Author Topic: Filtered water lily pics  (Read 3098 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Filtered water lily pics
« on: August 09, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »
Hello!

Sure did miss the forum today, pretty dissappointed that pond scum idiots hacked the forum.

So lets cheer things up a bit. Here are two pictures of the same (unnamed) lily, one taken with no filter, and the other with a polarizing filter lens.

Can you tell which one was taken with the filter?  ;)

Honestly, I can't really tell the difference- but then again, I can't figure out how to use the polarizing filter anyway.  :D
What do you think?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Filtered water lily pics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:23:50 PM »
I cannot tell the difference but I sure the love the lilly.. she is beautiful!

tinkster

Offline Tammi CA

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Life is what you make it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »
Hi Karen~~~~I cannot tell the difference, but nice photos of a pretty lily!

Tammi
I just need a few more plants, but where does it ever end!!!????

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:05:33 PM »
I can't tell either but she sure is pretty :)

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 09:33:42 PM »
I can not tell the difference. Looks beautiful to me. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »
If everything is the same, except the filter, I'll put my money on the second one. Notice the lack of shine or glare reflecting? yea i know it depends on where you look, but at least I'll venture a guess. Though if it's a bug filter, the ones on the second photo are filtered right out of the picture. :o

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »
I think its the 2nd pic too.  But the both look great!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:17:50 AM »
Rocmon and Ky Kim you are both right. I took the first pic, put the filter on, then took the second pic within a minute.

The filter has a thing that you turn, presumably to get the best filtering. I suspect that I'd be better able to judge if I were using the eyepiece instead of the LCD. I'd appreciate your input, if anyone can explain how it works.  ?)(?

I resurrected this lilly this year, it had been sitting it it's pot for 4 years (neglected) and I was going to toss it into the compost. I've been through the "identification" process several times with this one, and could never figure out what it was. The pic makes it look a little more orangy or reddish than it is in real life. It's more of a buttery yellow, with just a few flecks of red at the bases of some petals. Marylin once suggested that maybe it was a seedling of Texas Dawn.
Karen

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 07:35:12 AM »
I am glad you saved it. It is beautiful.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:46:09 AM »
I don't think lilies really need names to be worthy of keeping in our ponds - they just need to bloom and be pretty.  That one fulfills both requirements . . .

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 08:01:36 AM »
Karen I'm still learning how to use a polarizing filter, but the best way for me to explain to you is that the sun needs to be behind either your left or right shoulder.  Then you slowly turn your filter and you will see results.  It takes lots of practice so don't feel bad.  I'm sure someone will have a better explanation, but this method works well for me.  HTH a little bit. 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
yup, its the second one. on your polarizer there is a white dot or a little pin sticking out. to get the best effect, take the photo 90 degrees to the sun and point the white dot or pin to the sun.

lou

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »
Sorry for picking your brains so much, but I really am a "point & shoot" gal, and have real problems with photography.

Louis, Well Butter My Butt And Call Me a Biscuit! There really is a white mark on the lens!
"take the photo 90 degrees to the sun and point the white dot or pin to the sun."

OK, I get pointing the white dot, but not sure I get "90* from the sun" part. I have never been very good at that kind of thing. Do you think you could give me a simplified example of what you mean? I'd really appreciate it.

Cindi, When doing that, do you use the regular viewfinder or the LCD screen?

Thank you.

Karen

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
Well Butter My Butt And Call Me a Biscuit!
Just when I thought that I had heard everything ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:02:56 PM by eagleeye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 05:30:42 AM »
Karen I always use the viewfinder.  I use to always use the LCD screen, but since I got my new camera and have been learning more I found out that it's best to always use the viewfinder.  So I can't really tell you which one works better.  I didn't know about pointing the white dot thing either!  I learned something new!  I know they are tricky to learn and master, but I just keep plugging along!   8)
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline benbojor

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 07:04:55 PM »
Beautiful shot. I was thinking it resembled my Sioux(sp) changeable.Mine starts nearly solid yellow and each day the base shows more color pinky/peachy.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 09:45:27 PM »
Yes Louis is the camera man... :D

I don't know much about cameras, but if your looking through the view finder and what you see is the view that is coming through the camera lens that's where you want to look. If not then the LCD is going to be better?If you had a magnifying glass and a black hood covering it all so you could actually see what your taking a picture of. :o

I'm going to invent an eyepiece that goes over the LCD which magnifies it and encloses it, so you can see it in the sun and tell if it's really in focus.... in my spare time. It's so frustrating to download a bunch of pictures to the computer to find they're all fuzzy.

Offline krandy21784

• Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
You didnt mention what kind of camera did you take the pictures with? 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"