind miniature poodles giving a sporting yap from the back door has not intimidated the beasts.

Trusty kitchen broom at the ready though - it is 3x or 4x weekly I am out there at 3am - the days of sleeping through the night just a distant dream.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
coons uesed to invade my hen house so I fixed them good! I ran a hot wire all the way around the yard. I put it so they couldn't dig under or climb over with out getting zapped! lol Didn't take long before they stayed away for good. And I had a german shepperd and a Saint. Guess they were sleeping on the job. :(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline fairlady

• Members
  • With us since: 07/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »
The ONLY thing that has worked for me is an electric fence. Three years ago a racoon wiped out my entire pond and destroyed the plants. I put the fence in....new fish...new plants.....no more problems. @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"