Author Topic: Black ice = a bad day in Michigan..  (Read 2155 times)

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
Black ice = a bad day in Michigan..
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:05 PM »
So one of my hobbies, besides ponding,  has always been to work on cars, from paint jobs and body work to engine changes and suspension lifts, I have always been one to take on a new project. Back in 1991 I purchased a 1988 Ford Thunderbird from a dealer in here in So. Cal. over the next 18 years I had done everything and anything to that vehicle. Last month I had made the decision to finally sell the car, mostly because I never drove it anymore, and it was slowly deteriorating from the lack of use. I am a member of another forum that is based on older T-birds and Cougars, one of the members there, a 19 year old kid from Michigan had posted a "wanted ad" requesting a clean 87-88 T-bird. I contacted the kid, and after exchanging multiple emails containing many pictures and videos of the car, and with his parents blessing, he purchased the car from me sight unseen for 3k. I sent it back to Michigan on one of our semi-trucks, had our driver meet him in a parking lot and drop off the car. He called me and told me many times over how happy he was, he had no idea that he was getting a show car! Today I logged on to the forum and discovered a post of his that contained some sad news, he was driving home from a friends house last night, hit some black ice, and slid into a pole. The pictures put a lump in my stomach, if he only new how much of my sweat went into that car... I feel very sorry for him as the car would probably cost more than it's worth to fix. Here are a few pictures, and as it turns out, it was actually featured in a calendar this year. Also, a link to the "after" pictures. Man I don't miss driving in those conditions either!

Tbird forum, scroll down to his screen name "hellsing73" for the after pictures:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=18120&page=2

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Black ice = a bad day in Michigan..
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:12:19 AM »
Wow Greg, that is just awful.  Being from Michigan and also being a car lover I can't understand why he was driving that car in that kind of weather.  The biggest plus is that he is ok. 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 07:09:16 AM »
That's a shame about the car, good thing the kid's okay and not in the "hostbile"...I'd hate to be in a hostbile!  lol

you did an awesome job on that car, it looks great!  I like that GT40....

Here's one of my projects that I'm anxious to get back on the road:

...and this is what's going in it:

The engine is going to the shop soon to get broken in, tuned and run on the dyno.  We're being conservative and thinking it might be about 350-375 horses...as if I really need more than that!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
Sorry about your car Greg, but glad the kid wasent hurt.
How sweet is that BlindToo o(:-)
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
OUCH!  I bet it hurt you more because it was your baby :(

Boys and their toys!  ;D

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »
Having put so much time, energy, money and love into that car it must hurt seeing what has happened to it.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »
That is sad. A labor of love gone away. I like working on VW Bugs myself.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 01:33:11 PM »
Ah man, that stinks! It looks like it was a really nice car.  :(
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:34:11 PM »
Thanks everyone, I am definitely glad that the kid was not hurt! Blind 'Too, 65' Plymouth Belvedere? 273 V8 maybe? I love old mopars, below are a few pics of my 70' Barracuda gran coupe. Bullfrog, on my to do list is finish rebuilding a old Manx vw buggy that I have sitting around, I have been meaning to get back on that project for some time now, however the Jeep kind of took it's place..As far as the GT 40 goes, we have the 001 Bill Ford car at our shop now, once every couple of months it needs to be driven and "cleaned out"

Greg

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 03:46:03 AM »
Awesome!! That looks like the old Challenger. That is a Cuda?

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 07:25:46 AM »
Oh boy, I'm glad my husband isn't here to see these pictures!  He is such a gearhead and loves his mopars!  In fact I've recently took a liking to the Cuda's!

Here is what we own, bet you can't guess which one is mine and which one is his!  LOL!!!

Cindi

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »
Sweet cars Cindi, is yours a 67' ? I am not sure of the exact Camaro years, but that is a awesome looking convertible! Maybe it's time for a new thread, "cars of the ponders"....

Greg

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 09:09:01 AM »
Nice rides, you guys!  Yeah, Greg...I've been a mopar fan since my first 'hot rod' ... a 70 Coronet with a 74 Cordoba engine/trans~plant and a super bee hood and period spoiler.  Even without really being built, that car would lift the front end off the line...I loved it!  You're correct...my current is a 65 Belvedere.  But that power plant is a rare one: 318 Poly.  Very few performance items are made for it anymore: one company makes headers (TTi - and they used my car for test fitting so I got the first set), one company makes valve covers (in Australia), nobody makes an intake manifold (Weiand stopped production a couple years ago and now they go for 2½ times what they were new.  The aluminum dual quad is a Weiand...made of 'unobtanium'...I've seen about 8 of them and this one is worth about $800 if I wanted to sell it. 

So it's an expensive motor, punched .060 over, port & polished heads, mild street cam.  It will accomplish what I set out for: being different!

Next time you need to wring out that GT40, please be sure to let me know and take me for a ride in it!  The most exotic car I've ever driven is a 930 Turbo.  I used to work for a company that sold high performance Porsche/BMW etc. parts and I was the US contact for Lamborghini parts for a couple years til I left.  We had all sorts of exotics in our shop...F40's, Testarossa's, Diablo's, Pantera's, an 800 hp twin turbo 911.  I loved selling clutch kits for the Countach - $5,200 parts, $5,000 labor! 

When I get the Plymouth back on the road I'll have to make a road trip and come visit you! 
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
Sweet cars Cindi, is yours a 67' ? I am not sure of the exact Camaro years, but that is a awesome looking convertible! Maybe it's time for a new thread, "cars of the ponders"....

Greg

It's a 68 and believe me I don't know how to tell them apart either.  I leave that up to the hubby.  LOL!!!  I would love to see other cars from our fellow ponders! 
Cindi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"