Author Topic: Koi medication question  (Read 1740 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi medication question
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
We have a light grey/off-white Koi in isolation that has a light pink spot on its side and it appears a few scales are not tight to the body in that area.  I have been doing the salt/Pimafix/Melafix routine for about a week and it isn't better or worse.  I'm thinking of putting a couple Jungle Parasite Clear tabs (prazi, metronidazole, acriflavine) in with that when I do a water change tomorrow. Fish swims normally not hugging the bottom but is not eating well.

Is it okay to use all of those things together?

Casey

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi medication question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »
You might have to get the fish out and clean out under those scales..get the infection out and swab with iodine.  Melafix and Pimafix aren't always the best things to use to fight an infection, and sometimes they seem to help.

A picture may be of some benefit. 
Mary

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:10:28 AM »
I would humbly suggest that some time be spent in determining if the fish has an infestation (as with parasites) rather than assuming it is  an infection (as with bacteria).   In a great majority of cases  a parasitic infestation will be a primary condition which if left untreated too long will result in an infection which of course would be a secondary condition.   In other words treating for parasites at the first sign of flashing, leaping, or porpoising, will often avoid any physical signs developing on the fish.   The treatments for parasites that are considered macro organisms like Argulus or Lernia would differ from the treatment for micro organisms like protozoa or body fungus.   As to the SHOTGUN THEARAPY  you are proposing……I and possibly your fish would be dead against it!!!!    Good luck!

Paul

Offline casey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:21:13 AM »
Thank you both for your suggestions.  I have no idea how to do any of this.  I am 99% water gardener who was given fish that had no home because I have a 5500 gallon pond.  I am trying to learn each solution as quickly as each problem occurs but it is not an instant process.  I only have the internet to try to identify the diseases and this one doesn't look like anything there.  It is barely visible and was only discovered because we feed our fish a little every day just so we can get them close for quick observation.  I don't have any clue how you get a 14-16" fish to roll over on its side for a photo.  We just haven't gotten them that well trained yet but we're working on it!  Seriously, if we try to take it out of the water and photo it, providing this very strong slippery fish will let us, won't we destroy its slim coat doijg even more harm?  And, is that what we are supposed to do anyway? 

I appreciate your comments but you must assume I know nothing because its nearly true.

Casey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:48:13 AM »
I too search the internet for answers when my fish/pond need help.  I'm definitely no pro at taking care of ill fish but shouldn't the fish be isolated, ie, put in a quarantine container before any treatment is done? 

I hope you find the answer soon.  Good luck!

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
It is in quarantine/isolation and has been for a good week or more.

Offline SuperTico

• Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
I spent thousands of hours teaching folks fish " fixing"/
Go and study instead of yapping.
Parasites lead to bacterial infections////ALWAYS.
Buy a microscope and study, The info is out there,
 Guys Like Thom Blischock, Jim Reilly, Steve Childers, Uncle Karl Schoeller, Brett. Brady,Roark, Savvy,Tim and Peter Waddington. Maurice , Doc Conrad, Doc Jim Phillips and myself have posted immense amounts of guidance on the web over the years.
Use it.
It is the correct way.
Forget Mr Doctor Wonder___full ___of crap... from The Atlanta area ( being quiet as I am new here).
Im sure some commentzzzzzz about me will appear . 8)
 They are all true !!!!

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
Hey, you!!!!  Nicaragua?  I thought you went to Costa Rica?  Good to "see" you, wherever you are!  Huggzzzz, Blam Man!
Lynda

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »
WOO HOO - Blamoooozzzz here!

www.click2roark.com
has lots of good info.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"