Author Topic: Oops  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Oops
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:51:50 AM »
Sorry, I had to edit this as the company is very sensitive about what information goes out and by whom. Suffice to to say I got injured at work. They took me to the hospital and they think that I ripped my Achilles tendon loose from the back of my knee.

I'll get Cat Scan tomorrow as the joint clinic is open on Saturday. They gave me two large Vicodin at 04:30 and I'm administering Bacardi Rum and Diet 7. I'm on my third one now as I have to call into our medical department this morning so I am putting you all on a fair warning.

If my posts stagger around and fall down, please just forgive me. Pick up my words, brush them off and try to see what it was that I was trying to say. I have to wait for medical to open.

The hospital wanted to put a hard cast from my butt to my ankle that the joint clinic would have just cut off tomorrow. I refused. If it is the Achilles tendon they will have to open the claf and pull it up and reattach it to my tibula with screws. We are talking several months of rehab. I hope not.

I will drive you fine people nuts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:11:14 PM by Bullfrog »

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:31:48 AM »
Oh Bullfrog,  I'm so sorry to hear you've hurt yourself.  Sounds extremely painful.  With any luck it won't be any worse than you think it may be right now and with even better luck it won't be too bad at all.  Take good care of yourself.  emm

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »
Bullfrog, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you get better soon! My best friend is a firefighter/engineer here in Palm Springs, 3 years ago he separated his shoulder while on top of a structure venting. That afternoon he went for a MRI and if I remember the story correctly, they found some buildup, or cartilage in his shoulder socket, needless to say, they did surgery, scrapped out the buildup etc. He was off work for 3 months, didn't shave, had plenty of kettleone and lemonade on hand, and spent plenty of time over my house. During that time I had to go to West Yellowstone and film a Ford Commercial in the winter there, Ron flew up there, spent a day on set with me, and then we drove home together. I guess the point of that story was even though he was off of work hurt, we had some good times and great memories. Anyway, we will keep you in our prayers and hope you heal up quickly!

Greg

Offline wolfmom

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »
Bullfrog, so sorry to hear you've been injured. Good thoughts and prayers will be your constant companion. Get better, and do what the Doctor says.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
Bulfrog, That  sound's extremely painful ! Will be keeping u in my prayer's too & as far as driveing us nut's....
you're too late there's a few other's who already done that...( BONNIE ( from IN)  lol .....Christy .... lol...) but don't tell them I said that!

bonnie ( from OH.)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »
Sounds painful.  Sometimes drugs are a good thing @O@

What you experienced is all too often the result of being a first responder.  Athletes know the importance of stretching prior to strenuous physical exertion.  First responders, be they police, fire or lifeguards, are often sitting on their a$$ all relaxed and suddenly they are called into immediate strenuous physical activity which can result in injury.  Take care...........
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »
Ouch, Big Time!!  Hope it's not so bad an injury and you feel better soon! 

Please drive us nuts!  What fine people?  Kidding!!!  ;D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:38:22 AM »
That's not good.  Sorry you got hurt, that's a bummer.  Hope it heals fast!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »
OH NO. When I saw the reference to an injury in another post I thought you had been burned. I don't know what is worse. I worked with a gal that broke one of her achilles tendons playing tennis. Not good. Well we'll be here for whenever you need someone to be obnoxious to, BF.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
Wow. Lets hope it is not as bad as they think it is. And the driving us crazy part, for some of us it would be a short drive :D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
On no, big ouch :cry:
At least it didn't  :blowup:
Hoping for good news tomorrow ;)

Karen

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
Again i had to edit to eliminate company information, sorry if anyone reads this for the first time and gets confused.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:12:52 PM by Bullfrog »

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »
OK, going to bed now. Please forgive me if I said anything bad. I am full of beer and painkillers and my knee does not hurt now.

Goodnight good friends.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 06:50:48 PM »
May you sink into a comfortable dreamless sleep and when you awake your mind is refreshed.  Praying for you and for your leg as you begin the task of healing and dealing with "the company".  Seen lots of what you are talking about....standfast and be persistant, it WILL pay off.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
OK, it turns out that the Beaumont Bone and Joint Clinic is open on
Saturday only during football season so I have to wait until Monday morning for a Cat Scan to verify that it is an Achilles tendon tear.

So today and tomorrow I just wait to find out if I need surgery or not. This may get a little complicated as my wife has a trip booked to see her parents. Her Mother just had a stint placed in her heart and she needs to go and see her. This trip has been planned for months now.

We didn't know that I would be injured and on crutches. My Son will come tomorrow after Church and take me to Tractor Supply. I ordered a fifty pound dog feeder so our dogs would be OK when we took a vaction.

It seems that now I won't be able to feed them as I am on crutches. Once again, God was at the wheel. He will carry the feeder and the 50 pounds of dog food and load it.

I'm really glad that I have kids that I can call and say "Hey, Dad is crippled right now, can you help me please?"

And that they run to help me. I am truly blessed.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
You must have done something right!  You are blessed but it took some doing from the way you raise your kids.  o(:-)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
That is a tough one, but you will get better and have many friends to carry you through.

Joe Dimaggio's career was ended by a Achillies teare, but you don't have to play major league ball.  and oh yeah, he went on to marry Marlyn Monroe! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
Good luck Bullfrog. 

Workman's comp should support an aide, so once your diagnosis is clear I hope you will get more support.  I wish you good luck and tell the Big Oil company to start living up to its promises..Hazmat and emergency teams are special service and the people working in them are heros!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »
One of the most difficult jobs I had was when I transferred to the Personnel Division of the police department.  I wore many hats in that assignment, one of which was workers comp.  What a mess that system was.  It was a 5-ring circus involving the injured employee's lawyers, our city attorney lawyers, the city doctor, the injured employee's doctor and me trying to figure out who's on first. 

Good employees felt left out in the cold and bad employees & their attorneys just milked the system for every cent.  When we suspected abuse we would take video of off-work employees doing physical activities that they shouldn't be doing.  The video would then be shown to the employee's treating physician, who was keeping him off work @ 100% pay, and the doctor would usually be embarrassed and return the employee back to work either full duty or limited duty.  Injured safety members in CA get 100% of their salary for up to a year when injured on the job.  This applies for every separate claim they have.  One chronic abuser had 12 or so separate claims and it was a department joke as to which injury he would use to take off Christmas.  At one point he was off work with a shoulder injury.  We had video of him roofing his house, carrying stacks of asphalt roofing material up a ladder onto the roof.  (He reportedly had bad knees as well....)  The video was turned over to his quack doctor who always covered for him and after reviewing the video the doctor said he felt the exercise of lifting 60lb shingle bundles and carrying them on his shoulder was good rehabilitative exercise.  He did however suggest reducing the number of such repetitions...  ::)

Having seen a tremendous amount of abuse I can see why they ask you those questions although they are insulting questions to ask someone who did nothing wrong.  It's almost similar to investigating a homicide when you ask the surviving spouse, "Where were you during the hours of.....?" but it has to be asked.

Take care my friend

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
oh wow! On all accounts :( I really hope it's not as bad as you fear. Sounds like you have a fair amount of support from family and friends.. speaks really highly of you :) Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 05:00:11 AM »
I understand Mikey, there is a lot of abuse and I have seen it. They do have a policy that nobody walks in the gate under the influence of painkillers/narcotics so why do they ask can I come in and sit behind a desk?

Am I supposed to drive there?  :D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
And once there do they want you to be loaded on meds at work and making decisions? lol  "Okay buddy; take that pallet of highly corrosive stuff that just arrived and store it over there next to that tank of chlorine gas...."

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
I am full of beer and painkillers and my knee does not hurt now.

{nono} {nono} {nono} {nono} Tisk, tisk, you should know better. >:(- ;)

I'm really sorry about your accident. I hope the healing process won't be too complicated for you. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
OK, great news. It wasn't a tendon after all so no surgery will be required. I tore or ruptured the Plantaris muscle in the upper calf. I feel better already just knowing this.

The doctor said the plantaris muscle is about as big around as a pencil and it runs from the knee to the heel. He also said "You don't need it."

I beg to differ, God does not put things in us that we don't need. We might can live without it but is a part of the big picture. They sure do hurt when they pop.

I am to stay on crutches, get off the vicodin and on alleve and sit behind a desk on light duty for the next four days. Then I get my 7 off.  ;D

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 01:27:58 PM »
So glad to hear it's not a torn ligiment! But I would think that your Dr. knows best and if pain meds are still needed and lots of rest that L&I should have to pay you? right?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
Nope, no more vicodin and I'm really glad. The dreams get so lucid that you feel like you are not sleeping at all.

It is back to the salt mines at 05:00 AM tomorrow behind a desk. I'd rahter have a root canal but that is my lot in life. I'm just glad there will be no surgery.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
Well alriety then! But I'll go ahead and have a drink or two for ya. It's still pretty cold out so I think I'll start with a hot buttered rum to take up to the barn with me.  {:-P;;
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »
Glad it's not as bad as it could have been.  Bad enough though.  emm

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »
The doctor said the plantaris muscle is about as big around as a pencil and it runs from the knee to the heel. He also said "You don't need it."

Then why is it there to begin with?!!?   :D

Glad you're alright and hopefully mending.  Sure will miss the doped up Bullfrog!   {:-P;; {nono}

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »
Glad to hear the good news BF.

Maybe that is like our tonsils and appendix. They must have some job but it isn't all that important. Really, we can get along without a lot of the things in our body if we had to I guess. Like I get along without a lot of my brain. LOL.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"